Expenses abuse headteacher on gardening leave pending decision on future (From East London and West Essex Guardian Series)
Send photos, video and news by texting GUARDIAN SERIES to 80360 (cost 10p), or upload here
Headteacher of King Solomon High School Jo Shuter is not working at the school following disciplinary hearing over expenses
Headteacher Jo Shuter will not be working at King Solomon High School until a decision is made over her future following a disciplinary hearing over expenses abuses.
Chairman of governors at the Jewish free school in Barkingside, Stephanie Sollosi, contacted parents to say the board was aware of parents’ concerns after Ms Shuter admitted misconduct in a previous job.
He said: “The Governing Body of King Solomon High School has become aware of parents’ concerns about the continued smooth running of the school, in the light of recent media reports of the misconduct hearing by the National College for Teaching and Leadership.
“This hearing was related to issues that arose prior to Jo Shuter’s appointment as Head Teacher at King Solomon.
“Until these issues are resolved, Jo Shuter will not be in school.
"Please be assured that in her absence, the Senior Leadership Team and Governing Body, supported by Redbridge Council, are working extremely hard to ensure that the situation does not impact on pupils’ learning at this important time of year.
"In short, we are determined to ensure that it is business as usual for our pupils. What is most important to us is that our staff and pupils remain focused on high standards of teaching and learning, especially during the lead up to the critical examination period.
"We would ask you to support your children in focusing on those pressing issues and not be distracted."
Parents were told more information is expected by May 14.
Some parents yesterday started a petition supporting Ms Shuter and calling for her to stay in the job, despite her admission that she wrongly claimed expenses while working at , including £7,000 for her own birthday party.
She took over at the free school in September 2013, but faces being banned from teaching unsupervised for life following a hearing held by National College for Teaching and Leadership, where she admitted misconduct while running Quinton Kynaston Community Academy in St John’s Wood.
She had previously been crowned headteacher of the year and awarded a CBE for her work.
Comments are closed on this article.