Plans for an eco-friendly home in Theydon Bois described as a 'hobbit house' have been blocked by the Planning Inspectorate

'Hobbit house' plans rejected

'Hobbit house' plans rejected

First published in News
Last updated
East London and West Essex Guardian Series: Photograph of the Author by , Reporter

A plan to build a so-called ‘hobbit house’ has been blocked. 

Ongar estate agent John Sear hoped to transform the site of former pigsties in Coppice Farm, Theydon Bois, into a five-bedroom, eco-friendly home and appealed against a decision by Epping Firest District Council to reject his proposal.

But Planning Inspector Graham Dudley dismissed the appeal, despite praising the design.

He said: “The appellant has produced a good quality design, utilising technology to minimise carbon impact.”

But said that it did not: “amount to the very special circumstances necessary to clearly outweigh the harm caused by inappropriateness in the Green Belt”.

The Council's District Development Control Committee refused permission for the development in January 2013.

Dr John Warren, chairman of the Theydon Bois Action Group welcomed the Planning Inspectorate's decision.

He said: “This is an important landmark decision by the Planning Inspectorate, which sets a clear precedent against any development of this type being carried out in the Green Belt.

“Theydon Bois Action Group is reassured that the important Green Belt Policies in our Local Plan continue to be upheld by the Government's Planning Inspectorate.”

Mr Sear, of Ambleside in Epping, previously described it as a ‘hobbit house’ as it would have been ‘low-lying’ from the road.
  
As well as a grass roof, plans for the house included a ground-source heating system, which used pipes buried in a home’s garden to carry heat from the earth to radiators.
 

Comments (7)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

9:30am Mon 20 Jan 14

jackblack007 says...

THEYDON BOIS ACTION GROUP......HOW FUNNY.........
THEYDON BOIS ACTION GROUP......HOW FUNNY......... jackblack007
  • Score: 10

10:16am Mon 20 Jan 14

Villagecranberry says...

This would set a president, must be rejected.
This would set a president, must be rejected. Villagecranberry
  • Score: -6

11:38am Mon 20 Jan 14

jackblack007 says...

Villagecranberry wrote:
This would set a president, must be rejected.
a bit like your grasp of the english language
[quote][p][bold]Villagecranberry[/bold] wrote: This would set a president, must be rejected.[/p][/quote]a bit like your grasp of the english language jackblack007
  • Score: 5

12:16pm Mon 20 Jan 14

Jay Bee says...

Villagecranberry wrote:
This would set a president, must be rejected.
I disagree; EFDC has already granted permission for building on Green Belt land in the Epping Forest District, so a precedent has already been set.

What is intriguing is that Theydon Bois always seems to avoid taking its ‘fair share’ of development in the District. And no one seems to be asking why!
[quote][p][bold]Villagecranberry[/bold] wrote: This would set a president, must be rejected.[/p][/quote]I disagree; EFDC has already granted permission for building on Green Belt land in the Epping Forest District, so a precedent has already been set. What is intriguing is that Theydon Bois always seems to avoid taking its ‘fair share’ of development in the District. And no one seems to be asking why! Jay Bee
  • Score: 10

4:09pm Mon 20 Jan 14

Villagecranberry says...

jackblack007 wrote:
Villagecranberry wrote:
This would set a president, must be rejected.
a bit like your grasp of the english language
Ok sorry but predictive text does things. I of course meant precedent.
With rising property prices and scarcity of land, people are looking at in notice ways of achieving more for less like these schemes and digging down through their basement to create enormous space.
[quote][p][bold]jackblack007[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Villagecranberry[/bold] wrote: This would set a president, must be rejected.[/p][/quote]a bit like your grasp of the english language[/p][/quote]Ok sorry but predictive text does things. I of course meant precedent. With rising property prices and scarcity of land, people are looking at in notice ways of achieving more for less like these schemes and digging down through their basement to create enormous space. Villagecranberry
  • Score: -2

5:30pm Mon 20 Jan 14

jackblack007 says...

Villagecranberry wrote:
jackblack007 wrote:
Villagecranberry wrote:
This would set a president, must be rejected.
a bit like your grasp of the english language
Ok sorry but predictive text does things. I of course meant precedent.
With rising property prices and scarcity of land, people are looking at in notice ways of achieving more for less like these schemes and digging down through their basement to create enormous space.
still none the wiser , as to what you meant - sorry
[quote][p][bold]Villagecranberry[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]jackblack007[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Villagecranberry[/bold] wrote: This would set a president, must be rejected.[/p][/quote]a bit like your grasp of the english language[/p][/quote]Ok sorry but predictive text does things. I of course meant precedent. With rising property prices and scarcity of land, people are looking at in notice ways of achieving more for less like these schemes and digging down through their basement to create enormous space.[/p][/quote]still none the wiser , as to what you meant - sorry jackblack007
  • Score: 5

6:27pm Mon 20 Jan 14

EppingRes1dent says...

Hopefully, the Planning Inspectorate will also dismiss the appeal against the planning decision for the land on the junction of Woodside and Ongar Road. Another example of inappropriateness in the green belt.
Hopefully, the Planning Inspectorate will also dismiss the appeal against the planning decision for the land on the junction of Woodside and Ongar Road. Another example of inappropriateness in the green belt. EppingRes1dent
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree