Leyton Orient kept up the pressure on leaders Brentford after a deserved 2-0 win at home to Coventry City in League 1 this evening. 

Orient dominated the first half but missed chances prevented them from scoring. The hosts were awarded a penalty in the second period but Kevin Lisbie's spot kick was saved by Joe Murphy.

But the O's almost immediately netted the opening goal, in the 57th minute, when Dean Cox volleyed home.

Orient killed off the contest in the 81st minute when David Mooney marked his return from injury with a fierce strike to seal an 18th league win of the season. 

The O's made two changes from the side which won at Crewe with Chris Dagnall handed his full debut after his brace from off the bench. The new signing replaced Robbie Simpson while top scorer Mooney made a welcome return after being named as a substitute.

Midfielder Romain Vincelot returned to the starting lineup with Jamie Ness, who this afternoon extended his loan until the end of the season, dropping down to the bench. 

Orient made a bright start and went close when Cox's low strike was parried by Murphy.

The hosts kept up the pressure and were unlucky not to take the lead when a game of pinball broke out in the Coventry area but the visitors survived. 

The Sky Blues' first effort came through captain Carl Baker but his long distance strike was held by Orient keeper Eldin Jakupovic. 

Cox again had a decent opportunity to score after being released by Dagnall but the winger's shot hit the side netting. 

The O's should have done better from an enticing cross by Lloyd James but Lisbie and Dagnall both went for the same ball and headed it wide.  

Orient continued to pepper the away goal and missed another glaring chance when Moses Odubajo set up Dagnall but the striker blasted over the bar. 

Odubajo was looking the main threat for the hosts and the winger sent in a cross-shot which was just too close to Murphy.

The O's made a promising start to the second half and again were close to grabbing a deserved opener but Lisbie's shot was blocked by Murphy's legs. 

Orient were almost caught out, totally against the run of play, but Franck Moussa's strike was superbly tipped around the post by Jakupovic. 

The hosts were awarded a penalty when Dagnall was tripped in the area. Lisbie stepped up but his effort was pushed away by Murphy.

However the O's put this disappointment behind them as from the next attack Nathan Clarke sent in a long throw and Cox volleyed home the opener. 

Orient kept pushing for a second goal and nearly got it when James sent a fizzing effort just wide after a slight deflection. 

The O's should have doubled their advantage when the ball fell to Cox but he sliced it wide of the target with the goal at his mercy. 

Coventry were still dangerous on the break and were denied twice in the space of a couple of minutes when Moussa and Baker were thwarted by excellent Jakupovic saves.

Russell Slade made his first change when he introduced Scottish midfielder Ness in place of goalscorer Cox. 

It did not take long for the O's to make a second substitution as Mooney came on for Lisbie in his first appearance since the start of December. 

Mooney made a quick impact as the striker hit a fierce shot from outside the area which Murphy could only push into his own net. 

The O's had few problems in the closing moments as they earned a fourth consecutive victory in the league. 

Leyton Orient: Jakupovic; Omozusi, Clarke, Baudry, Cuthbert (Sawyer, 89); Cox (Ness, 75), James, Vincelot, Odubajo; Dagnall, Lisbie (Mooney, 77)

Subs not used: Larkins, Bartley, Loza, Simpson

Coventry City: Murphy; Adams, Seabourne, Webster, Christie; Daniels (Slager, 62), Baker, Fleck, C Thomas; Moussa (Barton, 87), Thomas (Clarke, HT)

Subs not used: Willis, Phillips, Haynes, Burge

Referee: Michael Bull

Attendance: 5,077