Residents of Waltham Forest have voiced concerns about shacks set up by homeless people under a bridge in Highams Paark calling it a 'shanty town'

Concern over 'shanty town' set up by homeless

'Shanty town' in Waltham Forest

Shack underneath Wadham Road

First published in News
Last updated
East London and West Essex Guardian Series: Photograph of the Author by , Reporter

Neighbours have voiced their concern after what they described as a “shanty town” appeared in Highams Park.

Set underneath a railway bridge in Wadham Road is a small site which homeless people have turned into a home with a living area, two sleeping areas and seating.

Residents of the man-made shacks, who were not at home when the Guardian visited, have set up two sleeping areas made of plywood and covered in blankets. Suitcases full of clothes and shoes are rested on top of the bunks which are big enough for numerous occupants.

Outside of one of the ‘bedrooms’ is a coffee table and chairs, making up what seems to be a small living area for the people residing in the camp.

But neighbours have taken to social media to speak out against the slum, which is full of human faeces and urine and has broken bottles strewn across the floor.

Waltham Forest council has been contacted for a comment.

Comments (30)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

5:30pm Wed 2 Jul 14

stickmanny says...

oh dear Coalition policies are bring the tone of the area down
oh dear Coalition policies are bring the tone of the area down stickmanny
  • Score: -14

5:50pm Wed 2 Jul 14

Villagecranberry says...

stickmanny wrote:
oh dear Coalition policies are bring the tone of the area down
You are correct, there were no homeless on the streets from 1997 for 13 years under New. 'things can only get better' Labour.

More importantly , who are these people? Illegal immigrants or EU citizens enriching the country? This is an important issue as if they are, what use are they here?

If they are not, this is a bit of waste ground and if they have set up home here , they are out of the way, at least the authorities can try and provide some support, in the form of food, clothing, bedding, health care and so on, rather than trying to shift them off and pass the buck.

They must need to be near here for some reason and not Marble Arch. This is of course the tip of the iceberg, as if one wanders along to the Argyle Avenue Industrial estate, one will see evidence of a much larger shanty town long established with a ready source of employment evermore with employers ever willing to exploit these people forced to live in such conditions, on wages below the minimum amount.
[quote][p][bold]stickmanny[/bold] wrote: oh dear Coalition policies are bring the tone of the area down[/p][/quote]You are correct, there were no homeless on the streets from 1997 for 13 years under New. 'things can only get better' Labour. More importantly , who are these people? Illegal immigrants or EU citizens enriching the country? This is an important issue as if they are, what use are they here? If they are not, this is a bit of waste ground and if they have set up home here , they are out of the way, at least the authorities can try and provide some support, in the form of food, clothing, bedding, health care and so on, rather than trying to shift them off and pass the buck. They must need to be near here for some reason and not Marble Arch. This is of course the tip of the iceberg, as if one wanders along to the Argyle Avenue Industrial estate, one will see evidence of a much larger shanty town long established with a ready source of employment evermore with employers ever willing to exploit these people forced to live in such conditions, on wages below the minimum amount. Villagecranberry
  • Score: 11

7:43pm Wed 2 Jul 14

anelia says...

It looks really bad.
But what makes you think that these people are illegal immigrants or EU citizens enriching the country?
Perhaps half of them are British?
What would you say then?
It looks really bad. But what makes you think that these people are illegal immigrants or EU citizens enriching the country? Perhaps half of them are British? What would you say then? anelia
  • Score: 2

8:22pm Wed 2 Jul 14

Villagecranberry says...

anelia wrote:
It looks really bad.
But what makes you think that these people are illegal immigrants or EU citizens enriching the country?
Perhaps half of them are British?
What would you say then?
You should read what I have said already as I have addressed your question already, help them. Help them whoever they are! I blame the system.

Maybe we need Labour back in power urgently as there were no rough sleepers when Labour ran the country from 1997 for 13 years.
[quote][p][bold]anelia[/bold] wrote: It looks really bad. But what makes you think that these people are illegal immigrants or EU citizens enriching the country? Perhaps half of them are British? What would you say then?[/p][/quote]You should read what I have said already as I have addressed your question already, help them. Help them whoever they are! I blame the system. Maybe we need Labour back in power urgently as there were no rough sleepers when Labour ran the country from 1997 for 13 years. Villagecranberry
  • Score: -8

10:17pm Wed 2 Jul 14

DaveInTheForest says...

stickmanny wrote:
oh dear Coalition policies are bring the tone of the area down
Tool
[quote][p][bold]stickmanny[/bold] wrote: oh dear Coalition policies are bring the tone of the area down[/p][/quote]Tool DaveInTheForest
  • Score: -9

11:08pm Wed 2 Jul 14

TonyO1 says...

Is not the truth the responsibility for the level of deprivation we now see regularly on our streets can be laid squarely at the feet of the old and failed once parties (LABOUR, CONSERVATIVE & LIB-DEMS) now just branches of the European Unions agency. Those people will, in all probability, be migrants needing assistance with repatriation to their homelands with the hard pressed people of Walthamstow having to foot the ever increasing bill. This madness has to stop!
Is not the truth the responsibility for the level of deprivation we now see regularly on our streets can be laid squarely at the feet of the old and failed once parties (LABOUR, CONSERVATIVE & LIB-DEMS) now just branches of the European Unions agency. Those people will, in all probability, be migrants needing assistance with repatriation to their homelands with the hard pressed people of Walthamstow having to foot the ever increasing bill. This madness has to stop! TonyO1
  • Score: 22

6:08am Thu 3 Jul 14

tjm01 says...

Villagecranberry wrote:
anelia wrote: It looks really bad. But what makes you think that these people are illegal immigrants or EU citizens enriching the country? Perhaps half of them are British? What would you say then?
You should read what I have said already as I have addressed your question already, help them. Help them whoever they are! I blame the system. Maybe we need Labour back in power urgently as there were no rough sleepers when Labour ran the country from 1997 for 13 years.
PLANK
[quote][p][bold]Villagecranberry[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]anelia[/bold] wrote: It looks really bad. But what makes you think that these people are illegal immigrants or EU citizens enriching the country? Perhaps half of them are British? What would you say then?[/p][/quote]You should read what I have said already as I have addressed your question already, help them. Help them whoever they are! I blame the system. Maybe we need Labour back in power urgently as there were no rough sleepers when Labour ran the country from 1997 for 13 years.[/p][/quote]PLANK tjm01
  • Score: -1

6:40am Thu 3 Jul 14

stickmanny says...

tool + PLANK = Cornbeefur
tool + PLANK = Cornbeefur stickmanny
  • Score: -12

7:03am Thu 3 Jul 14

jen68 says...

Coincidently there is now a spate of burglaries occurring in the vicinity
Coincidently there is now a spate of burglaries occurring in the vicinity jen68
  • Score: 3

7:54am Thu 3 Jul 14

Villagecranberry says...

tjm01 wrote:
Villagecranberry wrote:
anelia wrote: It looks really bad. But what makes you think that these people are illegal immigrants or EU citizens enriching the country? Perhaps half of them are British? What would you say then?
You should read what I have said already as I have addressed your question already, help them. Help them whoever they are! I blame the system. Maybe we need Labour back in power urgently as there were no rough sleepers when Labour ran the country from 1997 for 13 years.
PLANK
Do you have anything to suggest about the homeless problem in the area?
[quote][p][bold]tjm01[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Villagecranberry[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]anelia[/bold] wrote: It looks really bad. But what makes you think that these people are illegal immigrants or EU citizens enriching the country? Perhaps half of them are British? What would you say then?[/p][/quote]You should read what I have said already as I have addressed your question already, help them. Help them whoever they are! I blame the system. Maybe we need Labour back in power urgently as there were no rough sleepers when Labour ran the country from 1997 for 13 years.[/p][/quote]PLANK[/p][/quote]Do you have anything to suggest about the homeless problem in the area? Villagecranberry
  • Score: -3

9:31am Thu 3 Jul 14

Alan_1976 says...

DaveInTheForest wrote:
stickmanny wrote:
oh dear Coalition policies are bring the tone of the area down
Tool
Thanks for playing Dave but I'm afraid the answer was "C. Anthony Hopkins in 'Mutiny on the Bounty'".
[quote][p][bold]DaveInTheForest[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]stickmanny[/bold] wrote: oh dear Coalition policies are bring the tone of the area down[/p][/quote]Tool[/p][/quote]Thanks for playing Dave but I'm afraid the answer was "C. Anthony Hopkins in 'Mutiny on the Bounty'". Alan_1976
  • Score: 1

11:50am Thu 3 Jul 14

DaveInTheForest says...

stickmanny wrote:
tool + PLANK = Cornbeefur
stickmanny = tool
[quote][p][bold]stickmanny[/bold] wrote: tool + PLANK = Cornbeefur[/p][/quote]stickmanny = tool DaveInTheForest
  • Score: 0

12:09pm Thu 3 Jul 14

G_Whiz says...

I dunno, one minute we get Lectured by the media that we should let all of Europe in to drive wages down. The next the media is moaning about the consequences.

I like the Way this Paper is so P.C. it does not mention that the shanty town is populated by Eastern Europeans, even though the Local residents told them they were! I just wish i was as Naive as anelia - life would be so much less stressful!
I dunno, one minute we get Lectured by the media that we should let all of Europe in to drive wages down. The next the media is moaning about the consequences. I like the Way this Paper is so P.C. it does not mention that the shanty town is populated by Eastern Europeans, even though the Local residents told them they were! I just wish i was as Naive as anelia - life would be so much less stressful! G_Whiz
  • Score: 14

12:15pm Thu 3 Jul 14

stickmanny says...

Dave do you have anything to suggest about the homeless problem in the area?
Dave do you have anything to suggest about the homeless problem in the area? stickmanny
  • Score: -8

1:18pm Thu 3 Jul 14

Alan_1976 says...

DaveInTheForest wrote:
stickmanny wrote:
tool + PLANK = Cornbeefur
stickmanny = tool
Oh it just isn't your day is it Dave. I'm sorry the answer we were looking for there was "The Battle of Waterloo = 1815".

Commiserations Dave and have a safe trip back to the Forest
[quote][p][bold]DaveInTheForest[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]stickmanny[/bold] wrote: tool + PLANK = Cornbeefur[/p][/quote]stickmanny = tool[/p][/quote]Oh it just isn't your day is it Dave. I'm sorry the answer we were looking for there was "The Battle of Waterloo = 1815". Commiserations Dave and have a safe trip back to the Forest Alan_1976
  • Score: 4

3:58pm Thu 3 Jul 14

DaveInTheForest says...

Alan_1976 wrote:
DaveInTheForest wrote:
stickmanny wrote:
tool + PLANK = Cornbeefur
stickmanny = tool
Oh it just isn't your day is it Dave. I'm sorry the answer we were looking for there was "The Battle of Waterloo = 1815".

Commiserations Dave and have a safe trip back to the Forest
Stickmanny = Alan = tools
[quote][p][bold]Alan_1976[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]DaveInTheForest[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]stickmanny[/bold] wrote: tool + PLANK = Cornbeefur[/p][/quote]stickmanny = tool[/p][/quote]Oh it just isn't your day is it Dave. I'm sorry the answer we were looking for there was "The Battle of Waterloo = 1815". Commiserations Dave and have a safe trip back to the Forest[/p][/quote]Stickmanny = Alan = tools DaveInTheForest
  • Score: -3

4:16pm Thu 3 Jul 14

Alan_1976 says...

DaveInTheForest wrote:
Alan_1976 wrote:
DaveInTheForest wrote:
stickmanny wrote:
tool + PLANK = Cornbeefur
stickmanny = tool
Oh it just isn't your day is it Dave. I'm sorry the answer we were looking for there was "The Battle of Waterloo = 1815".

Commiserations Dave and have a safe trip back to the Forest
Stickmanny = Alan = tools
Sorry Dave I'm afraid I can only take your first answer.

I'm sorry to say you've missed out on the opportunity to win the entire Kajagoogoo back catalogue there. Better luck next time Dave.

That's DaveInTheForest there Ladies and Gentleman who leaves empty handed despite being one of the few people who makes a French mime seem overly verbose.
[quote][p][bold]DaveInTheForest[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Alan_1976[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]DaveInTheForest[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]stickmanny[/bold] wrote: tool + PLANK = Cornbeefur[/p][/quote]stickmanny = tool[/p][/quote]Oh it just isn't your day is it Dave. I'm sorry the answer we were looking for there was "The Battle of Waterloo = 1815". Commiserations Dave and have a safe trip back to the Forest[/p][/quote]Stickmanny = Alan = tools[/p][/quote]Sorry Dave I'm afraid I can only take your first answer. I'm sorry to say you've missed out on the opportunity to win the entire Kajagoogoo back catalogue there. Better luck next time Dave. That's DaveInTheForest there Ladies and Gentleman who leaves empty handed despite being one of the few people who makes a French mime seem overly verbose. Alan_1976
  • Score: 6

4:19pm Thu 3 Jul 14

DaveInTheForest says...

Alan_1976 wrote:
DaveInTheForest wrote:
Alan_1976 wrote:
DaveInTheForest wrote:
stickmanny wrote:
tool + PLANK = Cornbeefur
stickmanny = tool
Oh it just isn't your day is it Dave. I'm sorry the answer we were looking for there was "The Battle of Waterloo = 1815".

Commiserations Dave and have a safe trip back to the Forest
Stickmanny = Alan = tools
Sorry Dave I'm afraid I can only take your first answer.

I'm sorry to say you've missed out on the opportunity to win the entire Kajagoogoo back catalogue there. Better luck next time Dave.

That's DaveInTheForest there Ladies and Gentleman who leaves empty handed despite being one of the few people who makes a French mime seem overly verbose.
Big tool
[quote][p][bold]Alan_1976[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]DaveInTheForest[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Alan_1976[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]DaveInTheForest[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]stickmanny[/bold] wrote: tool + PLANK = Cornbeefur[/p][/quote]stickmanny = tool[/p][/quote]Oh it just isn't your day is it Dave. I'm sorry the answer we were looking for there was "The Battle of Waterloo = 1815". Commiserations Dave and have a safe trip back to the Forest[/p][/quote]Stickmanny = Alan = tools[/p][/quote]Sorry Dave I'm afraid I can only take your first answer. I'm sorry to say you've missed out on the opportunity to win the entire Kajagoogoo back catalogue there. Better luck next time Dave. That's DaveInTheForest there Ladies and Gentleman who leaves empty handed despite being one of the few people who makes a French mime seem overly verbose.[/p][/quote]Big tool DaveInTheForest
  • Score: -6

4:51pm Thu 3 Jul 14

Alan_1976 says...

Dave. We asked 100 people what they thought the least likely review comments would be on the "DaveInTheForest charity naked calendar: Dave au naturel through the seasons" would be.

Your answer "Big tool".

Let's take a look.

Congratulations Dave! That's our top answer. Also in the top answers was "It must have been cold out".

The Teasmaid is yours to take home.
Dave. We asked 100 people what they thought the least likely review comments would be on the "DaveInTheForest charity naked calendar: Dave au naturel through the seasons" would be. Your answer "Big tool". Let's take a look. Congratulations Dave! That's our top answer. Also in the top answers was "It must have been cold out". The Teasmaid is yours to take home. Alan_1976
  • Score: 6

6:32pm Thu 3 Jul 14

stickmanny says...

Dave thinks about tools a lot I guess that's why he's in the Forest.

I though you were vegetarian Dave but whatever floats your boat is fine by us
Dave thinks about tools a lot I guess that's why he's in the Forest. I though you were vegetarian Dave but whatever floats your boat is fine by us stickmanny
  • Score: -6

8:17am Fri 4 Jul 14

tjm01 says...

Anyway back to the story, can some please confirm wheather this "Shanty Town" is predominantly populated by Eastern Europeans, and the reason I ask is quite often where large numbers of Eastern Europeans congregate (i:e Park Lane, Baker Street, Oxford Street, Regent Street) often results in crimes being committed by persons who may have entered the U.K Illegally , now I am not for one moment suggesting this is the case here, and of course U.K nationals commit crimes, just trying to balance the scales of opinion
Anyway back to the story, can some please confirm wheather this "Shanty Town" is predominantly populated by Eastern Europeans, and the reason I ask is quite often where large numbers of Eastern Europeans congregate (i:e Park Lane, Baker Street, Oxford Street, Regent Street) often results in crimes being committed by persons who may have entered the U.K Illegally , now I am not for one moment suggesting this is the case here, and of course U.K nationals commit crimes, just trying to balance the scales of opinion tjm01
  • Score: 6

2:36pm Fri 4 Jul 14

Villagecranberry says...

tjm01 wrote:
Anyway back to the story, can some please confirm wheather this "Shanty Town" is predominantly populated by Eastern Europeans, and the reason I ask is quite often where large numbers of Eastern Europeans congregate (i:e Park Lane, Baker Street, Oxford Street, Regent Street) often results in crimes being committed by persons who may have entered the U.K Illegally , now I am not for one moment suggesting this is the case here, and of course U.K nationals commit crimes, just trying to balance the scales of opinion
Plankton
[quote][p][bold]tjm01[/bold] wrote: Anyway back to the story, can some please confirm wheather this "Shanty Town" is predominantly populated by Eastern Europeans, and the reason I ask is quite often where large numbers of Eastern Europeans congregate (i:e Park Lane, Baker Street, Oxford Street, Regent Street) often results in crimes being committed by persons who may have entered the U.K Illegally , now I am not for one moment suggesting this is the case here, and of course U.K nationals commit crimes, just trying to balance the scales of opinion[/p][/quote]Plankton Villagecranberry
  • Score: -1

3:52pm Fri 4 Jul 14

myopinioncounts says...

Why does the Guardian allow these idiots to continue their rants which detract from the seriousness of the report?
Anyone found living in a shanty town or rough sleeping, who is not a citizen of this country should be returned home at the expense of THEIR Government. Of the now 27 (?) EU countries there are too many who have been glad to see so many of their citizens 'ship out' to wealthier member states where they become a burden.
Why does the Guardian allow these idiots to continue their rants which detract from the seriousness of the report? Anyone found living in a shanty town or rough sleeping, who is not a citizen of this country should be returned home at the expense of THEIR Government. Of the now 27 (?) EU countries there are too many who have been glad to see so many of their citizens 'ship out' to wealthier member states where they become a burden. myopinioncounts
  • Score: 8

4:12pm Fri 4 Jul 14

Alan_1976 says...

myopinioncounts wrote:
Why does the Guardian allow these idiots to continue their rants which detract from the seriousness of the report?
Anyone found living in a shanty town or rough sleeping, who is not a citizen of this country should be returned home at the expense of THEIR Government. Of the now 27 (?) EU countries there are too many who have been glad to see so many of their citizens 'ship out' to wealthier member states where they become a burden.
Not once in the report does it actually state that the dwellers are not from this country. It makes no mention of it whatsoever.
[quote][p][bold]myopinioncounts[/bold] wrote: Why does the Guardian allow these idiots to continue their rants which detract from the seriousness of the report? Anyone found living in a shanty town or rough sleeping, who is not a citizen of this country should be returned home at the expense of THEIR Government. Of the now 27 (?) EU countries there are too many who have been glad to see so many of their citizens 'ship out' to wealthier member states where they become a burden.[/p][/quote]Not once in the report does it actually state that the dwellers are not from this country. It makes no mention of it whatsoever. Alan_1976
  • Score: 4

4:22pm Fri 4 Jul 14

Villagecranberry says...

myopinioncounts wrote:
Why does the Guardian allow these idiots to continue their rants which detract from the seriousness of the report?
Anyone found living in a shanty town or rough sleeping, who is not a citizen of this country should be returned home at the expense of THEIR Government. Of the now 27 (?) EU countries there are too many who have been glad to see so many of their citizens 'ship out' to wealthier member states where they become a burden.
It is strange how certain people try to bury their head in the sand or don cranberry tinted spectacles at the mere suggestion that this desperate people could possibly be immigrants.

There is an updated story now on this site (without a comment facility) where a man named Robert from Poland tells of his tales of woe and how he lost his job and turned to drink and so on.m whilst I have sympathy for Robert's predicament, I again have to question, why do we as a nation have to pick up the problem cases of the rest of the World and especially Europe? I was around the a Bakers Arms earlier and saw at least six East Europeans , I am sure were Polish, drunk as skunks at 11am drinking canned beer and dishevelled, generally making the place look unwelcoming. Why are these people here and how are they enriching the society?

I have come to the conclusion that it is just because we are a soft touch, they are receiving benefits and rather than be in Poland where the Police are apparently brutal, we rarely have police on the streets these days so they are encouraged to stay here for an easier life.

This is plain wrong as they just take and put nothing back into the system except make the Offlicensees wealthier.
[quote][p][bold]myopinioncounts[/bold] wrote: Why does the Guardian allow these idiots to continue their rants which detract from the seriousness of the report? Anyone found living in a shanty town or rough sleeping, who is not a citizen of this country should be returned home at the expense of THEIR Government. Of the now 27 (?) EU countries there are too many who have been glad to see so many of their citizens 'ship out' to wealthier member states where they become a burden.[/p][/quote]It is strange how certain people try to bury their head in the sand or don cranberry tinted spectacles at the mere suggestion that this desperate people could possibly be immigrants. There is an updated story now on this site (without a comment facility) where a man named Robert from Poland tells of his tales of woe and how he lost his job and turned to drink and so on.m whilst I have sympathy for Robert's predicament, I again have to question, why do we as a nation have to pick up the problem cases of the rest of the World and especially Europe? I was around the a Bakers Arms earlier and saw at least six East Europeans , I am sure were Polish, drunk as skunks at 11am drinking canned beer and dishevelled, generally making the place look unwelcoming. Why are these people here and how are they enriching the society? I have come to the conclusion that it is just because we are a soft touch, they are receiving benefits and rather than be in Poland where the Police are apparently brutal, we rarely have police on the streets these days so they are encouraged to stay here for an easier life. This is plain wrong as they just take and put nothing back into the system except make the Offlicensees wealthier. Villagecranberry
  • Score: -6

4:36pm Fri 4 Jul 14

Alan_1976 says...

It's strange how certain people comment without the need to actually base their comments on the true status of things.

For anyone to claim benefits in this country they have to "have a ‘right to reside’ (can legally live here) and are ‘habitually resident’ (this is the place you normally live) in the UK, the Channel Islands, the Isle of Man or the Republic of Ireland."

But don't worry about that we can just look at the facts and figures

http://niesr.ac.uk/b
log/benefit-tourism-
commission-gives-us-
some-facts#.U7bI869O
XIU

"So, once again, we are left with the conclusion that in the absence of immigration the public finances would be in an even worse state – we’d be spending somewhat less, but we’d lose even more than that on tax, both in the short and the long run, as the OBR has pointed out. The report also goes on to confirm what those of us who’ve been working in this area have known for some time – there is no evidence at all that so-called “benefit tourism” is a significant issue. "

"calling for action on “benefit tourism” is a solution in search of a problem; as Theresa May admitted last week, it’s about perception not reality."

But then no-one expected VillageCranberry to actual deal in facts...
It's strange how certain people comment without the need to actually base their comments on the true status of things. For anyone to claim benefits in this country they have to "have a ‘right to reside’ (can legally live here) and are ‘habitually resident’ (this is the place you normally live) in the UK, the Channel Islands, the Isle of Man or the Republic of Ireland." But don't worry about that we can just look at the facts and figures http://niesr.ac.uk/b log/benefit-tourism- commission-gives-us- some-facts#.U7bI869O XIU "So, once again, we are left with the conclusion that in the absence of immigration the public finances would be in an even worse state – we’d be spending somewhat less, but we’d lose even more than that on tax, both in the short and the long run, as the OBR has pointed out. The report also goes on to confirm what those of us who’ve been working in this area have known for some time – there is no evidence at all that so-called “benefit tourism” is a significant issue. " "calling for action on “benefit tourism” is a solution in search of a problem; as Theresa May admitted last week, it’s about perception not reality." But then no-one expected VillageCranberry to actual deal in facts... Alan_1976
  • Score: 6

10:27pm Fri 4 Jul 14

Villagecranberry says...

Alan_1976 wrote:
It's strange how certain people comment without the need to actually base their comments on the true status of things.

For anyone to claim benefits in this country they have to "have a ‘right to reside’ (can legally live here) and are ‘habitually resident’ (this is the place you normally live) in the UK, the Channel Islands, the Isle of Man or the Republic of Ireland."

But don't worry about that we can just look at the facts and figures

http://niesr.ac.uk/b

log/benefit-tourism-

commission-gives-us-

some-facts#.U7bI869O

XIU

"So, once again, we are left with the conclusion that in the absence of immigration the public finances would be in an even worse state – we’d be spending somewhat less, but we’d lose even more than that on tax, both in the short and the long run, as the OBR has pointed out. The report also goes on to confirm what those of us who’ve been working in this area have known for some time – there is no evidence at all that so-called “benefit tourism” is a significant issue. "

"calling for action on “benefit tourism” is a solution in search of a problem; as Theresa May admitted last week, it’s about perception not reality."

But then no-one expected VillageCranberry to actual deal in facts...
Why do you not stick to the facts? Robert in the other story admits he is from Poland and that he lost his job and so on. Why should I as an anti-EU, taxpayer pick him up as a problem case? When answering, please consider multiplying Roberts case by many thousands.

We simply cannot afford to be a dumping ground for the rest of the world in my view.
[quote][p][bold]Alan_1976[/bold] wrote: It's strange how certain people comment without the need to actually base their comments on the true status of things. For anyone to claim benefits in this country they have to "have a ‘right to reside’ (can legally live here) and are ‘habitually resident’ (this is the place you normally live) in the UK, the Channel Islands, the Isle of Man or the Republic of Ireland." But don't worry about that we can just look at the facts and figures http://niesr.ac.uk/b log/benefit-tourism- commission-gives-us- some-facts#.U7bI869O XIU "So, once again, we are left with the conclusion that in the absence of immigration the public finances would be in an even worse state – we’d be spending somewhat less, but we’d lose even more than that on tax, both in the short and the long run, as the OBR has pointed out. The report also goes on to confirm what those of us who’ve been working in this area have known for some time – there is no evidence at all that so-called “benefit tourism” is a significant issue. " "calling for action on “benefit tourism” is a solution in search of a problem; as Theresa May admitted last week, it’s about perception not reality." But then no-one expected VillageCranberry to actual deal in facts...[/p][/quote]Why do you not stick to the facts? Robert in the other story admits he is from Poland and that he lost his job and so on. Why should I as an anti-EU, taxpayer pick him up as a problem case? When answering, please consider multiplying Roberts case by many thousands. We simply cannot afford to be a dumping ground for the rest of the world in my view. Villagecranberry
  • Score: -20

6:44am Sat 5 Jul 14

Alan_1976 says...

Villagecranberry wrote:
Alan_1976 wrote:
It's strange how certain people comment without the need to actually base their comments on the true status of things.

For anyone to claim benefits in this country they have to "have a ‘right to reside’ (can legally live here) and are ‘habitually resident’ (this is the place you normally live) in the UK, the Channel Islands, the Isle of Man or the Republic of Ireland."

But don't worry about that we can just look at the facts and figures

http://niesr.ac.uk/b


log/benefit-tourism-


commission-gives-us-


some-facts#.U7bI869O


XIU

"So, once again, we are left with the conclusion that in the absence of immigration the public finances would be in an even worse state – we’d be spending somewhat less, but we’d lose even more than that on tax, both in the short and the long run, as the OBR has pointed out. The report also goes on to confirm what those of us who’ve been working in this area have known for some time – there is no evidence at all that so-called “benefit tourism” is a significant issue. "

"calling for action on “benefit tourism” is a solution in search of a problem; as Theresa May admitted last week, it’s about perception not reality."

But then no-one expected VillageCranberry to actual deal in facts...
Why do you not stick to the facts? Robert in the other story admits he is from Poland and that he lost his job and so on. Why should I as an anti-EU, taxpayer pick him up as a problem case? When answering, please consider multiplying Roberts case by many thousands.

We simply cannot afford to be a dumping ground for the rest of the world in my view.
Facts, Village, Facts.

Robert in the other story quite clearly states that he is not claiming any benefits...

Robert also states that he has lost his job here. His job from which he has paid many years of tax to this country.

So considering he is currently costing the UK nothing in benefits and has previously contributed to the finances of the country he has not been "dumped" here.

Reality Village. Reality. Even the story you reference doesn't back up your claims...
[quote][p][bold]Villagecranberry[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Alan_1976[/bold] wrote: It's strange how certain people comment without the need to actually base their comments on the true status of things. For anyone to claim benefits in this country they have to "have a ‘right to reside’ (can legally live here) and are ‘habitually resident’ (this is the place you normally live) in the UK, the Channel Islands, the Isle of Man or the Republic of Ireland." But don't worry about that we can just look at the facts and figures http://niesr.ac.uk/b log/benefit-tourism- commission-gives-us- some-facts#.U7bI869O XIU "So, once again, we are left with the conclusion that in the absence of immigration the public finances would be in an even worse state – we’d be spending somewhat less, but we’d lose even more than that on tax, both in the short and the long run, as the OBR has pointed out. The report also goes on to confirm what those of us who’ve been working in this area have known for some time – there is no evidence at all that so-called “benefit tourism” is a significant issue. " "calling for action on “benefit tourism” is a solution in search of a problem; as Theresa May admitted last week, it’s about perception not reality." But then no-one expected VillageCranberry to actual deal in facts...[/p][/quote]Why do you not stick to the facts? Robert in the other story admits he is from Poland and that he lost his job and so on. Why should I as an anti-EU, taxpayer pick him up as a problem case? When answering, please consider multiplying Roberts case by many thousands. We simply cannot afford to be a dumping ground for the rest of the world in my view.[/p][/quote]Facts, Village, Facts. Robert in the other story quite clearly states that he is not claiming any benefits... Robert also states that he has lost his job here. His job from which he has paid many years of tax to this country. So considering he is currently costing the UK nothing in benefits and has previously contributed to the finances of the country he has not been "dumped" here. Reality Village. Reality. Even the story you reference doesn't back up your claims... Alan_1976
  • Score: 17

10:14am Sat 5 Jul 14

anelia says...

Villagecranberry wrote:
myopinioncounts wrote:
Why does the Guardian allow these idiots to continue their rants which detract from the seriousness of the report?
Anyone found living in a shanty town or rough sleeping, who is not a citizen of this country should be returned home at the expense of THEIR Government. Of the now 27 (?) EU countries there are too many who have been glad to see so many of their citizens 'ship out' to wealthier member states where they become a burden.
It is strange how certain people try to bury their head in the sand or don cranberry tinted spectacles at the mere suggestion that this desperate people could possibly be immigrants.

There is an updated story now on this site (without a comment facility) where a man named Robert from Poland tells of his tales of woe and how he lost his job and turned to drink and so on.m whilst I have sympathy for Robert's predicament, I again have to question, why do we as a nation have to pick up the problem cases of the rest of the World and especially Europe? I was around the a Bakers Arms earlier and saw at least six East Europeans , I am sure were Polish, drunk as skunks at 11am drinking canned beer and dishevelled, generally making the place look unwelcoming. Why are these people here and how are they enriching the society?

I have come to the conclusion that it is just because we are a soft touch, they are receiving benefits and rather than be in Poland where the Police are apparently brutal, we rarely have police on the streets these days so they are encouraged to stay here for an easier life.

This is plain wrong as they just take and put nothing back into the system except make the Offlicensees wealthier.
For your information - not just polish people are drinking alkohol. Most pubs are open from 10/11am and you can hardly find any polish guy in there. They are all British! What British are doing in the pub at 11am in the middle of the week? Aren't they supposed to go to work? Of course not - because they are all on benefit.
BTW it's a shame to see how British people behave abroad. Go to Spain for example and see all those drunk girls and woman acting like.... Go to Poland and you will see naked British running across the street. Many pubs in Poland don't want to serve British customers! So it's nothing to be proud of!!!
I know many people from Eastern Europe and none of them claims benefit. Also none of them are living in the Council flats. Who usually lives in the council flat? I think you all know the answer!
It's easy to judge people, perhaps you should first look at youself!
[quote][p][bold]Villagecranberry[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]myopinioncounts[/bold] wrote: Why does the Guardian allow these idiots to continue their rants which detract from the seriousness of the report? Anyone found living in a shanty town or rough sleeping, who is not a citizen of this country should be returned home at the expense of THEIR Government. Of the now 27 (?) EU countries there are too many who have been glad to see so many of their citizens 'ship out' to wealthier member states where they become a burden.[/p][/quote]It is strange how certain people try to bury their head in the sand or don cranberry tinted spectacles at the mere suggestion that this desperate people could possibly be immigrants. There is an updated story now on this site (without a comment facility) where a man named Robert from Poland tells of his tales of woe and how he lost his job and turned to drink and so on.m whilst I have sympathy for Robert's predicament, I again have to question, why do we as a nation have to pick up the problem cases of the rest of the World and especially Europe? I was around the a Bakers Arms earlier and saw at least six East Europeans , I am sure were Polish, drunk as skunks at 11am drinking canned beer and dishevelled, generally making the place look unwelcoming. Why are these people here and how are they enriching the society? I have come to the conclusion that it is just because we are a soft touch, they are receiving benefits and rather than be in Poland where the Police are apparently brutal, we rarely have police on the streets these days so they are encouraged to stay here for an easier life. This is plain wrong as they just take and put nothing back into the system except make the Offlicensees wealthier.[/p][/quote]For your information - not just polish people are drinking alkohol. Most pubs are open from 10/11am and you can hardly find any polish guy in there. They are all British! What British are doing in the pub at 11am in the middle of the week? Aren't they supposed to go to work? Of course not - because they are all on benefit. BTW it's a shame to see how British people behave abroad. Go to Spain for example and see all those drunk girls and woman acting like.... Go to Poland and you will see naked British running across the street. Many pubs in Poland don't want to serve British customers! So it's nothing to be proud of!!! I know many people from Eastern Europe and none of them claims benefit. Also none of them are living in the Council flats. Who usually lives in the council flat? I think you all know the answer! It's easy to judge people, perhaps you should first look at youself! anelia
  • Score: 7

9:02pm Mon 7 Jul 14

Villagecranberry says...

anelia wrote:
Villagecranberry wrote:
myopinioncounts wrote:
Why does the Guardian allow these idiots to continue their rants which detract from the seriousness of the report?
Anyone found living in a shanty town or rough sleeping, who is not a citizen of this country should be returned home at the expense of THEIR Government. Of the now 27 (?) EU countries there are too many who have been glad to see so many of their citizens 'ship out' to wealthier member states where they become a burden.
It is strange how certain people try to bury their head in the sand or don cranberry tinted spectacles at the mere suggestion that this desperate people could possibly be immigrants.

There is an updated story now on this site (without a comment facility) where a man named Robert from Poland tells of his tales of woe and how he lost his job and turned to drink and so on.m whilst I have sympathy for Robert's predicament, I again have to question, why do we as a nation have to pick up the problem cases of the rest of the World and especially Europe? I was around the a Bakers Arms earlier and saw at least six East Europeans , I am sure were Polish, drunk as skunks at 11am drinking canned beer and dishevelled, generally making the place look unwelcoming. Why are these people here and how are they enriching the society?

I have come to the conclusion that it is just because we are a soft touch, they are receiving benefits and rather than be in Poland where the Police are apparently brutal, we rarely have police on the streets these days so they are encouraged to stay here for an easier life.

This is plain wrong as they just take and put nothing back into the system except make the Offlicensees wealthier.
For your information - not just polish people are drinking alkohol. Most pubs are open from 10/11am and you can hardly find any polish guy in there. They are all British! What British are doing in the pub at 11am in the middle of the week? Aren't they supposed to go to work? Of course not - because they are all on benefit.
BTW it's a shame to see how British people behave abroad. Go to Spain for example and see all those drunk girls and woman acting like.... Go to Poland and you will see naked British running across the street. Many pubs in Poland don't want to serve British customers! So it's nothing to be proud of!!!
I know many people from Eastern Europe and none of them claims benefit. Also none of them are living in the Council flats. Who usually lives in the council flat? I think you all know the answer!
It's easy to judge people, perhaps you should first look at youself!
Robert in the other article on the same story must be making it up then?
[quote][p][bold]anelia[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Villagecranberry[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]myopinioncounts[/bold] wrote: Why does the Guardian allow these idiots to continue their rants which detract from the seriousness of the report? Anyone found living in a shanty town or rough sleeping, who is not a citizen of this country should be returned home at the expense of THEIR Government. Of the now 27 (?) EU countries there are too many who have been glad to see so many of their citizens 'ship out' to wealthier member states where they become a burden.[/p][/quote]It is strange how certain people try to bury their head in the sand or don cranberry tinted spectacles at the mere suggestion that this desperate people could possibly be immigrants. There is an updated story now on this site (without a comment facility) where a man named Robert from Poland tells of his tales of woe and how he lost his job and turned to drink and so on.m whilst I have sympathy for Robert's predicament, I again have to question, why do we as a nation have to pick up the problem cases of the rest of the World and especially Europe? I was around the a Bakers Arms earlier and saw at least six East Europeans , I am sure were Polish, drunk as skunks at 11am drinking canned beer and dishevelled, generally making the place look unwelcoming. Why are these people here and how are they enriching the society? I have come to the conclusion that it is just because we are a soft touch, they are receiving benefits and rather than be in Poland where the Police are apparently brutal, we rarely have police on the streets these days so they are encouraged to stay here for an easier life. This is plain wrong as they just take and put nothing back into the system except make the Offlicensees wealthier.[/p][/quote]For your information - not just polish people are drinking alkohol. Most pubs are open from 10/11am and you can hardly find any polish guy in there. They are all British! What British are doing in the pub at 11am in the middle of the week? Aren't they supposed to go to work? Of course not - because they are all on benefit. BTW it's a shame to see how British people behave abroad. Go to Spain for example and see all those drunk girls and woman acting like.... Go to Poland and you will see naked British running across the street. Many pubs in Poland don't want to serve British customers! So it's nothing to be proud of!!! I know many people from Eastern Europe and none of them claims benefit. Also none of them are living in the Council flats. Who usually lives in the council flat? I think you all know the answer! It's easy to judge people, perhaps you should first look at youself![/p][/quote]Robert in the other article on the same story must be making it up then? Villagecranberry
  • Score: -13

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree