Walthamstow takeaway wants to stay open until 5am seven days a week

First published in News East London and West Essex Guardian Series: Photograph of the Author by , Senior reporter

POLICE have objected to a takeaway's bid to serve food until 5am seven days a week amid fears it may attract gangs.

The owners of Kebabish in Palmerston Road, Walthamstow, have applied for a licence to extended its hours - which includes staying open until 6am on weekends but not serving anything after 5am.

But a council report said its licensing team had previously received unsubstantiated complaints that the takeaway was already illegally staying open until 5am.  

Kebabish applied for the new licence after the council sent it a warning about staying open too late.

PC John Ruby, Waltham Forest Police's Licensing Officer, said the business was in a residential area with no other premises open into the early hours.

He wrote in an objection letter to the council: "The fear is therefore that having one late night freshment takeaway shop in this area open until 5am would become a focus for criminal activity potentially involving gangs and anti-social behaviour".

Kebabish says it will install a new CCTV and alarm systems, as well as give refresher safety training to staff.

A licensing panel of councillors will meet to vote on the application at 10am on Tuesday November 20 at Waltham Forest Town Hall.

No residents have objected to the plans.

Comments (20)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

3:48pm Thu 8 Nov 12

Cornbeefur says...

Who, apart from Night Workers will be wanting to eat this type of greasy fare in the early hours of the morning? Even then, could they work efficiently on this rich food?

The only others out will be ferals who will flock around there like moths round a light bulb.

Hope it is refused.
Who, apart from Night Workers will be wanting to eat this type of greasy fare in the early hours of the morning? Even then, could they work efficiently on this rich food? The only others out will be ferals who will flock around there like moths round a light bulb. Hope it is refused. Cornbeefur
  • Score: 0

3:53pm Thu 8 Nov 12

Spacial_Doughnut says...

Pub???
Pub??? Spacial_Doughnut
  • Score: 0

6:27pm Thu 8 Nov 12

mdj says...

'No residents have objected to the plans.'

If it's anything like the CPZ 'consultations', they probably haven't heard about it.
'No residents have objected to the plans.' If it's anything like the CPZ 'consultations', they probably haven't heard about it. mdj
  • Score: 0

9:18pm Thu 8 Nov 12

SXH says...

I tend to agree with the Police on this one, i would object if our local takeaway wanted to open all night, taking into account the litter left behind residents have to live with, that does'nt always get swept.
I tend to agree with the Police on this one, i would object if our local takeaway wanted to open all night, taking into account the litter left behind residents have to live with, that does'nt always get swept. SXH
  • Score: 0

8:32am Fri 9 Nov 12

HottRedMan says...

Cornbeefur wrote:
Who, apart from Night Workers will be wanting to eat this type of greasy fare in the early hours of the morning? Even then, could they work efficiently on this rich food?

The only others out will be ferals who will flock around there like moths round a light bulb.

Hope it is refused.
Maybe you would go to it (claridger, aka mr khalid) after all didnt you feed your greyhouds kebab from the one down walthamstow market about a year or 2 ago.

I assumed this one on Palmerston Rd had a late licence as I went past many times late at night and saw them open.
[quote][p][bold]Cornbeefur[/bold] wrote: Who, apart from Night Workers will be wanting to eat this type of greasy fare in the early hours of the morning? Even then, could they work efficiently on this rich food? The only others out will be ferals who will flock around there like moths round a light bulb. Hope it is refused.[/p][/quote]Maybe you would go to it (claridger, aka mr khalid) after all didnt you feed your greyhouds kebab from the one down walthamstow market about a year or 2 ago. I assumed this one on Palmerston Rd had a late licence as I went past many times late at night and saw them open. HottRedMan
  • Score: 0

8:35am Fri 9 Nov 12

Isaythat says...

No. simple. The council should not waste time and money on proposals of this kind. It should be turned down flat and not have out taxes spent in this way. There can be no community benefit to any shop in a residential road being open through the night. I would go further and suggest all A5 shops have an identical max closing time, reassuring locals the goal post cannot be moved.
No. simple. The council should not waste time and money on proposals of this kind. It should be turned down flat and not have out taxes spent in this way. There can be no community benefit to any shop in a residential road being open through the night. I would go further and suggest all A5 shops have an identical max closing time, reassuring locals the goal post cannot be moved. Isaythat
  • Score: 0

9:55am Fri 9 Nov 12

Cornbeefur says...

HottRedMan wrote:
Cornbeefur wrote:
Who, apart from Night Workers will be wanting to eat this type of greasy fare in the early hours of the morning? Even then, could they work efficiently on this rich food?

The only others out will be ferals who will flock around there like moths round a light bulb.

Hope it is refused.
Maybe you would go to it (claridger, aka mr khalid) after all didnt you feed your greyhouds kebab from the one down walthamstow market about a year or 2 ago.

I assumed this one on Palmerston Rd had a late licence as I went past many times late at night and saw them open.
I personally abhor this kind of fare.

I would rather have eels,pies mashes and lashings of gravys at the eels mashes and pies emporium in the market.

Other than that a Wild Net caught hare from one of the deli's in marylebone would do me.

However, neither of theaforementioned at 5am.
[quote][p][bold]HottRedMan[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Cornbeefur[/bold] wrote: Who, apart from Night Workers will be wanting to eat this type of greasy fare in the early hours of the morning? Even then, could they work efficiently on this rich food? The only others out will be ferals who will flock around there like moths round a light bulb. Hope it is refused.[/p][/quote]Maybe you would go to it (claridger, aka mr khalid) after all didnt you feed your greyhouds kebab from the one down walthamstow market about a year or 2 ago. I assumed this one on Palmerston Rd had a late licence as I went past many times late at night and saw them open.[/p][/quote]I personally abhor this kind of fare. I would rather have eels,pies mashes and lashings of gravys at the eels mashes and pies emporium in the market. Other than that a Wild Net caught hare from one of the deli's in marylebone would do me. However, neither of theaforementioned at 5am. Cornbeefur
  • Score: 0

3:03pm Fri 9 Nov 12

Wizza_b says...

How much would a wild net caught hare form a marylebone deli cost these days?
Been a while since i`ve bought one !
How much would a wild net caught hare form a marylebone deli cost these days? Been a while since i`ve bought one ! Wizza_b
  • Score: 0

5:57pm Fri 9 Nov 12

Cornbeefur says...

Wizza_b wrote:
How much would a wild net caught hare form a marylebone deli cost these days?
Been a while since i`ve bought one !
Surprisingly cheap at around £9.00,
Rabbits are about £6.00. Although much cheaper in Suffolk if you know the right people. rabbit as low as £2.50. Use a lot of rabbit as dog food there which is a shame.

The Fluffy Toy Hare that ran around the Stow is the closest most Walthamstow will ever be to one sadly. Very tasty meat especially when cooked in a rich full bodied wine stock with the offal, or even jugged.
[quote][p][bold]Wizza_b[/bold] wrote: How much would a wild net caught hare form a marylebone deli cost these days? Been a while since i`ve bought one ![/p][/quote]Surprisingly cheap at around £9.00, Rabbits are about £6.00. Although much cheaper in Suffolk if you know the right people. rabbit as low as £2.50. Use a lot of rabbit as dog food there which is a shame. The Fluffy Toy Hare that ran around the Stow is the closest most Walthamstow will ever be to one sadly. Very tasty meat especially when cooked in a rich full bodied wine stock with the offal, or even jugged. Cornbeefur
  • Score: 0

7:57pm Fri 9 Nov 12

Alan_1976 says...

Cornbeefur wrote:
Wizza_b wrote:
How much would a wild net caught hare form a marylebone deli cost these days?
Been a while since i`ve bought one !
Surprisingly cheap at around £9.00,
Rabbits are about £6.00. Although much cheaper in Suffolk if you know the right people. rabbit as low as £2.50. Use a lot of rabbit as dog food there which is a shame.

The Fluffy Toy Hare that ran around the Stow is the closest most Walthamstow will ever be to one sadly. Very tasty meat especially when cooked in a rich full bodied wine stock with the offal, or even jugged.
If you actually knew the area you would know of a number of places to get hare in Walthamstow.
[quote][p][bold]Cornbeefur[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Wizza_b[/bold] wrote: How much would a wild net caught hare form a marylebone deli cost these days? Been a while since i`ve bought one ![/p][/quote]Surprisingly cheap at around £9.00, Rabbits are about £6.00. Although much cheaper in Suffolk if you know the right people. rabbit as low as £2.50. Use a lot of rabbit as dog food there which is a shame. The Fluffy Toy Hare that ran around the Stow is the closest most Walthamstow will ever be to one sadly. Very tasty meat especially when cooked in a rich full bodied wine stock with the offal, or even jugged.[/p][/quote]If you actually knew the area you would know of a number of places to get hare in Walthamstow. Alan_1976
  • Score: 0

7:19am Sat 10 Nov 12

Cornbeefur says...

Alan_1976 wrote:
Cornbeefur wrote:
Wizza_b wrote:
How much would a wild net caught hare form a marylebone deli cost these days?
Been a while since i`ve bought one !
Surprisingly cheap at around £9.00,
Rabbits are about £6.00. Although much cheaper in Suffolk if you know the right people. rabbit as low as £2.50. Use a lot of rabbit as dog food there which is a shame.

The Fluffy Toy Hare that ran around the Stow is the closest most Walthamstow will ever be to one sadly. Very tasty meat especially when cooked in a rich full bodied wine stock with the offal, or even jugged.
If you actually knew the area you would know of a number of places to get hare in Walthamstow.
If it is anywhere near the pretentious Village then I am not interested.

I often shop around Walthamstow. I buy fish weekly from Davies at the Bakers Arms, Fruit and veg down the Market (avoid the bowls though).
[quote][p][bold]Alan_1976[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Cornbeefur[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Wizza_b[/bold] wrote: How much would a wild net caught hare form a marylebone deli cost these days? Been a while since i`ve bought one ![/p][/quote]Surprisingly cheap at around £9.00, Rabbits are about £6.00. Although much cheaper in Suffolk if you know the right people. rabbit as low as £2.50. Use a lot of rabbit as dog food there which is a shame. The Fluffy Toy Hare that ran around the Stow is the closest most Walthamstow will ever be to one sadly. Very tasty meat especially when cooked in a rich full bodied wine stock with the offal, or even jugged.[/p][/quote]If you actually knew the area you would know of a number of places to get hare in Walthamstow.[/p][/quote]If it is anywhere near the pretentious Village then I am not interested. I often shop around Walthamstow. I buy fish weekly from Davies at the Bakers Arms, Fruit and veg down the Market (avoid the bowls though). Cornbeefur
  • Score: 0

8:14am Sat 10 Nov 12

E17_er says...

Good grasp of geography as you would need to avoid the Bakers arms given that it is "near the village".

Avoid the bowls? Sounds pretentious behaviour to me....
Good grasp of geography as you would need to avoid the Bakers arms given that it is "near the village". Avoid the bowls? Sounds pretentious behaviour to me.... E17_er
  • Score: 0

12:36pm Sat 10 Nov 12

Cornbeefur says...

Please do not tell me that people wearing Cranberry Tinted Spectacles have extended the imaginary 'Boundary' of the Glorious Walthamstow Village to the Bakers Arms?

I don't believe it!
Please do not tell me that people wearing Cranberry Tinted Spectacles have extended the imaginary 'Boundary' of the Glorious Walthamstow Village to the Bakers Arms? I don't believe it! Cornbeefur
  • Score: 0

2:19pm Sat 10 Nov 12

Kestral1410 says...

I thought eating food promoted social behaviour?!? Its been there years and the food isn't that bad otherwise it wouldn't still be there after all these years!
I thought eating food promoted social behaviour?!? Its been there years and the food isn't that bad otherwise it wouldn't still be there after all these years! Kestral1410
  • Score: 0

2:56pm Sat 10 Nov 12

E17_er says...

Cornbeefur wrote:
Please do not tell me that people wearing Cranberry Tinted Spectacles have extended the imaginary 'Boundary' of the Glorious Walthamstow Village to the Bakers Arms?

I don't believe it!
You seem to have real word comprehension issues. Near is not the same as In.
[quote][p][bold]Cornbeefur[/bold] wrote: Please do not tell me that people wearing Cranberry Tinted Spectacles have extended the imaginary 'Boundary' of the Glorious Walthamstow Village to the Bakers Arms? I don't believe it![/p][/quote]You seem to have real word comprehension issues. Near is not the same as In. E17_er
  • Score: 0

3:35pm Sat 10 Nov 12

Alan_1976 says...

"Village house prices spiral after Cornbeefur exclusion zone realised. Marylebone property fire sale ensues". Read all about it in next weeks Guardian
"Village house prices spiral after Cornbeefur exclusion zone realised. Marylebone property fire sale ensues". Read all about it in next weeks Guardian Alan_1976
  • Score: 0

7:50pm Sat 10 Nov 12

Mohammed f Christ says...

I agree with the Police views on this; there is frequent gang violence on this part of Palmerston Road already, best not to encourage more by providing a warm place for them to congregate...
The restaurant will not not be the ones needing to attend disturbances- the Police will have to do that.
N.B. I have not seen ANY consultation documents on this- were any actually distributed?!
I agree with the Police views on this; there is frequent gang violence on this part of Palmerston Road already, best not to encourage more by providing a warm place for them to congregate... The restaurant will not not be the ones needing to attend disturbances- the Police will have to do that. N.B. I have not seen ANY consultation documents on this- were any actually distributed?! Mohammed f Christ
  • Score: 0

7:55pm Sat 10 Nov 12

Cornbeefur says...

Alan_1976 wrote:
"Village house prices spiral after Cornbeefur exclusion zone realised. Marylebone property fire sale ensues". Read all about it in next weeks Guardian
So puerile
[quote][p][bold]Alan_1976[/bold] wrote: "Village house prices spiral after Cornbeefur exclusion zone realised. Marylebone property fire sale ensues". Read all about it in next weeks Guardian[/p][/quote]So puerile Cornbeefur
  • Score: 0

8:45am Sun 11 Nov 12

E17_er says...

Cornbeefur wrote:
Alan_1976 wrote:
"Village house prices spiral after Cornbeefur exclusion zone realised. Marylebone property fire sale ensues". Read all about it in next weeks Guardian
So puerile
You misspelt accurate there.
[quote][p][bold]Cornbeefur[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Alan_1976[/bold] wrote: "Village house prices spiral after Cornbeefur exclusion zone realised. Marylebone property fire sale ensues". Read all about it in next weeks Guardian[/p][/quote]So puerile[/p][/quote]You misspelt accurate there. E17_er
  • Score: 0

8:38pm Wed 14 Nov 12

KWyatt-Lown says...

As anyone who may have read the exchanges after the article ; http://www.guardian-
series.co.uk/your_lo
cal_areas/10022892.N
ew_Tesco__making_ind
ependent_traders_los
e_out_/ will be aware, I have been seeking a simple response from Cornbeefur to two very straightforward questions. Why he elects to hide behind his self-confessed “user name” and what, indeed, his real name is.

Having been challenged by him on these same issues I was happy to provide an open and honest response. He has now spent the last seven days evading the questions himself, occasionally providing somewhat insulting and, indeed, frankly juvenile postings (I think we all might agree that “my dad’s bigger than your dad” hardly raises the bar on reasoned debate) that do little to enhance any reputation he might possibly seek to establish or maintain as a worthwhile contributor to grown-up and rational discussion within these pages.

So, Cornbeefur, I ask you once again: please have the good grace to return my courtesy and answer my unambiguous questions. Thank you.
As anyone who may have read the exchanges after the article ; http://www.guardian- series.co.uk/your_lo cal_areas/10022892.N ew_Tesco__making_ind ependent_traders_los e_out_/ will be aware, I have been seeking a simple response from Cornbeefur to two very straightforward questions. Why he elects to hide behind his self-confessed “user name” and what, indeed, his real name is. Having been challenged by him on these same issues I was happy to provide an open and honest response. He has now spent the last seven days evading the questions himself, occasionally providing somewhat insulting and, indeed, frankly juvenile postings (I think we all might agree that “my dad’s bigger than your dad” hardly raises the bar on reasoned debate) that do little to enhance any reputation he might possibly seek to establish or maintain as a worthwhile contributor to grown-up and rational discussion within these pages. So, Cornbeefur, I ask you once again: please have the good grace to return my courtesy and answer my unambiguous questions. Thank you. KWyatt-Lown
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree