Send photos, video and news by texting GUARDIAN SERIES to 80360 (cost 10p), or email us
The practice manager at Abridge Surgery claims that they have only closed twice this year
A surgery under investigation by the NHS over unexpected closures has apologised to patients.
The Abridge Surgery was heavily criticised last week when it shut its doors on Thursday afternoon.
Residents of the village complained to the NHS as they were unable to collect prescriptions or get through to the surgery on the phone.
It was also claimed that this is not the first time that the surgery, run by doctors Douglas Colvin and Ben Isinkaye, has closed in this way.
Practice manager Michael Hall said the surgery was only shut twice after “an exceptional combination of circumstances”.
He said: “We are very sorry that we were unable to offer our usual surgery on Thursday, October 17.
“We did endeavour to find appropriate locum cover, but were unable to do so and as a last resort asked our local out of hours provider to cover the afternoon.
“This is a service provided in co-operation with local doctors and is also employed by West Essex CCG to cover regional educational sessions which is the explanation for our only other Thursday afternoon closure earlier in the year.”
Mr Hall also states that patients were informed ahead of the closures.
He added: “We ensured that notification of this was posted at the surgery in advance and the contract details for PELC were shown on the front door, at reception and on our answer machine.
“We are therefore confident that safe medical cover was provided, but would once again like to apologise for any inconvenience caused to our patients.”
Comments are closed on this article.