A man rescued from a house blaze is in a 'life threatening' condition in hospital.

Police confirmed the 53-year-old man was being treated for smoke inhalation and extensive burns, and the early evidence suggests the fire was started by an electrical fault.

A total of 21 firefighters tackled the blaze on the ground floor of a semi-detached house in Princes Road, Barkingside, this morning.

The victim was flown to the Royal London Hospital by air ambulance and is due to move to a specialist burns unit.

London Fire Brigade were called to the scene at 8.39am and the fire was put out by 9.48am.