Cigarette believed to have started fire at Woodford Bridge home

Fire destroyed the first floor and damaged the ground floor of the property

Fire destroyed the first floor and damaged the ground floor of the property

First published in News by

A FIRE believed to be have been caused by a cigarette ripped through a terraced house.

No-one was injured in the blaze, which destroyed the first floor and damaged the ground floor of the property in Cairns Avenue, Woodford Bridge, on Sunday.

Around 20 firefighters were called at 5.55pm.

A woman had escaped from the house before they arrived.

The fire was under control by 7.20pm.

A spokesman from the London Fire Brigade said: "In London, smoking-related fires are the second most common cause of fire in the home.

"Always use a proper ashtray that won’t burn or tip over easily, and don’t take risks by leaving your lit cigarettes (or such like) unattended.

"Always fill your ashtray with water before you go to bed, as even the smallest ember can cause a fire."

 

Comments

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree