Six-year-old saves mother after severe allergic reaction (From East London and West Essex Guardian Series)
Send photos, video and news by texting GUARDIAN SERIES to 80360 (cost 10p), or upload here
Six-year-old from Chingford saves mother after severe allergic reaction
A six-year-old boy’s quick thinking saved his mother’s life after a severe allergic reaction.
Kim Benstead suffered an acute asthma attack triggered by hay fever after working in the garden of her home in Chadwick Avenue, Chingford, on Sunday.
She took multiple pulls on her inhaler, but her condition worsened and she began to pass out.
Her son Calum Clennell then intervened, using his mother’s mobile phone to alert his grandmother, Lorraine, of nearby Abbotts Crescent.
She soon arrived at the house and called an ambulance.
Ms Benstead was taken to Whipps Cross Hospital for treatment and discharged on Sunday evening.
She said: "My chest was getting tighter. I tried the pump about eight time times but I couldn't breathe or remember anything.
"I thought 'I'm gonna die'. I couldn't talk and then Calum took over and literally saved my life."
For more on this story see Thursday's Waltham Forest and Chingford Guardians.