Woodford Green man told police of Milly Dowler voicemail, court hears (From East London and West Essex Guardian Series)
Send photos, video and news by texting GUARDIAN SERIES to 80360 (cost 10p), or email us
Woodford Green man told police of Milly Dowler voicemail, court hears
The ex-managing editor of the News of the World told police of a voicemail recording during the investigation of the disappearance of schoolgirl Milly Dowler, the Old Bailey has heard.
Stuart Kuttner, 73, of Woodford Green, allegedly informed Surrey police in 2002 of a taped recording of a voicemail after the disappearance of the 13-year-old.
The court heard on Friday that Mr Kuttner believed the recording could help police with their investigation.
Prosecutor Andrew Edis QC told the court it was good of Mr Kuttner to inform the police, but questioned why he had only done so after several days of knowing.
Mr Edis said the police “could and should have investigated” the evidence but could have been concentrating on trying to find Miss Dowler.
It is alleged the News of the World hired private investigator Glenn Mulcaire to hack the 13-year-old’s mobile phone voicemail, which is how it is thought Mr Kuttner knew of the recording.
Today the court heard how a security team at News International arranged to take items from the home of former News of the World editor Rebekah Brooks and husband Charlie Brooks in order to hide them from police.
One member of the team allegedly posed as a pizza delivery man in order to carry out the operation to remove materials from Brooks' home.
Last week the Old Bailey heard that Brooks had an affair spanning over six years with former News of the World editor Andy Coulson.
Mr Edis decided to expose the affair to demonstrate how much Mrs Brooks and Mr Coulson trusted each other.
The trial, which is investigating the alleged hacking of Milly Dowler’s phone by News of the World journalists, as well as phones of multiple public figures, began on Wednesday, with Mr Kuttner, Mrs Brooks and Mr Coulson standing as three of the eight defendants.
Mr Kuttner has so far not attended any of the trial in person due to ill health.
All deny conspiring to hack phones between October 3, 2000 and August 9, 2006.