Fears over housing development raised again with new application (From East London and West Essex Guardian Series)
Send photos, video and news by texting GUARDIAN SERIES to 80360 (cost 10p), or upload here
Fears over housing development in Roding Lane North, Woodford Bridge, raised again with new application
Homeowners fear plans for a controversial large housing development could be given the go-ahead despite their objections to the green belt land being built upon.
Housing company Bellway Homes has applied to Redbridge Council to build 32 properties on the land in Roding Lane North, Woodford Bridge – four more than what permission was granted for in February last year when Development Securities applied.
Richard White, 62, has lived in Roding Lane North his entire life and feels residents have not been properly consulted on the planning application.
He said: “We do believe the development doesn’t follow the local development framework.
"It is green belt land and should stay as green belt land.
“The last application was a sham. Development Securities never intended to build on it.
“The council say they have made a site visit and spoke to local residents, but I couldn’t find a single person along Roding Lane North who had been consulted.
“What more do we have to do? We presented the council last time with evidence on why the homes shouldn’t be built and we weren’t listened to.”
Resident Peter Hodges, 80, has lived in Roding Lane North for 52 years.
He said: “They have already destroyed the site, they have started pulling all the older buildings down. It’s just a big rubbish heap.
“Other than the extra traffic that is going to increase along the road, I can’t see how they are going to get services and drainage in successfully.
“They haven’t considered the fishing lakes opposite. The fishing lakes get their water from that side of the road and any additional housing there would break up the water table.
“It should be turned into a public garden for everyone.”
The land was the site of a 19th century farm and some of the original buildings are still there
At the moment the land has a number of storage units on it and is used as a site to sell cars.
Bellway Homes said in their planning application: “Previous residential planning applications for the site were refused, dismissed or withdrawn due to the impact the development might have on the openness of the green belt.
“It was concluded that the removal of visually intrusive buildings and uses was a significant benefit and that although new housing was to be provided, the layout would include a significant open area.”
A decision on the planning application will be made on Wednesday at a meeting of the council’s regulatory committee.
Officers have recommended the application be approved.
Comments are closed on this article.