Send photos, video and news by texting GUARDIAN SERIES to 80360 (cost 10p), or email us
Waltham Forest Council has clarified its policy on the removal of Remembrance Day wreaths
Remembrance Day wreaths will now be left all year round, after some laid in November were removed early due to confusion over council policy.
The announcement comes after 25 wreaths were removed in May from a memorial in Kings Head Hill, Chingford, prompting complaints.
Rob Cantwell, of the Chingford branch of the Royal British Legion, said he believed the wreaths had been removed in error and welcomed the clarification.
“It’s a welcome return to normal,” he said.
“Leaving the wreaths there had been an unwritten agreement for years. Whenever we’ve been up there on Remembrance Sunday the wreaths had been gone and last year was the only time they removed them early.”
A First World War veteran’s grandson, who has placed a wreath at the Chingford memorial for the last five years, also welcomed the clarification.
Martin Heath, 59, who lives in Waltham Cross, Hertfordshire, said: “That’s how it always used to be until a councillor supposedly complained about their appearance.”
“They said the wreaths marked the stonework, which is debatable, and, they’re artificial so they look fresh.”
Deputy council leader Clyde Loakes said: “Honouring those who have lost their lives as a result of war is important and laying wreaths at memorials on Remembrance Day is a key date in the calendar that is rightly respected,” he said.