Transport for London will stop accepting cash fares on buses on July 6

East London and West Essex Guardian Series: Cash payments to be scrapped Cash payments to be scrapped

Cash payments on London buses are to be scrapped from July, it has been announced.

Announcing the deadline of July 6, Transport for London (TfL) said a ‘one more journey' feature will be added to the Oyster card.

Cash payments on London buses are said to have fallen in the last 14 years from 25 percent to just one percent.

Tfl said a third of 37,000 people who took part in a consultation last year agreed with the proposal.

Buses began to accept payment via contactless debit cards in December.

Comments (11)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

8:53am Mon 12 May 14

stewyripper says...

What about foreign visitors who do not know about "oyster"?
What about foreign visitors who do not know about "oyster"? stewyripper
  • Score: -2

9:21am Mon 12 May 14

Villagecranberry says...

stewyripper wrote:
What about foreign visitors who do not know about "oyster"?
When I go abroad I research how payments are made on public transport. It is easy to do. Why should we make special arrangements?
[quote][p][bold]stewyripper[/bold] wrote: What about foreign visitors who do not know about "oyster"?[/p][/quote]When I go abroad I research how payments are made on public transport. It is easy to do. Why should we make special arrangements? Villagecranberry
  • Score: 8

10:11am Mon 12 May 14

stewyripper says...

Villagecranberry wrote:
stewyripper wrote:
What about foreign visitors who do not know about "oyster"?
When I go abroad I research how payments are made on public transport. It is easy to do. Why should we make special arrangements?
Fair comment but if you lose your wallet, bag, or whatever, that's all the folding gone, no cards, It's Sunday no bank person to talk to, Only got a bit of small change left just enough for a bus ride?
[quote][p][bold]Villagecranberry[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]stewyripper[/bold] wrote: What about foreign visitors who do not know about "oyster"?[/p][/quote]When I go abroad I research how payments are made on public transport. It is easy to do. Why should we make special arrangements?[/p][/quote]Fair comment but if you lose your wallet, bag, or whatever, that's all the folding gone, no cards, It's Sunday no bank person to talk to, Only got a bit of small change left just enough for a bus ride? stewyripper
  • Score: 0

10:20am Mon 12 May 14

Villagecranberry says...

stewyripper wrote:
Villagecranberry wrote:
stewyripper wrote:
What about foreign visitors who do not know about "oyster"?
When I go abroad I research how payments are made on public transport. It is easy to do. Why should we make special arrangements?
Fair comment but if you lose your wallet, bag, or whatever, that's all the folding gone, no cards, It's Sunday no bank person to talk to, Only got a bit of small change left just enough for a bus ride?
If you lose your wallet and folding as you say, you would probably lose your Oyster also if you had one. There already exists a contingency whereby you should be allowed a journey in such circumstances with a 'promise to pay' ticket. However I think some drivers are reluctant to offer this.

In Italy, there were ticket machines by the road side where you could obtain a fare. However they would probably be smashed to pieces in this country.

It is so easy to buy an Oyster card in Newsagents and so on these days though.
[quote][p][bold]stewyripper[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Villagecranberry[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]stewyripper[/bold] wrote: What about foreign visitors who do not know about "oyster"?[/p][/quote]When I go abroad I research how payments are made on public transport. It is easy to do. Why should we make special arrangements?[/p][/quote]Fair comment but if you lose your wallet, bag, or whatever, that's all the folding gone, no cards, It's Sunday no bank person to talk to, Only got a bit of small change left just enough for a bus ride?[/p][/quote]If you lose your wallet and folding as you say, you would probably lose your Oyster also if you had one. There already exists a contingency whereby you should be allowed a journey in such circumstances with a 'promise to pay' ticket. However I think some drivers are reluctant to offer this. In Italy, there were ticket machines by the road side where you could obtain a fare. However they would probably be smashed to pieces in this country. It is so easy to buy an Oyster card in Newsagents and so on these days though. Villagecranberry
  • Score: 6

10:46am Mon 12 May 14

MorrisHickey says...

Villagecranberry wrote:
stewyripper wrote:
Villagecranberry wrote:
stewyripper wrote:
What about foreign visitors who do not know about "oyster"?
When I go abroad I research how payments are made on public transport. It is easy to do. Why should we make special arrangements?
Fair comment but if you lose your wallet, bag, or whatever, that's all the folding gone, no cards, It's Sunday no bank person to talk to, Only got a bit of small change left just enough for a bus ride?
If you lose your wallet and folding as you say, you would probably lose your Oyster also if you had one. There already exists a contingency whereby you should be allowed a journey in such circumstances with a 'promise to pay' ticket. However I think some drivers are reluctant to offer this.

In Italy, there were ticket machines by the road side where you could obtain a fare. However they would probably be smashed to pieces in this country.

It is so easy to buy an Oyster card in Newsagents and so on these days though.
You will have no problem with your Freedom Pass.
[quote][p][bold]Villagecranberry[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]stewyripper[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Villagecranberry[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]stewyripper[/bold] wrote: What about foreign visitors who do not know about "oyster"?[/p][/quote]When I go abroad I research how payments are made on public transport. It is easy to do. Why should we make special arrangements?[/p][/quote]Fair comment but if you lose your wallet, bag, or whatever, that's all the folding gone, no cards, It's Sunday no bank person to talk to, Only got a bit of small change left just enough for a bus ride?[/p][/quote]If you lose your wallet and folding as you say, you would probably lose your Oyster also if you had one. There already exists a contingency whereby you should be allowed a journey in such circumstances with a 'promise to pay' ticket. However I think some drivers are reluctant to offer this. In Italy, there were ticket machines by the road side where you could obtain a fare. However they would probably be smashed to pieces in this country. It is so easy to buy an Oyster card in Newsagents and so on these days though.[/p][/quote]You will have no problem with your Freedom Pass. MorrisHickey
  • Score: 3

11:22am Mon 12 May 14

Villagecranberry says...

MorrisHickey wrote:
Villagecranberry wrote:
stewyripper wrote:
Villagecranberry wrote:
stewyripper wrote:
What about foreign visitors who do not know about "oyster"?
When I go abroad I research how payments are made on public transport. It is easy to do. Why should we make special arrangements?
Fair comment but if you lose your wallet, bag, or whatever, that's all the folding gone, no cards, It's Sunday no bank person to talk to, Only got a bit of small change left just enough for a bus ride?
If you lose your wallet and folding as you say, you would probably lose your Oyster also if you had one. There already exists a contingency whereby you should be allowed a journey in such circumstances with a 'promise to pay' ticket. However I think some drivers are reluctant to offer this.

In Italy, there were ticket machines by the road side where you could obtain a fare. However they would probably be smashed to pieces in this country.

It is so easy to buy an Oyster card in Newsagents and so on these days though.
You will have no problem with your Freedom Pass.
I am a cyclist Mozzy, have you taken your stabilisers off yet?
[quote][p][bold]MorrisHickey[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Villagecranberry[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]stewyripper[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Villagecranberry[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]stewyripper[/bold] wrote: What about foreign visitors who do not know about "oyster"?[/p][/quote]When I go abroad I research how payments are made on public transport. It is easy to do. Why should we make special arrangements?[/p][/quote]Fair comment but if you lose your wallet, bag, or whatever, that's all the folding gone, no cards, It's Sunday no bank person to talk to, Only got a bit of small change left just enough for a bus ride?[/p][/quote]If you lose your wallet and folding as you say, you would probably lose your Oyster also if you had one. There already exists a contingency whereby you should be allowed a journey in such circumstances with a 'promise to pay' ticket. However I think some drivers are reluctant to offer this. In Italy, there were ticket machines by the road side where you could obtain a fare. However they would probably be smashed to pieces in this country. It is so easy to buy an Oyster card in Newsagents and so on these days though.[/p][/quote]You will have no problem with your Freedom Pass.[/p][/quote]I am a cyclist Mozzy, have you taken your stabilisers off yet? Villagecranberry
  • Score: 1

11:28am Mon 12 May 14

MorrisHickey says...

Villagecranberry wrote:
MorrisHickey wrote:
Villagecranberry wrote:
stewyripper wrote:
Villagecranberry wrote:
stewyripper wrote:
What about foreign visitors who do not know about "oyster"?
When I go abroad I research how payments are made on public transport. It is easy to do. Why should we make special arrangements?
Fair comment but if you lose your wallet, bag, or whatever, that's all the folding gone, no cards, It's Sunday no bank person to talk to, Only got a bit of small change left just enough for a bus ride?
If you lose your wallet and folding as you say, you would probably lose your Oyster also if you had one. There already exists a contingency whereby you should be allowed a journey in such circumstances with a 'promise to pay' ticket. However I think some drivers are reluctant to offer this.

In Italy, there were ticket machines by the road side where you could obtain a fare. However they would probably be smashed to pieces in this country.

It is so easy to buy an Oyster card in Newsagents and so on these days though.
You will have no problem with your Freedom Pass.
I am a cyclist Mozzy, have you taken your stabilisers off yet?
Never used them Village Idiot.
[quote][p][bold]Villagecranberry[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]MorrisHickey[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Villagecranberry[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]stewyripper[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Villagecranberry[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]stewyripper[/bold] wrote: What about foreign visitors who do not know about "oyster"?[/p][/quote]When I go abroad I research how payments are made on public transport. It is easy to do. Why should we make special arrangements?[/p][/quote]Fair comment but if you lose your wallet, bag, or whatever, that's all the folding gone, no cards, It's Sunday no bank person to talk to, Only got a bit of small change left just enough for a bus ride?[/p][/quote]If you lose your wallet and folding as you say, you would probably lose your Oyster also if you had one. There already exists a contingency whereby you should be allowed a journey in such circumstances with a 'promise to pay' ticket. However I think some drivers are reluctant to offer this. In Italy, there were ticket machines by the road side where you could obtain a fare. However they would probably be smashed to pieces in this country. It is so easy to buy an Oyster card in Newsagents and so on these days though.[/p][/quote]You will have no problem with your Freedom Pass.[/p][/quote]I am a cyclist Mozzy, have you taken your stabilisers off yet?[/p][/quote]Never used them Village Idiot. MorrisHickey
  • Score: -3

1:04pm Mon 12 May 14

NDevoto says...

"Tfl said a third of 37,000 people who took part in a consultation last year agreed with the proposal."


So two thirds disagreed yet they ignored the and still went ahead?
Another pointless public "consultation".
"Tfl said a third of 37,000 people who took part in a consultation last year agreed with the proposal." So two thirds disagreed yet they ignored the and still went ahead? Another pointless public "consultation". NDevoto
  • Score: 9

1:16pm Mon 12 May 14

MorrisHickey says...

NDevoto wrote:
"Tfl said a third of 37,000 people who took part in a consultation last year agreed with the proposal."


So two thirds disagreed yet they ignored the and still went ahead?
Another pointless public "consultation".
Par for the course.
[quote][p][bold]NDevoto[/bold] wrote: "Tfl said a third of 37,000 people who took part in a consultation last year agreed with the proposal." So two thirds disagreed yet they ignored the and still went ahead? Another pointless public "consultation".[/p][/quote]Par for the course. MorrisHickey
  • Score: -3

5:47pm Mon 12 May 14

Sam Hain says...

Having just sat on a bus while the driver had to faff about finding change for a proffered tenner this move can't come a moment too soon.
Having just sat on a bus while the driver had to faff about finding change for a proffered tenner this move can't come a moment too soon. Sam Hain
  • Score: 6

6:20pm Mon 12 May 14

stickmanny says...

It's a great idea. Cash is a waste of money.
It's a great idea. Cash is a waste of money. stickmanny
  • Score: 1

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree