POLICE have handed out to advice to residents who will celebrate a Hindu festival next week.
During Diwali, or 'the festival of light', police experience a rise in burglaries due to more gold and jewellery being present in Asian homes across the borough.
Redbridge Police have given the following advice in a bid to prevent people becoming victims of theft:
- Be careful who you show your jewellery to
- Buy a small safe to keep valuable and sentimental items in and secure it to a wall or solid floor
- Do not keep large amounts of jewellery at home if possible
- Do not keep valuable jewellery on display
- Take a photo of each item on a dark background and keep a receipt of when an item was bought
- Inform your insurance company of any items of high value