Send photos, video and news by texting GUARDIAN SERIES to 80360 (cost 10p), or email us
Droppings found in kitchen, storage area and food containers
A ‘high risk’ takeaway closed down after food inspectors found a mouse infestation and dangerous bacteria.
Double Pizza and China Golden Gate in Lea Bridge Road, Leyton, was allowed to re-open four days after being closed down by Waltham Forest Council on January 24.
The outlet, which has a two star hygiene rating, was found to have mouse droppings in the kitchen, food storage areas and food containers.
Inspectors also raised concerns over hygiene and inadequate cleanliness, and the growth of dangerous food poisoning bacteria as a result of poor temperature control.
Following the inspection, the council obtained an emergency prohibition order from Stratford Magistrates Court to shut the premises down.
A council spokesman said: “Upon satisfying inspectors that all the emergency issues outlined by the court had been addressed, the outlet was allowed to re-open on 28 January.”
The council is however preparing to prosecute the takeway and has said the premises will remain on its list of ‘high risk’ businesses until inspectors are satisfied that food safety is being properly managed.
Prior to the inspection, the premises was last assessed in September 2012.
Councillor Clyde Loakes, deputy leader and cabinet member for environment, said: "Cleaning, storing food at the right temperature, adhering to hygienic practices – these are all things that need to be taken very seriously.
"We will uncover them, we will shut them down if they pose a serious risk to health, we will put them in front of magistrates, and we will make them change their ways.
"And don’t think that’s the end of it. This takeaway may be open again, but we will prosecute them for having played fast and loose with the wellbeing of our residents and I am confident the court will again back us up and punish the owners appropriately."
The Guardian is awaiting comment from the takeaway.
Comments are closed on this article.