Leyton Orient battle back to win at Oldham Athletic

The O's conceded the opening goal at Oldham this afternoon: Simon O'Connor

The O's conceded the opening goal at Oldham this afternoon: Simon O'Connor

First published in Football
Last updated
East London and West Essex Guardian Series: Photograph of the Author by

Leyton Orient fought back to claim their first League 1 win of the season after a 3-1 victory at Oldham Athletic this afternoon. 

Oldham took the lead after 16 minutes, with their first effort on target, when Jonathan Forte unlocked the O's defence and netted.

But Orient grabbed an equaliser within four minutes when Darius Henderson was released and scored for the second weekend in a row.

The visitors took the lead during the second half with an excellent counter-attack resulting in David Mooney scoring his first goal of the season.  The O's sealed the three points late on when Kevin Lisbie headed home with his first touch as a substitute. 

The O's handed a first start to Henderson after he recovered from the neck injury which kept him out of the midweek Plymouth trip. Scott Cuthbert made his first start of the season which meant Elliot Omozusi was only on the bench.

Oldham got off to a lively start and opened the scoring when Forte broke away and fired a shot past keeper Adam Legzdins.

But the O's produced an excellent response and claimed a quick equaliser when Dean Cox released Henderson and he tucked away his second goal of the season.

Oldham captain Liam Kelly was looking dangerous and nearly restored their lead but he scuffed an effort wide of the target.

Russell Slade's side nearly went in front when Cuthbert's header was cleared off the line.

The hosts went close again to netting a second goal but Kelly could not sidefoot his effort the wrong side of the post from close range. 

Orient took the lead for the first time in the league this season, after 58 minutes, when Cox and Henderson combined to release Mooney and he tucked a low shot into the corner of the net. 

Slade made his first substitution midway through the half when Jobi McAnuff replaced Jay Simpson.

Orient also introduced Lisbie in the final ten minutes as he replaced goalscorer Henderson. 

The substitute made an immediate impact as he headed in Cox's corner to score the O's third goal with his first touch.

This sealed the points for Orient and ensured they got off the mark in the league and produced a welcome response to their opening defeat against Chesterfield last weekend. 

Oldham Athletic: Rachubka; Brown, Wilson, Elokobi, Mills; Winchester (Dayton, 79), Jones, Dieng (Philliskirk, 63), Kelly; Forte, Clarke-Harris (Noble, 80)

Subs not used: Coleman, Gros, Mellor, Kusunga

Leyton Orient: Legzdins; Lowry, Clarke, Baudry, Cuthbert; Cox, Vincelot, Pritchard, Simpson (McAnuff, 67); Mooney, Henderson (Lisbie, 80)

Subs not used: Omozusi, Sawyer, James, Lee, Woods

Referee: Darren Bond

Attendance: 3,754 (193 Orient fans)

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree