Owner Mark Foster of The Manor House in Wanstead's High Street has been granted a licence to open until 1am at weekends

Mark Foster with Tim Brown, the designated premises supervisor outside The Manor House

Mark Foster with Tim Brown, the designated premises supervisor outside The Manor House

First published in News
Last updated
East London and West Essex Guardian Series: Photograph of the Author by , Reporter - Waltham Forest

A businessman who has converted a former bank into a restaurant has been granted a premises licence to sell alcohol and remain open past midnight at weekends.

Former banker and owner Mark Foster, 40, of The Manor House in High Street, Wanstead, spent five hours finding out the conditions of his licence at a licensing sub-committee meeting at Redbridge Town Hall today. 

After hours of consultation and deliberation, Mr Foster said it was a "measured result".
Mr Foster has been granted permission to sell alcohol and play music until 11:30pm during weekdays and 12:30am on Friday and Saturdays.

The premise is allowed to remain open to the public until midnight on weekdays and 1am on weekends.

He said: "Today was a really big step for the business and the committee has given us conditions we can operate within so on our part it was not a bad outcome.

"It was a very thorough process and was a considered decision having listened from all parties."

The application was previously scrutinised by councillor Chris Cummins and his Snaresbrook ward Conservative councillors, after claiming a late licence would cause disturbance. 

He said: "There is a concern that people will leave the premises late at night and cause a real disturbance for residents of nearby flats.

"1.15am is too late. I don’t see any reason to extend into the early hours of the morning."

The former Allied Irish Bank and Conservative Club had been visited by some of Britain’s leading politicians including Sir Winston Churchill. 

Mr Foster said converting the 17th century listed building was "not an easy project".

"It has taken us a year to get to where we are.

“We've had to remove bullet-proof glass and tons of security and alarm equipment to transform it into a gastro pub."

Prior to Mr Foster purchasing the High Street premise which he describes as a coffee house and pub with dining rooms, it had been empty since December 2012.

Comments (7)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

6:52pm Tue 3 Jun 14

Villagecranberry says...

Here we have a situation where another 'Mojos' could happen.

They were warned and my sympathy is with the neighbours.
Here we have a situation where another 'Mojos' could happen. They were warned and my sympathy is with the neighbours. Villagecranberry
  • Score: 1

6:54pm Tue 3 Jun 14

Villagecranberry says...

Villagecranberry wrote:
Here we have a situation where another 'Mojos' could happen.

They were warned and my sympathy is with the neighbours.
“We've had to remove bullet-proof glass and tons of security and alarm equipment to transform it into a gastro pub."


Forgot to say, the glass could come in handy if it does end up like Mojos did!

Should have left it there?
[quote][p][bold]Villagecranberry[/bold] wrote: Here we have a situation where another 'Mojos' could happen. They were warned and my sympathy is with the neighbours.[/p][/quote]“We've had to remove bullet-proof glass and tons of security and alarm equipment to transform it into a gastro pub." Forgot to say, the glass could come in handy if it does end up like Mojos did! Should have left it there? Villagecranberry
  • Score: 0

8:00am Wed 4 Jun 14

tjm01 says...

Another stupid and ill informed comment from Villagecranberry,aka The Plank,

This will be a well managed restaurant, not a night club, and I wish it every success
Another stupid and ill informed comment from Villagecranberry,aka The Plank, This will be a well managed restaurant, not a night club, and I wish it every success tjm01
  • Score: 2

8:46am Wed 4 Jun 14

Villagecranberry says...

tjm01 wrote:
Another stupid and ill informed comment from Villagecranberry,aka The Plank,

This will be a well managed restaurant, not a night club, and I wish it every success
That is what they said about Mojoes, so on past evidence you would be the 'plank' for supporting this scheme when the right decision would have been to give them a 6 months 'probationary period' before granting yet another late licence when there are already numerous in the vicinity. I would not be too happy to have purchased a flat nearby when it had been a bank and is now a nightclub. This will be yet another magnate for trouble.
[quote][p][bold]tjm01[/bold] wrote: Another stupid and ill informed comment from Villagecranberry,aka The Plank, This will be a well managed restaurant, not a night club, and I wish it every success[/p][/quote]That is what they said about Mojoes, so on past evidence you would be the 'plank' for supporting this scheme when the right decision would have been to give them a 6 months 'probationary period' before granting yet another late licence when there are already numerous in the vicinity. I would not be too happy to have purchased a flat nearby when it had been a bank and is now a nightclub. This will be yet another magnate for trouble. Villagecranberry
  • Score: -1

2:44pm Wed 4 Jun 14

tjm01 says...

Villagecranberry wrote:
tjm01 wrote: Another stupid and ill informed comment from Villagecranberry,aka The Plank, This will be a well managed restaurant, not a night club, and I wish it every success
That is what they said about Mojoes, so on past evidence you would be the 'plank' for supporting this scheme when the right decision would have been to give them a 6 months 'probationary period' before granting yet another late licence when there are already numerous in the vicinity. I would not be too happy to have purchased a flat nearby when it had been a bank and is now a nightclub. This will be yet another magnate for trouble.
Mojo's was a nightclub, trading only as a nightclub serving alcohol until 03.00, with, on most Friday/Saturday nights approx 300-350 people in attendance ,this is a restaurant which like many other resturants would like to play music and so applied for a music licence this has been granted with conditions one of which being only able to play music until 11.30 weekdays and 12.30 Fridays and Saturdays, pretty much the same as most restaurants up and down the country,if as your comments seem to suggest there is a breach of the music licence then I am sure the local residents will take the appropiate action, how you can compare Mojo's to a restuarant is beyond me, once again your comments are based on pure speculation and stupidity,and support my reason for re-naming you The Plank
[quote][p][bold]Villagecranberry[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]tjm01[/bold] wrote: Another stupid and ill informed comment from Villagecranberry,aka The Plank, This will be a well managed restaurant, not a night club, and I wish it every success[/p][/quote]That is what they said about Mojoes, so on past evidence you would be the 'plank' for supporting this scheme when the right decision would have been to give them a 6 months 'probationary period' before granting yet another late licence when there are already numerous in the vicinity. I would not be too happy to have purchased a flat nearby when it had been a bank and is now a nightclub. This will be yet another magnate for trouble.[/p][/quote]Mojo's was a nightclub, trading only as a nightclub serving alcohol until 03.00, with, on most Friday/Saturday nights approx 300-350 people in attendance ,this is a restaurant which like many other resturants would like to play music and so applied for a music licence this has been granted with conditions one of which being only able to play music until 11.30 weekdays and 12.30 Fridays and Saturdays, pretty much the same as most restaurants up and down the country,if as your comments seem to suggest there is a breach of the music licence then I am sure the local residents will take the appropiate action, how you can compare Mojo's to a restuarant is beyond me, once again your comments are based on pure speculation and stupidity,and support my reason for re-naming you The Plank tjm01
  • Score: 2

4:56pm Wed 4 Jun 14

MorrisHickey says...

@ tjm01

The Plank? Are you sure you don't mean two short ones?
@ tjm01 The Plank? Are you sure you don't mean two short ones? MorrisHickey
  • Score: 1

5:21pm Wed 4 Jun 14

Villagecranberry says...

tjm01 wrote:
Villagecranberry wrote:
tjm01 wrote: Another stupid and ill informed comment from Villagecranberry,aka The Plank, This will be a well managed restaurant, not a night club, and I wish it every success
That is what they said about Mojoes, so on past evidence you would be the 'plank' for supporting this scheme when the right decision would have been to give them a 6 months 'probationary period' before granting yet another late licence when there are already numerous in the vicinity. I would not be too happy to have purchased a flat nearby when it had been a bank and is now a nightclub. This will be yet another magnate for trouble.
Mojo's was a nightclub, trading only as a nightclub serving alcohol until 03.00, with, on most Friday/Saturday nights approx 300-350 people in attendance ,this is a restaurant which like many other resturants would like to play music and so applied for a music licence this has been granted with conditions one of which being only able to play music until 11.30 weekdays and 12.30 Fridays and Saturdays, pretty much the same as most restaurants up and down the country,if as your comments seem to suggest there is a breach of the music licence then I am sure the local residents will take the appropiate action, how you can compare Mojo's to a restuarant is beyond me, once again your comments are based on pure speculation and stupidity,and support my reason for re-naming you The Plank
Mojo's used Trojan Horse tactics to get what they wanted and this will be the same, watch this space.
[quote][p][bold]tjm01[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Villagecranberry[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]tjm01[/bold] wrote: Another stupid and ill informed comment from Villagecranberry,aka The Plank, This will be a well managed restaurant, not a night club, and I wish it every success[/p][/quote]That is what they said about Mojoes, so on past evidence you would be the 'plank' for supporting this scheme when the right decision would have been to give them a 6 months 'probationary period' before granting yet another late licence when there are already numerous in the vicinity. I would not be too happy to have purchased a flat nearby when it had been a bank and is now a nightclub. This will be yet another magnate for trouble.[/p][/quote]Mojo's was a nightclub, trading only as a nightclub serving alcohol until 03.00, with, on most Friday/Saturday nights approx 300-350 people in attendance ,this is a restaurant which like many other resturants would like to play music and so applied for a music licence this has been granted with conditions one of which being only able to play music until 11.30 weekdays and 12.30 Fridays and Saturdays, pretty much the same as most restaurants up and down the country,if as your comments seem to suggest there is a breach of the music licence then I am sure the local residents will take the appropiate action, how you can compare Mojo's to a restuarant is beyond me, once again your comments are based on pure speculation and stupidity,and support my reason for re-naming you The Plank[/p][/quote]Mojo's used Trojan Horse tactics to get what they wanted and this will be the same, watch this space. Villagecranberry
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree