Epping tea hut battle to be taken to Lord Mayor

Bradley Melton's family have run the tea hut for 84 years

Bradley Melton's family have run the tea hut for 84 years

First published in News
Last updated
East London and West Essex Guardian Series: Photograph of the Author by , Reporter - Epping Forest

The organiser of a campaign to stop a forest tea hut being taken out of the hands of the family which has run it for more than 80 years has said he will take the fight to the Lord Mayor of London.

Paul Morris set up the petition on Friday after the City of London Corporation said it would put the lease for the business in Wood Hill, High Beech, out to tender.

The business has been run by the same family for 84 years and the corporation has not explained the timing of the move.

Mr Morris has so far gathered 5,000 signatures and has vowed to submit it to the Lord Mayor Alderman Fiona Woolf, who is the ceremonial figurehead of the City of London, when the total reaches 10,000.

Mr Morris, 42, who regularly visits the hut with fellow bikers, said: “I’ve been coming here since I was 15 and it’s a quintessential part of the forest.

“It’s popular because it’s different to all the big high street coffee shops and you get a all sorts of people meeting there.”

The City of London Corporation said the tender process has been launched due to budget reductions of 12.5 per cent in Epping Forest and the need to ensure value for money on its licensed outlets.

Epping MP Eleanor Laing has said she will discuss the issue with officials. 

A spokesperson said: “The trustees have decided to ensure that they are achieving the best possible level of service and return for this facility through public advertisement."

The petition can be found here.

Comments (11)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

4:45pm Thu 19 Jun 14

MICHAEL MCGOUGH says...

How sad. The Corporation of London is awash with cash a lot of which it uses to promote continued membership of the EU. This tea hut and the other at High Beech provide refreshment at prices everybody can afford.The last thing we want is a tarted up shed ripping us all off.

Rather than fiddling with trivia such as this the Lady Mayoress should be hard at work protecting the City, the power house of our economy ,from those in the EU seeking to destroy it.

Mine's a tea and fruit cake and well done on Eleanor for supporting this.
How sad. The Corporation of London is awash with cash a lot of which it uses to promote continued membership of the EU. This tea hut and the other at High Beech provide refreshment at prices everybody can afford.The last thing we want is a tarted up shed ripping us all off. Rather than fiddling with trivia such as this the Lady Mayoress should be hard at work protecting the City, the power house of our economy ,from those in the EU seeking to destroy it. Mine's a tea and fruit cake and well done on Eleanor for supporting this. MICHAEL MCGOUGH
  • Score: 2

5:06pm Thu 19 Jun 14

countrylad says...

It would be a shame to see this place go but a different owner on the site, not necessarily a big £ompany, mite earn more than a level 2 food hygiene rating.
It would be a shame to see this place go but a different owner on the site, not necessarily a big £ompany, mite earn more than a level 2 food hygiene rating. countrylad
  • Score: 0

5:32pm Thu 19 Jun 14

stickmanny says...

"the power house of our economy" - I hope that was irony.
"the power house of our economy" - I hope that was irony. stickmanny
  • Score: 0

10:46pm Thu 19 Jun 14

KateT says...

The link to the petition not given at the end of this article it can be found at: http://www.aboutmyar
ea.co.uk/Essex/Walth
am-Abbey/EN9/News/Lo
cal-News/274323-Save
-the-Tea-Hut-campaig
n-gains-phenomenal-c
ommunity-support

Please add your signature to the petition and support this campaign on social media - Save the Tea Hut on Facebook and Twitter.
The link to the petition not given at the end of this article it can be found at: http://www.aboutmyar ea.co.uk/Essex/Walth am-Abbey/EN9/News/Lo cal-News/274323-Save -the-Tea-Hut-campaig n-gains-phenomenal-c ommunity-support Please add your signature to the petition and support this campaign on social media - Save the Tea Hut on Facebook and Twitter. KateT
  • Score: 2

11:18pm Thu 19 Jun 14

Villagecranberry says...

KateT wrote:
The link to the petition not given at the end of this article it can be found at: http://www.aboutmyar

ea.co.uk/Essex/Walth

am-Abbey/EN9/News/Lo

cal-News/274323-Save

-the-Tea-Hut-campaig

n-gains-phenomenal-c

ommunity-support

Please add your signature to the petition and support this campaign on social media - Save the Tea Hut on Facebook and Twitter.
Is there a petition available if one thinks there should be a tender?

We are in a democratic country?
[quote][p][bold]KateT[/bold] wrote: The link to the petition not given at the end of this article it can be found at: http://www.aboutmyar ea.co.uk/Essex/Walth am-Abbey/EN9/News/Lo cal-News/274323-Save -the-Tea-Hut-campaig n-gains-phenomenal-c ommunity-support Please add your signature to the petition and support this campaign on social media - Save the Tea Hut on Facebook and Twitter.[/p][/quote]Is there a petition available if one thinks there should be a tender? We are in a democratic country? Villagecranberry
  • Score: -18

7:16am Fri 20 Jun 14

stickmanny says...

Oh you can't even be arsed to start one yourself.

Carry on wasting your life posting rubbish. be our guest.
Oh you can't even be arsed to start one yourself. Carry on wasting your life posting rubbish. be our guest. stickmanny
  • Score: 2

11:12am Fri 20 Jun 14

Paul Skinner says...

Villagecranberry wrote:
KateT wrote:
The link to the petition not given at the end of this article it can be found at: http://www.aboutmyar


ea.co.uk/Essex/Walth


am-Abbey/EN9/News/Lo


cal-News/274323-Save


-the-Tea-Hut-campaig


n-gains-phenomenal-c


ommunity-support

Please add your signature to the petition and support this campaign on social media - Save the Tea Hut on Facebook and Twitter.
Is there a petition available if one thinks there should be a tender?

We are in a democratic country?
Indeed we are. Set one up and enjoy having no-one sign it. You have a right to voice your opinion, and we have a right to ignore it. Much the same as City of London will no doubt do. Perhaps start one about victorian bricks not being painted too. I'm sure that will get many signatories.
[quote][p][bold]Villagecranberry[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]KateT[/bold] wrote: The link to the petition not given at the end of this article it can be found at: http://www.aboutmyar ea.co.uk/Essex/Walth am-Abbey/EN9/News/Lo cal-News/274323-Save -the-Tea-Hut-campaig n-gains-phenomenal-c ommunity-support Please add your signature to the petition and support this campaign on social media - Save the Tea Hut on Facebook and Twitter.[/p][/quote]Is there a petition available if one thinks there should be a tender? We are in a democratic country?[/p][/quote]Indeed we are. Set one up and enjoy having no-one sign it. You have a right to voice your opinion, and we have a right to ignore it. Much the same as City of London will no doubt do. Perhaps start one about victorian bricks not being painted too. I'm sure that will get many signatories. Paul Skinner
  • Score: 1

11:53am Fri 20 Jun 14

Villagecranberry says...

Paul Skinner wrote:
Villagecranberry wrote:
KateT wrote:
The link to the petition not given at the end of this article it can be found at: http://www.aboutmyar



ea.co.uk/Essex/Walth



am-Abbey/EN9/News/Lo



cal-News/274323-Save



-the-Tea-Hut-campaig



n-gains-phenomenal-c



ommunity-support

Please add your signature to the petition and support this campaign on social media - Save the Tea Hut on Facebook and Twitter.
Is there a petition available if one thinks there should be a tender?

We are in a democratic country?
Indeed we are. Set one up and enjoy having no-one sign it. You have a right to voice your opinion, and we have a right to ignore it. Much the same as City of London will no doubt do. Perhaps start one about victorian bricks not being painted too. I'm sure that will get many signatories.
Victorian bricks being paint encourage damp as they trap in moisture and the bricks cannot 'breath'.

The pro-tender petition will be the amount of applicants who apply.

We live in a democracy still I think.
[quote][p][bold]Paul Skinner[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Villagecranberry[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]KateT[/bold] wrote: The link to the petition not given at the end of this article it can be found at: http://www.aboutmyar ea.co.uk/Essex/Walth am-Abbey/EN9/News/Lo cal-News/274323-Save -the-Tea-Hut-campaig n-gains-phenomenal-c ommunity-support Please add your signature to the petition and support this campaign on social media - Save the Tea Hut on Facebook and Twitter.[/p][/quote]Is there a petition available if one thinks there should be a tender? We are in a democratic country?[/p][/quote]Indeed we are. Set one up and enjoy having no-one sign it. You have a right to voice your opinion, and we have a right to ignore it. Much the same as City of London will no doubt do. Perhaps start one about victorian bricks not being painted too. I'm sure that will get many signatories.[/p][/quote]Victorian bricks being paint encourage damp as they trap in moisture and the bricks cannot 'breath'. The pro-tender petition will be the amount of applicants who apply. We live in a democracy still I think. Villagecranberry
  • Score: -2

4:10pm Fri 20 Jun 14

Paul Skinner says...

Villagecranberry wrote:
Paul Skinner wrote:
Villagecranberry wrote:
KateT wrote:
The link to the petition not given at the end of this article it can be found at: http://www.aboutmyar




ea.co.uk/Essex/Walth




am-Abbey/EN9/News/Lo




cal-News/274323-Save




-the-Tea-Hut-campaig




n-gains-phenomenal-c




ommunity-support

Please add your signature to the petition and support this campaign on social media - Save the Tea Hut on Facebook and Twitter.
Is there a petition available if one thinks there should be a tender?

We are in a democratic country?
Indeed we are. Set one up and enjoy having no-one sign it. You have a right to voice your opinion, and we have a right to ignore it. Much the same as City of London will no doubt do. Perhaps start one about victorian bricks not being painted too. I'm sure that will get many signatories.
Victorian bricks being paint encourage damp as they trap in moisture and the bricks cannot 'breath'.

The pro-tender petition will be the amount of applicants who apply.

We live in a democracy still I think.
Indeed. Fewer people than 5,000 will apply, so you've lost that one. Congratulations!
[quote][p][bold]Villagecranberry[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Paul Skinner[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Villagecranberry[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]KateT[/bold] wrote: The link to the petition not given at the end of this article it can be found at: http://www.aboutmyar ea.co.uk/Essex/Walth am-Abbey/EN9/News/Lo cal-News/274323-Save -the-Tea-Hut-campaig n-gains-phenomenal-c ommunity-support Please add your signature to the petition and support this campaign on social media - Save the Tea Hut on Facebook and Twitter.[/p][/quote]Is there a petition available if one thinks there should be a tender? We are in a democratic country?[/p][/quote]Indeed we are. Set one up and enjoy having no-one sign it. You have a right to voice your opinion, and we have a right to ignore it. Much the same as City of London will no doubt do. Perhaps start one about victorian bricks not being painted too. I'm sure that will get many signatories.[/p][/quote]Victorian bricks being paint encourage damp as they trap in moisture and the bricks cannot 'breath'. The pro-tender petition will be the amount of applicants who apply. We live in a democracy still I think.[/p][/quote]Indeed. Fewer people than 5,000 will apply, so you've lost that one. Congratulations! Paul Skinner
  • Score: 0

5:01pm Fri 20 Jun 14

stickmanny says...

Won't someone PLEASE think of the bricks
Won't someone PLEASE think of the bricks stickmanny
  • Score: -2

11:19pm Fri 20 Jun 14

Villagecranberry says...

stickmanny wrote:
Won't someone PLEASE think of the bricks
Ralph might!
[quote][p][bold]stickmanny[/bold] wrote: Won't someone PLEASE think of the bricks[/p][/quote]Ralph might! Villagecranberry
  • Score: -1

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree