A man has suffered “serious” facial injuries after he and one other suffered acid burns.

Yesterday, a paramedic, two ambulances and the Herts Air Ambulance were called to Loughton Golf Club in Clays Lane to reports of an explosion.

Two casualties were taken to Whipps Cross Hospital with burns from caustic acid.

A spokesman for the golf club said: “A cesspit was being cleaned and there was some sort of a blow back.

“They had caustic acid sprinkled on their faces and hands. It was a totally unexpected experience.

“We have had people phoning up and asking about an explosion but the restaurant and club is still fully open.

“Everything is normal.”