A 10 year-old girl left brain damaged after she was accidentally injected with glue is to receive a multi-million pound payout.

Maisha Najeeb, now 13, of Ilford, was undergoing surgery at Great Ormand Street in June 2010 when a mix of syringes led to the injection of glue into her brain.

The healthy 10 year old girl has a rare medical condition called Arterio-Venous Malformation (AVM) which causes arteries and veins to get entangled and affects one per cent of people in the UK.

Despite having five bleeds before the age of 10, Maisha was able to lead a very normal life up until the botched embolisation prodecure on June 2 2010.

The procedure involves an injection of glue to block the bleeding of blood vessels and an injection of dye to check the blood flow around her brain.

Medics at the children's hospital had no system in place to distinguish the two syringes which led to an artery in Maisha's brain being injected with glue instead of the dye.

As a result, the young girl suffered catastrophic and permanent brain damage and lost her eyesight in one eye.

On March 1 2012, Great Ormand Street Hospital admitted negligence.  

The agreed settlement for an upfront lump sum of £2.8 million was given by Judge William Birtles at the High Court yesterday.

Maisha will also receive £383,000.00 a year until she is aged 19 and after this age, it will increase to £423,000.00 per year for as long as she lives.

Maisha's father Sadir Hussian said the family were "devastated" about what had happened.

"We are sad and devastated by what happened to our daughter. Her life is ruined.

"All her dreams have been broken. I hope that by bringing this case, lessons will have been learned to avoid this happening to other families.

"We are grateful that agreement has been reached with Great Ormond Street to ensure that Maisha's care needs are met," said Mr Hussian

Solicitor Edwina Rawson of legal firm Field Fisher Waterhouse said the devastating brain injury was unavoidable.

She said: "What is so heart-breaking about this case is that the injury was so avoidable.

"If the syringes had been marked-up so the hospital could see which contained glue and which contained dye, then Maisha would not have suffered what is an utterly devastating brain injury.

"Such easily avoidable mistakes should not happen."

The High Court heard how Maisha needs around the clock care and assistance, is in a wheelchair and has lost the vast majority of her bodily and cognitive abilities.