Send photos, video and news by texting GUARDIAN SERIES to 80360 (cost 10p), or upload here
Over 200 staff and pupils evacuated during first lesson at Highams Park School
Hundreds of pupils and staff were evacuated from a secondary school after a fire broke out.
Two fire engines were called to Highams Park School in Handsworth Avenue just before 10am yesterday.
Over 200 members of staff and school pupils were evacuated to the playground after the alarm sounded.
Staff extinguished the small blaze in the two-storey design and technology block.
The school has confirmed the fire started after sawdust from an industrial powered saw caught alight and smouldered in the dust extraction system, causing a large amount of smoke but few flames.
The fire was under control by 11am and classes returned to normal, although the D&T block remained closed for the rest of the day.
No-one was injured during the incident.
Comments are closed on this article.