A nurse has been allowed to continue working with vulnerable people despite refusing to call an ambulance to a care home to treat a dementia sufferer with a broken neck.

Faustina Osei Asibey was at the centre of a misconduct hearing this week over the incident at Queens Court Nursing Home in Lower Queen's Road, Buckhurst Hill.

Although it was proved that she initially refused to alert paramedics of the problem and told the woman's family not to "dare" calling one, the nursing and Midwifery Council found it would be "disproportionate" to suspend her from the register.

Asibey was working at the home when the condition of an 88-year-old woman deteriorated on September 16 2011.

When two of the patient's daughters arrived, they were warned by Asibey not to phone an ambulance for their frail mother because of the cost to the home.

Of the ten charges Asibey faced, she was cleared of two, including failing to ensure that the woman had medication and refusing to let the ambulance service through the front door.

Three NMC panel members found that the nurse was "reluctant" to answer questions over the incident.

The panel concluded: "The panel found your evidence to be confusing, at times incoherent, inconsistent in some areas and often not succinct.

"The panel found inconsistencies between your evidence to the investigation meeting with your employers on September 23 2011 and your live evidence.

"For example, you told the investigation meeting that the ambulance crew ignored you, but in your live evidence claimed that you briefed them. You also contradicted yourself in live evidence."

The panel said it took into account the remorse shown by Asibey and the fact that it was a first time offence.

A conditions of practice order and an interim conditions of practice order were handed to Asibey fro 12 months on March 7.

This means that she must keep in contact with the NMC regarding work undertaken and let any employers know of the case within the next year.

The ruling does not include details of what happened to the injured woman.
Queens Court Nursing Home has been asked to comment.