More than half the adult population in Waltham Forest is overweight or obese

East London and West Essex Guardian Series: Waltham Forest Council has defended its attempts to tackle obesity Waltham Forest Council has defended its attempts to tackle obesity

Waltham Forest Council has defended its record on tackling obesity after it emerged more than half of people living in the borough are overweight or obese.

Figures released by Public Health England (PHE) last week revealed that 54.6 per cent of adults have a body mass index (BMI) of 25 or over.

The authority says it has a wide range of initiatives aimed at encouraging residents to eat healthily, be physically active and maintain a healthy weight.

“While the figures show our residents are below both the national and London averages, we are not complacent about obesity and see it as a key public health issue,” Councillor Ahsan Khan, cabinet member for health and wellbeing, said.

The national average for overweight and obese adults is 64 per cent of the population, while London’s average is 57 per cent.

Director of health and wellbeing at PHE, Professor Kevin Fenton, said local authorities are “ideally placed” to tackle weight issues.

The council has invested heavily in a parks improvement programme which includes several new outdoor gyms, as well as improving leisure facilities and offering free swimming for under-18s and over-60s, according to Cllr Khan.

He added that the authority’s hot food takeaway policy has achieved “considerable success” in refusing planning permission to new takeaways near schools.

More than 80 per cent of such applications have been rejected in the last four years.

“Ultimately we recognise our role in confronting this problem and the need to combat it in a variety of ways,” Cllr Khan said.

Comments (9)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

12:50pm Mon 10 Feb 14

wanttogetfitter says...

All very well to give free swimming to some people - but not everyone can swim, or swim efficiently. For example, it's bad for the neck if you don't hold your head properly when swimming. So you either need to pay for classes, get worse arthritis or don't go. Swimming is not known to get rid of loads of calories, either, if you are an unsporty and elderly person. A slow crawl up a lane doesn't do very much good, if you can get that far.

What about cheaper membership of the gyms (cheaper than they are - pensioner-affordable prices for the elderly with fewer restrictions on when they can be used (and have the charity gyms cut out the semi **** videos and loud music? Not appreciated by everyone and a reason not to go).

The borough needs to do more if it is really interested in helping heavyweights of all ages to get fitter.
All very well to give free swimming to some people - but not everyone can swim, or swim efficiently. For example, it's bad for the neck if you don't hold your head properly when swimming. So you either need to pay for classes, get worse arthritis or don't go. Swimming is not known to get rid of loads of calories, either, if you are an unsporty and elderly person. A slow crawl up a lane doesn't do very much good, if you can get that far. What about cheaper membership of the gyms (cheaper than they are - pensioner-affordable prices for the elderly with fewer restrictions on when they can be used (and have the charity gyms cut out the semi **** videos and loud music? Not appreciated by everyone and a reason not to go). The borough needs to do more if it is really interested in helping heavyweights of all ages to get fitter. wanttogetfitter

12:56pm Mon 10 Feb 14

wanttogetfitter says...

wanttogetfitter wrote:
All very well to give free swimming to some people - but not everyone can swim, or swim efficiently. For example, it's bad for the neck if you don't hold your head properly when swimming. So you either need to pay for classes, get worse arthritis or don't go. Swimming is not known to get rid of loads of calories, either, if you are an unsporty and elderly person. A slow crawl up a lane doesn't do very much good, if you can get that far.

What about cheaper membership of the gyms (cheaper than they are - pensioner-affordable prices for the elderly with fewer restrictions on when they can be used (and have the charity gyms cut out the semi **** videos and loud music? Not appreciated by everyone and a reason not to go).

The borough needs to do more if it is really interested in helping heavyweights of all ages to get fitter.
The word removed was 'pornographic' . Videos that I saw when I used to go to the gym showed dominant male singers with females clearly there to titillate with poses and in extreme states of undress. Sort of things you might have at home but I don't believe that charity gyms are the right place. My ears would hurt with the high volume too.
[quote][p][bold]wanttogetfitter[/bold] wrote: All very well to give free swimming to some people - but not everyone can swim, or swim efficiently. For example, it's bad for the neck if you don't hold your head properly when swimming. So you either need to pay for classes, get worse arthritis or don't go. Swimming is not known to get rid of loads of calories, either, if you are an unsporty and elderly person. A slow crawl up a lane doesn't do very much good, if you can get that far. What about cheaper membership of the gyms (cheaper than they are - pensioner-affordable prices for the elderly with fewer restrictions on when they can be used (and have the charity gyms cut out the semi **** videos and loud music? Not appreciated by everyone and a reason not to go). The borough needs to do more if it is really interested in helping heavyweights of all ages to get fitter.[/p][/quote]The word removed was 'pornographic' . Videos that I saw when I used to go to the gym showed dominant male singers with females clearly there to titillate with poses and in extreme states of undress. Sort of things you might have at home but I don't believe that charity gyms are the right place. My ears would hurt with the high volume too. wanttogetfitter

1:23pm Mon 10 Feb 14

mdj says...

' after it emerged more than half of people living in the borough are overweight or obese. '
Well, noone's been round to weigh and measure me: how on earth do they know? Camouflaged scales in the pavement? A survey of the Council chamber might of course come up with this statistic.

If the figures are based on people attending subsidised gyms or places of healthcare, might they not possibly be there because they are.... well, you know, er ,less fit and well than the general population?

'Ultimately we recognise our role in confronting this problem and the need to combat it in a variety of ways,” Cllr Khan said.

This is a risky way of talking: if you claim credit for change, you can take blame as well. Our Council isn't very good at that.
' after it emerged more than half of people living in the borough are overweight or obese. ' Well, noone's been round to weigh and measure me: how on earth do they know? Camouflaged scales in the pavement? A survey of the Council chamber might of course come up with this statistic. If the figures are based on people attending subsidised gyms or places of healthcare, might they not possibly be there because they are.... well, you know, er ,less fit and well than the general population? 'Ultimately we recognise our role in confronting this problem and the need to combat it in a variety of ways,” Cllr Khan said. This is a risky way of talking: if you claim credit for change, you can take blame as well. Our Council isn't very good at that. mdj

3:28pm Mon 10 Feb 14

Villagecranberry says...

wanttogetfitter wrote:
All very well to give free swimming to some people - but not everyone can swim, or swim efficiently. For example, it's bad for the neck if you don't hold your head properly when swimming. So you either need to pay for classes, get worse arthritis or don't go. Swimming is not known to get rid of loads of calories, either, if you are an unsporty and elderly person. A slow crawl up a lane doesn't do very much good, if you can get that far.

What about cheaper membership of the gyms (cheaper than they are - pensioner-affordable prices for the elderly with fewer restrictions on when they can be used (and have the charity gyms cut out the semi **** videos and loud music? Not appreciated by everyone and a reason not to go).

The borough needs to do more if it is really interested in helping heavyweights of all ages to get fitter.
How about OAP Zambas? That is good fund and like dancing and just twist the bis to suit your needs?
[quote][p][bold]wanttogetfitter[/bold] wrote: All very well to give free swimming to some people - but not everyone can swim, or swim efficiently. For example, it's bad for the neck if you don't hold your head properly when swimming. So you either need to pay for classes, get worse arthritis or don't go. Swimming is not known to get rid of loads of calories, either, if you are an unsporty and elderly person. A slow crawl up a lane doesn't do very much good, if you can get that far. What about cheaper membership of the gyms (cheaper than they are - pensioner-affordable prices for the elderly with fewer restrictions on when they can be used (and have the charity gyms cut out the semi **** videos and loud music? Not appreciated by everyone and a reason not to go). The borough needs to do more if it is really interested in helping heavyweights of all ages to get fitter.[/p][/quote]How about OAP Zambas? That is good fund and like dancing and just twist the bis to suit your needs? Villagecranberry

3:54pm Mon 10 Feb 14

Garrow says...

So "The national average for overweight and obese adults is 64 per cent of the population, while London’s average is 57 per cent." and apparently in Waltham Forest it is "just over half" so what's the story here? People could always exercise by trying to lift Clyde Loakes's wallet.
So "The national average for overweight and obese adults is 64 per cent of the population, while London’s average is 57 per cent." and apparently in Waltham Forest it is "just over half" so what's the story here? People could always exercise by trying to lift Clyde Loakes's wallet. Garrow

4:52pm Mon 10 Feb 14

cynicalsue says...

Stick a picture of the current Mayor on your fridge door.
Stick a picture of the current Mayor on your fridge door. cynicalsue

5:45pm Mon 10 Feb 14

myopinioncounts says...

People expect to spend years overeating and then want the NHS to 'bail them out'.
People expect to spend years overeating and then want the NHS to 'bail them out'. myopinioncounts

8:09am Tue 11 Feb 14

jackblack007 says...

not surprising is it ? theres a fried chicken shop evert 50 yards
not surprising is it ? theres a fried chicken shop evert 50 yards jackblack007

12:10pm Tue 11 Feb 14

fjl says...

wanttogetfitter wrote:
All very well to give free swimming to some people - but not everyone can swim, or swim efficiently. For example, it's bad for the neck if you don't hold your head properly when swimming. So you either need to pay for classes, get worse arthritis or don't go. Swimming is not known to get rid of loads of calories, either, if you are an unsporty and elderly person. A slow crawl up a lane doesn't do very much good, if you can get that far.

What about cheaper membership of the gyms (cheaper than they are - pensioner-affordable prices for the elderly with fewer restrictions on when they can be used (and have the charity gyms cut out the semi **** videos and loud music? Not appreciated by everyone and a reason not to go).

The borough needs to do more if it is really interested in helping heavyweights of all ages to get fitter.
It’s always somebody else’s fault. If your overweight it’s because you are eating too much of the wrong things and not exercising enough. It costs nothing to eat less and go for a nice long walk.
[quote][p][bold]wanttogetfitter[/bold] wrote: All very well to give free swimming to some people - but not everyone can swim, or swim efficiently. For example, it's bad for the neck if you don't hold your head properly when swimming. So you either need to pay for classes, get worse arthritis or don't go. Swimming is not known to get rid of loads of calories, either, if you are an unsporty and elderly person. A slow crawl up a lane doesn't do very much good, if you can get that far. What about cheaper membership of the gyms (cheaper than they are - pensioner-affordable prices for the elderly with fewer restrictions on when they can be used (and have the charity gyms cut out the semi **** videos and loud music? Not appreciated by everyone and a reason not to go). The borough needs to do more if it is really interested in helping heavyweights of all ages to get fitter.[/p][/quote]It’s always somebody else’s fault. If your overweight it’s because you are eating too much of the wrong things and not exercising enough. It costs nothing to eat less and go for a nice long walk. fjl

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree