THE father of a boy who died after being knocked down by a car has criticised a decision to quickly remove floral tributes laid at the spot where he was killed on the tenth anniversary of the tragedy.
William Walford-Grant, 13, was knocked down and killed by a car in Woodford Road, South Woodford, as he made his way to his paper round in November 2002.
His parents Annie and Michael earlier this year lost the battle with City of London Corporation to retain a permanent memorial at the spot, where they would light a candle every night in his memory.
And now tributes left by William's family and friends to mark ten years since the tragic death have been removed after just two weeks.
A note was left by the Corporation on Friday said the flowers could be picked up from the Temple in Wanstead Park.
Mr Walford-Grant, of Cheyne Avenue, South Woodford said: "City of London Corporation don't allow permanent tributes, we have challenged that view on a number of occasions.
"We found the tributes a great comfort. His school friends also found them a great comfort, they were only 13 or 14 when the accident happened and it was a terrible thing to deal with at that age.
"They were also a useful reminder to drivers going along that road that if they don't drive carefully these are the tragic results which will occur.
"The lamp-post has been empty since the summer, but of course with the anniversary we thought it was perfectly reasonable that we put something down.
"It just seems a little insensitive to remove them so soon."
City of London Corporation planted a tree on the green near to the site of the accident, but it has no plaque marking its connection to William.
Mr Walford-Grant added: "It is a memorial, but we still feel there was comfort in lighting a light each evening for him.
"You never get over losing someone, it changes your life forever."
William's death led to speed cameras being installed in Woodford Road.
City of London Corporation works to a policy of allowing a 90-day period of grace after flowers have been laid, which was introduced in 2010.
Superintendent of Epping Forest Paul Thomson said: "The City of London extends every sympathy to those who have lost their loved ones on roads within the Forest.
"We do try to respect the wishes of the bereaved through temporary memorial arrangements, while seeking to balance the needs of forest users, local residents and public safety. The City's policy is in line with those adopted by a number of Local Authorities across the UK."