9:29am Tuesday 5th May 2015 content supplied by Netmums

Teaching Assistants (TAs) and Learning Support Assistants (LSAs) do not actually require a formal qualification to teach at entry-level in state-funded schools. But as competition is usually high for posts, and because each school or local authority can decide what skills they want their school staff to have, it is usually advisable to have some training behind you. If you have some nursing or childcare qualifications these may be useful in getting a foot in the door, but whatever your background and experience the first step is to try and get some informal, voluntary work at a local school for a few hours' a week (bear in mind you'll need a relevant up-to-date CRB check to do so.)

read full story

More news

Family health interactive guides

Find more interactive guides in our family food section

Family events

May 2015
26 27 28 29 30 1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
31 1 2 3 4 5 6


  • Deaths - Flora McArdle

    Flora McArdle Beloved sister, mother, grandmother and great-grandmother. Died peacefully on

  • Birthdays - Carlos Bell

    Carlos Bell Happy 12th birthday, lots of love from mum xx

  • Marriages - Helen Silk

    Mr and Mrs Nigel Silk are delighted to announce the engagement of their daughter Helen to Paul,

  • Births - Maximilian Tharratt

    Maximilian Dennis Tharratt Born 1st April 2013. All our love Mummy and Daddy xxx

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree