Plea to parents over controversial 'merger' of Newport Primary and Dawlish primary schools in Leyton

East London and West Essex Guardian Series: Dawlish Primary School in Leyton Dawlish Primary School in Leyton

Parents concerned over the proposed union of two schools have been urged to take part in a public consultation.

Waltham Forest Council’s cabinet member for children and young People, Cllr Mark Rusling, has backed the plan to pull together Dawlish School in Jesse Road, Leyton, and nearby Newport Primary in Newport Road, to form a ‘hard federation’.

Newport headteacher Prue Barnes has also overseen operations at Dawlish since the school's previous head left in November last year.

And the council is now proposing to combine the two schools under one senior management team, which would see Ms Barnes continue as head of both schools, as the arrangement has proved a success.

But parents at Dawlish Primary have criticised the proposal, claiming the distinct community identity of the school would be lost.

However, Cllr Rusling believes the move would be beneficial to all pupils.
He said: “It is important to understand that the schools are not merging and will remain as separate schools.

“The consultation is about a proposed ‘hard federation’.

“I would urge parents to engage fully with the consultation that outlines in greater detail the reasons behind the proposal and the potential benefits.

“The council supports the proposal for a hard federation between Newport and Dawlish primary schools.”

The consultation ends on July 20 and a letter from the school suggests a decision will be made the following day at a meeting of the two governing boards.

Comments (53)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

3:11pm Tue 8 Jul 14

faro0485 says...

Should have voted for someone else.
Should have voted for someone else. faro0485
  • Score: -1

11:12pm Tue 8 Jul 14

leytonoldboy2 says...

What do you mean, faro0485?
What do you mean, faro0485? leytonoldboy2
  • Score: 2

11:24pm Tue 8 Jul 14

leytonoldboy2 says...

I think you'll find that Newport parents knew nothing about it - it is the Dawlish parents who are up in arms.
I think you'll find that Newport parents knew nothing about it - it is the Dawlish parents who are up in arms. leytonoldboy2
  • Score: 17

6:10am Wed 9 Jul 14

sidestep says...

People who care about schools in Waltham Forest - not only parents and governors - should not be fooled by the Council's brushing aside of the issues. To imply that the schools will still be separate is misleading: the urge to finish off with a full merger will grow stronger as time goes by, once the executive super-head is fully entrenched in post. The schools should be left alone to serve their communities, and appropriate leadership posts recruited.
People who care about schools in Waltham Forest - not only parents and governors - should not be fooled by the Council's brushing aside of the issues. To imply that the schools will still be separate is misleading: the urge to finish off with a full merger will grow stronger as time goes by, once the executive super-head is fully entrenched in post. The schools should be left alone to serve their communities, and appropriate leadership posts recruited. sidestep
  • Score: 28

9:22am Wed 9 Jul 14

wendysarahdavis says...

As I understand it (just from acquaintances) it is the Dawlish parents who are protesting because they dislike the bullying culture and the loss of the old welcoming and co-operative approach
As I understand it (just from acquaintances) it is the Dawlish parents who are protesting because they dislike the bullying culture and the loss of the old welcoming and co-operative approach wendysarahdavis
  • Score: 35

10:23am Wed 9 Jul 14

Hutch321 says...

It should be made known that 2 Dawlish parents, curious to hear Newport's viewpoint, went to the 3pm consultation meeting at Newport School (btw Newport dismisses the children at 3.15pm!!!) but were told to leave by Lisa McIntyre (Newport Deputy Head) because she said it was only for Newport parents and Newport public. Dawlish Chair of Governors, Matt Perry said and did nothing in their defence. One parent felt so intimidated that she left but the other knew that they had a right to stay and refused to leave. Two others had turned up at the 9am meeting at Newport, only to find that by 9.05am, the meeting had been called off.
Instead of a meeting, they had an 'informal chat'. Some consultation!
In 3 school runs, 93 Dawlish parents signed a petition rejecting the hard federation proposal. We want to retain our Governing Body, which is our voice, and we want to retain control over our finances. At this stage, we are asking for a soft federation. Let's hope that the Governors listen.
It should be made known that 2 Dawlish parents, curious to hear Newport's viewpoint, went to the 3pm consultation meeting at Newport School (btw Newport dismisses the children at 3.15pm!!!) but were told to leave by Lisa McIntyre (Newport Deputy Head) because she said it was only for Newport parents and Newport public. Dawlish Chair of Governors, Matt Perry said and did nothing in their defence. One parent felt so intimidated that she left but the other knew that they had a right to stay and refused to leave. Two others had turned up at the 9am meeting at Newport, only to find that by 9.05am, the meeting had been called off. Instead of a meeting, they had an 'informal chat'. Some consultation! In 3 school runs, 93 Dawlish parents signed a petition rejecting the hard federation proposal. We want to retain our Governing Body, which is our voice, and we want to retain control over our finances. At this stage, we are asking for a soft federation. Let's hope that the Governors listen. Hutch321
  • Score: 38

11:39am Wed 9 Jul 14

runningupthathill says...

So "the arrangement has proved a success" has it? How is success measured these days? By the number of staff leaving? By the number of unhappy children? By the number of discontented parents? Large numbers in every case, I understand.
So "the arrangement has proved a success" has it? How is success measured these days? By the number of staff leaving? By the number of unhappy children? By the number of discontented parents? Large numbers in every case, I understand. runningupthathill
  • Score: 33

9:05pm Wed 9 Jul 14

a_tymvios says...

My daughter was at Newport School and because of the unwelcoming and bullying manner staff threated us we decided to move her to Dawlish School which was a welcoming and friendly environment school where my daughter was happy under the old staff at the school, now things are starting to become like Newport when we moved her due to the management.
My daughter was at Newport School and because of the unwelcoming and bullying manner staff threated us we decided to move her to Dawlish School which was a welcoming and friendly environment school where my daughter was happy under the old staff at the school, now things are starting to become like Newport when we moved her due to the management. a_tymvios
  • Score: 26

9:48pm Wed 9 Jul 14

mdj says...

A friend who has children at Dawlish realised this was going to happen the moment Prue Barnes denied that it was!
She has already set up a Gradgrind-like regime at what has been a friendly, welcoming school, and half a dozen teachers left in one day at the end of last term.
I have heard that children refer to her as Trunchbull - can anyone explain what this means?
A friend who has children at Dawlish realised this was going to happen the moment Prue Barnes denied that it was! She has already set up a Gradgrind-like regime at what has been a friendly, welcoming school, and half a dozen teachers left in one day at the end of last term. I have heard that children refer to her as Trunchbull - can anyone explain what this means? mdj
  • Score: 23

10:47pm Wed 9 Jul 14

leytonoldboy2 says...

She seems to be another one who's read "Do whatever you like - and how to get away with it". I made that up, there isn't such a book as far as I know. I know she accuses people of doing all the things she does - and no-one is brave enough to challenge it. She's got things sewn up so tight.
Trunchbull. Does it mean bully? Psychopath? Maybe someone can enlighten us.
And - yes, MDJ, Gradgrind is exactly what came to mind when I heard about it.
She seems to be another one who's read "Do whatever you like - and how to get away with it". I made that up, there isn't such a book as far as I know. I know she accuses people of doing all the things she does - and no-one is brave enough to challenge it. She's got things sewn up so tight. Trunchbull. Does it mean bully? Psychopath? Maybe someone can enlighten us. And - yes, MDJ, Gradgrind is exactly what came to mind when I heard about it. leytonoldboy2
  • Score: 17

10:56pm Wed 9 Jul 14

Hutch321 says...

Trunchbull is a horrible teacher in the Roald Dahl classic, "Matilda"
Trunchbull is a horrible teacher in the Roald Dahl classic, "Matilda" Hutch321
  • Score: 8

11:06am Thu 10 Jul 14

leytonoldboy2 says...

Ah - I remember her now! So, bully and psychopath were pretty close then?
Ah - I remember her now! So, bully and psychopath were pretty close then? leytonoldboy2
  • Score: 8

4:29pm Thu 10 Jul 14

leytonlady12345 says...

I urge the governors to listen to our voices. We need our own headteacher because we don't need another school joining Dawlish. The Newport headteacher Prue Barnes doesn't listen to us. She came to our school eight months ago but we only seen her once. How is it possible for her to be our headteacher? Since she came all the parents and the children are not happy. We used to have a freindly welcoming school now that is all gone.
I urge the governors to listen to our voices. We need our own headteacher because we don't need another school joining Dawlish. The Newport headteacher Prue Barnes doesn't listen to us. She came to our school eight months ago but we only seen her once. How is it possible for her to be our headteacher? Since she came all the parents and the children are not happy. We used to have a freindly welcoming school now that is all gone. leytonlady12345
  • Score: 28

7:23pm Thu 10 Jul 14

Hutch321 says...

What have we seen at Dawlish since Prue Barnes stepped in? Well Y2 and Y4 have had a seemingly endless succession of different teachers. Parents with children in Y4 say that the class had 3 in one week! Y2 and one Y5 class also lost their teachers. Children are very unsettled as a result and learning is bound to have been affected. Could this be the reason that the end of year assessment papers for Y3, Y4 & Y5 were THE SAME PAPERS they had already taken earlier in the year? Would certainly help to keep the results up.... The Learning Mentor was given a year group to teach full time, as was another similar member of staff, but their positions weren't replaced. No more French lessons. Classrooms sitting empty because there is no staff to use them to give additional support to the children who need it. SENCO roles removed from 2 Dawlish teachers, leaving parents waiting for months for help from Newport. One child was reassessed but 3 months later her parents were still waiting for the report. Instead of supporting Dawlish staff and maintaining the things that Ofsted found positive about it, the interim executive head, insensitively bulldozed her way through the school, even removing our fundraising plaques and letters of thanks for our community outreach work. This was in December!!! Had she already come to stay? I could go on and on but will leave that for some of the dozens of parents whose grievances have been buried so that it can regularly be announced that "there are no official complaints". People are too afraid to speak up and many have removed their children from Dawlish but those who remain must please speak up. Please.
What have we seen at Dawlish since Prue Barnes stepped in? Well Y2 and Y4 have had a seemingly endless succession of different teachers. Parents with children in Y4 say that the class had 3 in one week! Y2 and one Y5 class also lost their teachers. Children are very unsettled as a result and learning is bound to have been affected. Could this be the reason that the end of year assessment papers for Y3, Y4 & Y5 were THE SAME PAPERS they had already taken earlier in the year? Would certainly help to keep the results up.... The Learning Mentor was given a year group to teach full time, as was another similar member of staff, but their positions weren't replaced. No more French lessons. Classrooms sitting empty because there is no staff to use them to give additional support to the children who need it. SENCO roles removed from 2 Dawlish teachers, leaving parents waiting for months for help from Newport. One child was reassessed but 3 months later her parents were still waiting for the report. Instead of supporting Dawlish staff and maintaining the things that Ofsted found positive about it, the interim executive head, insensitively bulldozed her way through the school, even removing our fundraising plaques and letters of thanks for our community outreach work. This was in December!!! Had she already come to stay? I could go on and on but will leave that for some of the dozens of parents whose grievances have been buried so that it can regularly be announced that "there are no official complaints". People are too afraid to speak up and many have removed their children from Dawlish but those who remain must please speak up. Please. Hutch321
  • Score: 29

7:56pm Thu 10 Jul 14

leytonoldboy2 says...

It's disgraceful. People do need to speak up but you can understand how afraid they are. It seems that everything gets turned back on them and the victims are blamed for it all. I understand people's fear but apathy is hard to understand. The governing body should have addressed this, they are aware by now of what's going on but they seem to be pretending not to believe it. Are they all in thrall to the council as well?
It's disgraceful. People do need to speak up but you can understand how afraid they are. It seems that everything gets turned back on them and the victims are blamed for it all. I understand people's fear but apathy is hard to understand. The governing body should have addressed this, they are aware by now of what's going on but they seem to be pretending not to believe it. Are they all in thrall to the council as well? leytonoldboy2
  • Score: 20

8:10pm Thu 10 Jul 14

Hutch321 says...

I also feel sorry for the parents who removed their children from Newport to escape Prue Barnes' regime, only to find that she's turned her attention to Dawlish. Having spoken to a few of them, I know that they are in utter despair. Where do they go now? The exodus is in full force but we are running out of options. How many more of our children can Gwyn Jones Primary accommodate?
I also feel sorry for the parents who removed their children from Newport to escape Prue Barnes' regime, only to find that she's turned her attention to Dawlish. Having spoken to a few of them, I know that they are in utter despair. Where do they go now? The exodus is in full force but we are running out of options. How many more of our children can Gwyn Jones Primary accommodate? Hutch321
  • Score: 20

10:54am Fri 11 Jul 14

Nicola kemp says...

leytonoldboy2 wrote:
It's disgraceful. People do need to speak up but you can understand how afraid they are. It seems that everything gets turned back on them and the victims are blamed for it all. I understand people's fear but apathy is hard to understand. The governing body should have addressed this, they are aware by now of what's going on but they seem to be pretending not to believe it. Are they all in thrall to the council as well?
Altho I do not live in Leyton anymore, I am very disturbed that they are trying to merge Dawlish school and Newport school.
Me, my sisters and brother all went to Dawlish school and found it a very welcoming and warm school to be at. I feel very strongly that this merger will destroy all the hard work that has been put into it making it a brilliant school.
I hear that due to a couple of bad years the school has gone down hill. Well some times things happen that are out of our hands, but there is no need to condemn it for this. Please do not do this as we will lose that was and I'm sure still can be a school that will and can give young children a brilliant start in education. Children need to nurtured thru school, NOT BULLIED thru school.
[quote][p][bold]leytonoldboy2[/bold] wrote: It's disgraceful. People do need to speak up but you can understand how afraid they are. It seems that everything gets turned back on them and the victims are blamed for it all. I understand people's fear but apathy is hard to understand. The governing body should have addressed this, they are aware by now of what's going on but they seem to be pretending not to believe it. Are they all in thrall to the council as well?[/p][/quote]Altho I do not live in Leyton anymore, I am very disturbed that they are trying to merge Dawlish school and Newport school. Me, my sisters and brother all went to Dawlish school and found it a very welcoming and warm school to be at. I feel very strongly that this merger will destroy all the hard work that has been put into it making it a brilliant school. I hear that due to a couple of bad years the school has gone down hill. Well some times things happen that are out of our hands, but there is no need to condemn it for this. Please do not do this as we will lose that was and I'm sure still can be a school that will and can give young children a brilliant start in education. Children need to nurtured thru school, NOT BULLIED thru school. Nicola kemp
  • Score: 10

1:10pm Fri 11 Jul 14

mdj says...

Going online to try and find out more background to this story, this came up:
'The site newportschool.org.uk has been disabled. Please contact support.'

Why might that be?
Going online to try and find out more background to this story, this came up: 'The site newportschool.org.uk has been disabled. Please contact support.' Why might that be? mdj
  • Score: 11

1:51pm Fri 11 Jul 14

leytonoldboy2 says...

http://www.newportth
elatest.org.uk/
This says the consultation period ends 23rd July. Dawlsih were told Sunday 20th. The governors meet on Monday 21st so Newport parents could well miss the boat. Also, how can the responses possibly be considered in the short time they have to look at them. The whole process is flawed with misinformation, lack of accessibility. Surely it can't go ahead, can it?
MDJ - their proper website has been 'inactive' for about a week.
http://www.newportth elatest.org.uk/ This says the consultation period ends 23rd July. Dawlsih were told Sunday 20th. The governors meet on Monday 21st so Newport parents could well miss the boat. Also, how can the responses possibly be considered in the short time they have to look at them. The whole process is flawed with misinformation, lack of accessibility. Surely it can't go ahead, can it? MDJ - their proper website has been 'inactive' for about a week. leytonoldboy2
  • Score: 12

1:57pm Fri 11 Jul 14

leytonoldboy2 says...

Forgot to point out also that although it appears that there is a consultation document online - there is not. If you click on that link you also get to something 'inactive'.
Forgot to point out also that although it appears that there is a consultation document online - there is not. If you click on that link you also get to something 'inactive'. leytonoldboy2
  • Score: 13

2:23pm Fri 11 Jul 14

Kainat21 says...

This surely cannot be the DAwlish primary school that myself and my 4 older brothers and sisters attended. Negative comments about Dawlish? A need to change it? A need for Newport to 'save' us? I say 'us' wih great confidence. Why? Because DAwlish school and teachers like Mike Reader are the ones who allowe me to become the person I am today. We are a family of teachers and lecturers and this is because of the values that were taught to us by Dawlish. Schemes in schools that have to be labelled nowadays were just the standard way of teaching when I was at Dawlish so many years ago. Every child DID matter, and Dawlish pushed us academically but also allowed us to enter the big wide world wit the confidence and knowledge to help us become responsible adult and good human beings. The community feel of the school when I was there is what will be lost if we decide that Newport and daish should be one.
I felt safe at Dawlish, and I always knew that even after leaving Dawlish treated me as a part of their family,allowing me to do my work reliance tbere,happily providing me with references 10 years after leaving. Surely that is as important as anything else ? Creating rounded individuals who succeed in life,due to the role models they meet at schools like Dawlish primary school.
This surely cannot be the DAwlish primary school that myself and my 4 older brothers and sisters attended. Negative comments about Dawlish? A need to change it? A need for Newport to 'save' us? I say 'us' wih great confidence. Why? Because DAwlish school and teachers like Mike Reader are the ones who allowe me to become the person I am today. We are a family of teachers and lecturers and this is because of the values that were taught to us by Dawlish. Schemes in schools that have to be labelled nowadays were just the standard way of teaching when I was at Dawlish so many years ago. Every child DID matter, and Dawlish pushed us academically but also allowed us to enter the big wide world wit the confidence and knowledge to help us become responsible adult and good human beings. The community feel of the school when I was there is what will be lost if we decide that Newport and daish should be one. I felt safe at Dawlish, and I always knew that even after leaving Dawlish treated me as a part of their family,allowing me to do my work reliance tbere,happily providing me with references 10 years after leaving. Surely that is as important as anything else ? Creating rounded individuals who succeed in life,due to the role models they meet at schools like Dawlish primary school. Kainat21
  • Score: 15

4:02pm Fri 11 Jul 14

Hutch321 says...

Have been wondering why the council advised the Governing Body at Dawlish to not advertise for a new Headteacher following Mike Reader's resignation last November. Also wondering why, knowing that Ofsted had judged Dawlish to be 'good' just the year before, the Governing Body would act on said advice. The school missed floor targets, which is extremely easy to do in a one form entry school where every child is worth over 3% on the Sats table and only 1% in a 3 form entry school. However Dawlish was great in so many other areas and should have been offered help, not denied the chance to stand on our own two feet. A parent who teaches at another school tells me that they were in trouble 18 months ago and we're recently judged outstanding. That was without any type of federation. The official ine from the Governors is that it is expensive to advertise for a Headteacher and in any case, no-one would have applied for the post! How do they know unless they try? A long-serving deputy may have wanted to join is as Head. Excuses, excuses, excuses. Smacks of a set-up in my opinion.
Have been wondering why the council advised the Governing Body at Dawlish to not advertise for a new Headteacher following Mike Reader's resignation last November. Also wondering why, knowing that Ofsted had judged Dawlish to be 'good' just the year before, the Governing Body would act on said advice. The school missed floor targets, which is extremely easy to do in a one form entry school where every child is worth over 3% on the Sats table and only 1% in a 3 form entry school. However Dawlish was great in so many other areas and should have been offered help, not denied the chance to stand on our own two feet. A parent who teaches at another school tells me that they were in trouble 18 months ago and we're recently judged outstanding. That was without any type of federation. The official ine from the Governors is that it is expensive to advertise for a Headteacher and in any case, no-one would have applied for the post! How do they know unless they try? A long-serving deputy may have wanted to join is as Head. Excuses, excuses, excuses. Smacks of a set-up in my opinion. Hutch321
  • Score: 11

4:07pm Fri 11 Jul 14

Hutch321 says...

Another point: "the arrangement has proved a success". Why is this not in speech marks in the article? It looks like a statement of fact, but reading the comments, I would say that many people are disputing that. Only those affected by it can make that comment.
Another point: "the arrangement has proved a success". Why is this not in speech marks in the article? It looks like a statement of fact, but reading the comments, I would say that many people are disputing that. Only those affected by it can make that comment. Hutch321
  • Score: 12

4:33pm Fri 11 Jul 14

leytonoldboy2 says...

Hutch321 wrote:
Another point: "the arrangement has proved a success". Why is this not in speech marks in the article? It looks like a statement of fact, but reading the comments, I would say that many people are disputing that. Only those affected by it can make that comment.
I was just thinking that this must have come from the council or someone else with an interest in it happening. Self praise is no recommendation and I think most parents, children and staff consider it's been a disaster since it's been run by Newport. Staff and kids are leaving in droves. It seems that every aspect of the old school has been changed and there's no way some of the changes can be justified by educational reasons. This has to be about someone marking their territory and intimidating people. Of course those who object to the changes immediately identify themselves as the ones to target - the ones to be got rid of.
[quote][p][bold]Hutch321[/bold] wrote: Another point: "the arrangement has proved a success". Why is this not in speech marks in the article? It looks like a statement of fact, but reading the comments, I would say that many people are disputing that. Only those affected by it can make that comment.[/p][/quote]I was just thinking that this must have come from the council or someone else with an interest in it happening. Self praise is no recommendation and I think most parents, children and staff consider it's been a disaster since it's been run by Newport. Staff and kids are leaving in droves. It seems that every aspect of the old school has been changed and there's no way some of the changes can be justified by educational reasons. This has to be about someone marking their territory and intimidating people. Of course those who object to the changes immediately identify themselves as the ones to target - the ones to be got rid of. leytonoldboy2
  • Score: 11

4:50pm Fri 11 Jul 14

Hutch321 says...

I agree wholeheartedly, leytonoldboy2. We all love success and if Prue Barnes' input had been great, we would have welcomed her with open arms. We would be fools not to. The Dawlish Governing Body and the Council should remove their self-imposed blinkers and start to ask questions about this mass exodus.
I agree wholeheartedly, leytonoldboy2. We all love success and if Prue Barnes' input had been great, we would have welcomed her with open arms. We would be fools not to. The Dawlish Governing Body and the Council should remove their self-imposed blinkers and start to ask questions about this mass exodus. Hutch321
  • Score: 13

9:59pm Fri 11 Jul 14

mdj says...

I found today that in addition to the six staff who left last term another eight are leaving very shortly.
This must be unprecedented, surely?
What kind of management could produce such a reaction?

How can the Council not comment on this extraordinary situation?
I found today that in addition to the six staff who left last term another eight are leaving very shortly. This must be unprecedented, surely? What kind of management could produce such a reaction? How can the Council not comment on this extraordinary situation? mdj
  • Score: 12

9:51am Sat 12 Jul 14

runningupthathill says...

mdj wrote:
I found today that in addition to the six staff who left last term another eight are leaving very shortly.
This must be unprecedented, surely?
What kind of management could produce such a reaction?

How can the Council not comment on this extraordinary situation?
By the end of term, all but one of the teaching staff who were there in November will have gone, along with many teaching assistants and some teachers who only started this year. Such is the impact of the interim management apparently so beloved by Waltham Forest Council.
[quote][p][bold]mdj[/bold] wrote: I found today that in addition to the six staff who left last term another eight are leaving very shortly. This must be unprecedented, surely? What kind of management could produce such a reaction? How can the Council not comment on this extraordinary situation?[/p][/quote]By the end of term, all but one of the teaching staff who were there in November will have gone, along with many teaching assistants and some teachers who only started this year. Such is the impact of the interim management apparently so beloved by Waltham Forest Council. runningupthathill
  • Score: 11

9:54am Sat 12 Jul 14

leytonoldboy2 says...

I expect she's being congratulated by the council. She was brought here to do exactly this, wasn't she/ They knew what they were getting.
I expect she's being congratulated by the council. She was brought here to do exactly this, wasn't she/ They knew what they were getting. leytonoldboy2
  • Score: 5

4:45pm Sat 12 Jul 14

mdj says...

Looked at another way, leytonoldboy2, you could get 150 flats on the Dawlish site.
Looked at another way, leytonoldboy2, you could get 150 flats on the Dawlish site. mdj
  • Score: 3

7:48pm Sat 12 Jul 14

Eleanore says...

runningupthathill wrote:
mdj wrote:
I found today that in addition to the six staff who left last term another eight are leaving very shortly.
This must be unprecedented, surely?
What kind of management could produce such a reaction?

How can the Council not comment on this extraordinary situation?
By the end of term, all but one of the teaching staff who were there in November will have gone, along with many teaching assistants and some teachers who only started this year. Such is the impact of the interim management apparently so beloved by Waltham Forest Council.
This is so appalling. I have a son in Reception and knew that some staff had left, but not on this scale. I know there are those who might think that this is an inevitable reaction to new management, but it does not have to be. In my own job there have been radical changes to middle and senior management, with some very popular figures leaving in a short space of time, but 90% of ground level staff have stayed because the new managers have listened to staff, have been fair and keen to improve the organization as a whole. You have to wonder what is going on at Dawlish for this max exodus to occur. The school is going to be unrecognizable next year. It makes me so sad; we were so relieved when our son got into Dawlish. We will be making our feelings clear when we return the consultation document, but there is a definite feeling that the decision has already been made.
[quote][p][bold]runningupthathill[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]mdj[/bold] wrote: I found today that in addition to the six staff who left last term another eight are leaving very shortly. This must be unprecedented, surely? What kind of management could produce such a reaction? How can the Council not comment on this extraordinary situation?[/p][/quote]By the end of term, all but one of the teaching staff who were there in November will have gone, along with many teaching assistants and some teachers who only started this year. Such is the impact of the interim management apparently so beloved by Waltham Forest Council.[/p][/quote]This is so appalling. I have a son in Reception and knew that some staff had left, but not on this scale. I know there are those who might think that this is an inevitable reaction to new management, but it does not have to be. In my own job there have been radical changes to middle and senior management, with some very popular figures leaving in a short space of time, but 90% of ground level staff have stayed because the new managers have listened to staff, have been fair and keen to improve the organization as a whole. You have to wonder what is going on at Dawlish for this max exodus to occur. The school is going to be unrecognizable next year. It makes me so sad; we were so relieved when our son got into Dawlish. We will be making our feelings clear when we return the consultation document, but there is a definite feeling that the decision has already been made. Eleanore
  • Score: 11

4:55pm Mon 14 Jul 14

Hutch321 says...

The school reports have been issued at Dawlish. The children were asked to write a comment about their learning and about how much fun they have had this year, for inclusion in their individual report. Statements about them only seeing Prue Barnes twice in 8.5 months, and about their dismay that 8 teachers left between November and Easter were deleted and therefore not included in the reports. My child's teacher told the class not to be disappointed that their writing had been edited, explaining that such comments had been deemed inappropriate. Wow! Censoring the children too! Who can help us, please, before it's too late?
The school reports have been issued at Dawlish. The children were asked to write a comment about their learning and about how much fun they have had this year, for inclusion in their individual report. Statements about them only seeing Prue Barnes twice in 8.5 months, and about their dismay that 8 teachers left between November and Easter were deleted and therefore not included in the reports. My child's teacher told the class not to be disappointed that their writing had been edited, explaining that such comments had been deemed inappropriate. Wow! Censoring the children too! Who can help us, please, before it's too late? Hutch321
  • Score: 10

5:06pm Mon 14 Jul 14

leytonoldboy2 says...

There are a few words - 'inappropriate' 'negative', 'bullying' are examples that management constantly use against the whole Dawlish community - children, parents and staff. When you hear the details of what's happened in these cases it's very difficult to see how they're being applied. Yet - that is exactly what the management is doing. Even asking simple questions has been known to be deemed all of these things when they are questions they are unable or unwilling to answer.
DAWLISH DOES NEED HELP.
There are a few words - 'inappropriate' 'negative', 'bullying' are examples that management constantly use against the whole Dawlish community - children, parents and staff. When you hear the details of what's happened in these cases it's very difficult to see how they're being applied. Yet - that is exactly what the management is doing. Even asking simple questions has been known to be deemed all of these things when they are questions they are unable or unwilling to answer. DAWLISH DOES NEED HELP. leytonoldboy2
  • Score: 8

5:41pm Mon 14 Jul 14

mdj says...

' My child's teacher told the class not to be disappointed that their writing had been edited, explaining that such comments had been deemed inappropriate. '

If this feedback from the children is part of the evidence that Ofsted uses for assessing a school, then falsification of evidence is going on.
This is Stalinist, bullying, and all too typical of this council's way of marking its own homework.
Surely there are official channels outside this borough that can be brought in?
This council will ignore local peoples' views with arrogance, unless it knows that higher-ups are watching.
' My child's teacher told the class not to be disappointed that their writing had been edited, explaining that such comments had been deemed inappropriate. ' If this feedback from the children is part of the evidence that Ofsted uses for assessing a school, then falsification of evidence is going on. This is Stalinist, bullying, and all too typical of this council's way of marking its own homework. Surely there are official channels outside this borough that can be brought in? This council will ignore local peoples' views with arrogance, unless it knows that higher-ups are watching. mdj
  • Score: 7

11:58pm Mon 14 Jul 14

JeremyBentham says...

leytonoldboy2 wrote:
I expect she's being congratulated by the council. She was brought here to do exactly this, wasn't she/ They knew what they were getting.
I really can't understand how Prue Barnes and the rest can do all this without some sense of guilt or responsibility setting in. You would think having to silence the views of school children in this way would set off some alarm bells, not to mention the mass exodus and everything else.

The thing that frustrates me the most is that, whilst I think you're right leytonoldboy, that Prue Barnes has been sent to do exactly this, I can never get my head around the motivations of these people. Anyone who gets to be a head teacher MUST have, at some point, surely, SURELY thought it would be quite a nice thing to actually help teachers teach kids! What happens between that thought and this? I suppose a bit of power and some financial incentives will go a long way.
[quote][p][bold]leytonoldboy2[/bold] wrote: I expect she's being congratulated by the council. She was brought here to do exactly this, wasn't she/ They knew what they were getting.[/p][/quote]I really can't understand how Prue Barnes and the rest can do all this without some sense of guilt or responsibility setting in. You would think having to silence the views of school children in this way would set off some alarm bells, not to mention the mass exodus and everything else. The thing that frustrates me the most is that, whilst I think you're right leytonoldboy, that Prue Barnes has been sent to do exactly this, I can never get my head around the motivations of these people. Anyone who gets to be a head teacher MUST have, at some point, surely, SURELY thought it would be quite a nice thing to actually help teachers teach kids! What happens between that thought and this? I suppose a bit of power and some financial incentives will go a long way. JeremyBentham
  • Score: 5

8:09pm Tue 15 Jul 14

Hutch321 says...

The BBC has today reported on another example of Prue Barnes' insensitive bedside manner: www.bbc.co.uk/news/u
k-England-London-282
93086
The BBC has today reported on another example of Prue Barnes' insensitive bedside manner: www.bbc.co.uk/news/u k-England-London-282 93086 Hutch321
  • Score: 7

11:17pm Wed 16 Jul 14

errolthesquirrel says...

The biggest issue I have with this whole situation is: where has all the history and character of Dawlish gone? I am an ex-student and my mother teaches at the school (although she is joining the many other staff in leaving next week), and on top of all the stress this new 'management' has caused her, I was so disappointed and really quite upset when I was told in december that the place I developed in from the age of four was having some sort of 'makeover'. I have only been to the school once briefly since Prue Barnes was appointed and quite frankly the only reason I haven't been back is that I feel intimidated by the thought that it simply is NOT the school I love and remember, with a strong feeling of a community in itself that cares for all pupils, teachers, assistant staff and parents! I was not welcomed with open arms when I arrived as I would have expected, and I noticed no pictures of pupils on the walls. A great memory of being at Dawlish school was the fact that we celebrated who we were individually and as a family, even with seemingly subtle things like a picture of every student smiling in one big frame near the reception, and various trophies that had been awarded to the school. Bearing in mind that this quick trip was only to collect my mum's keys and I felt I was entering such an alien atmosphere, I now wait at the end of the street if I need to visit my mother at her workplace, because I feel almost as if I might be shoo'd away if I am seen waiting at the gates without entering, as a bad spot that isn't remembered by the people that now rule my primary school. I just wonder, if as a fifteen year old I cannot bring myself to walk into Dawlish, how must the pupils and staff feel every weekday, having to believe that this 'has been a success'? I have a serious concern for the welfare of Dawlish children, who should be part of the family I remember.
The biggest issue I have with this whole situation is: where has all the history and character of Dawlish gone? I am an ex-student and my mother teaches at the school (although she is joining the many other staff in leaving next week), and on top of all the stress this new 'management' has caused her, I was so disappointed and really quite upset when I was told in december that the place I developed in from the age of four was having some sort of 'makeover'. I have only been to the school once briefly since Prue Barnes was appointed and quite frankly the only reason I haven't been back is that I feel intimidated by the thought that it simply is NOT the school I love and remember, with a strong feeling of a community in itself that cares for all pupils, teachers, assistant staff and parents! I was not welcomed with open arms when I arrived as I would have expected, and I noticed no pictures of pupils on the walls. A great memory of being at Dawlish school was the fact that we celebrated who we were individually and as a family, even with seemingly subtle things like a picture of every student smiling in one big frame near the reception, and various trophies that had been awarded to the school. Bearing in mind that this quick trip was only to collect my mum's keys and I felt I was entering such an alien atmosphere, I now wait at the end of the street if I need to visit my mother at her workplace, because I feel almost as if I might be shoo'd away if I am seen waiting at the gates without entering, as a bad spot that isn't remembered by the people that now rule my primary school. I just wonder, if as a fifteen year old I cannot bring myself to walk into Dawlish, how must the pupils and staff feel every weekday, having to believe that this 'has been a success'? I have a serious concern for the welfare of Dawlish children, who should be part of the family I remember. errolthesquirrel
  • Score: 15

4:47pm Fri 18 Jul 14

Hutch321 says...

The comments about this subject have initiated an unusual intervention by Cate Duffy from Education Improvement Services in the form of a letter home to parents of Dawlish pupils. I am still trying to digest the contents of this letter but want to comment on 2 things that have made my blood boil. "The Council believes that all children in Waltham Forest are entitled to a high quality education that enables them to lead happy and successful lives." , Cate writes. Does she think that anyone else would disagree with this sentiment? We also believe that al children in our borough (and the world over) are entitled to a happy school life. Bullying, intimidation, suppressing freedom of expression, threats, covering up problems... Does Cate not think that if children, teachers and parents have to face any of these then they are not leading happy lives? Cate also says: "it is our view that the level of personal comment in the local paper is therefore both inaccurate and unjustified." How can she make this statement without coming to investigate? Are we all liars ? Have we been exaggerating? Does the Council not have a Duty of Care to seek out the truth? Cate, please don't turn a blind eye.
The comments about this subject have initiated an unusual intervention by Cate Duffy from Education Improvement Services in the form of a letter home to parents of Dawlish pupils. I am still trying to digest the contents of this letter but want to comment on 2 things that have made my blood boil. "The Council believes that all children in Waltham Forest are entitled to a high quality education that enables them to lead happy and successful lives." , Cate writes. Does she think that anyone else would disagree with this sentiment? We also believe that al children in our borough (and the world over) are entitled to a happy school life. Bullying, intimidation, suppressing freedom of expression, threats, covering up problems... Does Cate not think that if children, teachers and parents have to face any of these then they are not leading happy lives? Cate also says: "it is our view that the level of personal comment in the local paper is therefore both inaccurate and unjustified." How can she make this statement without coming to investigate? Are we all liars ? Have we been exaggerating? Does the Council not have a Duty of Care to seek out the truth? Cate, please don't turn a blind eye. Hutch321
  • Score: 11

4:54pm Fri 18 Jul 14

leytonoldboy2 says...

They're really scraping the barrel now - suddenly the big issue when the school was taken over was SAFEGUARDING! Of course - that's how to get the parents onside - tell them their children weren't safe! I don't remember that being given as a reason before but suddenly it is. So for two months the paperwork was not in place - does that mean it couldn't be put in place? Are they saying all those years of experience of teachers and support staff were not enough to protect the kids? It's another case of 'By the way - we've also got this on you! Haha' - a practice they've been doing to individuals but now they're doing it to the whole institution. If it was a real concern why are we only just hearing about it?
They're really scraping the barrel now - suddenly the big issue when the school was taken over was SAFEGUARDING! Of course - that's how to get the parents onside - tell them their children weren't safe! I don't remember that being given as a reason before but suddenly it is. So for two months the paperwork was not in place - does that mean it couldn't be put in place? Are they saying all those years of experience of teachers and support staff were not enough to protect the kids? It's another case of 'By the way - we've also got this on you! Haha' - a practice they've been doing to individuals but now they're doing it to the whole institution. If it was a real concern why are we only just hearing about it? leytonoldboy2
  • Score: 8

6:05pm Fri 18 Jul 14

runningupthathill says...

The classic carrot and stick from Cate Duffy. If you do what we want, your children will be safer and make better progress. If you don't, we'll turn Dawlish into an academy. Strange that it was not possible to fully inform parents by sending a full explanation of the federation proposals to all families to begin with, but it is possible to send out a letter from School Improvement Services to all parents now public opinion is not going as expected. How about listening to what parents are saying?
The classic carrot and stick from Cate Duffy. If you do what we want, your children will be safer and make better progress. If you don't, we'll turn Dawlish into an academy. Strange that it was not possible to fully inform parents by sending a full explanation of the federation proposals to all families to begin with, but it is possible to send out a letter from School Improvement Services to all parents now public opinion is not going as expected. How about listening to what parents are saying? runningupthathill
  • Score: 9

6:20pm Fri 18 Jul 14

leytonoldboy2 says...

If we're talking safeguarding - here's an interesting little story. One of the changes implemented by the new leadership was to get rid of the keypad entry system on the main entrance, presuming I suppose that the one on the gate was enough.
A little while ago a member of staff got quite a shock when getting playground equipment from a shed in the playground - there was a man asleep in there. He was a polite, apologetic homeless man who had managed to break in to shelter for the night. What if he hadn't been only wanting somewhere to kip? Presumably by then they had all the safeguarding paperwork in place. Had they done a risk assessment before removing the entry system? Have they reviewed it? Well - the entry system has not been reinstated - what they did was to lock the carpark to staff - during the day - round the back of the building. Does that make sense to anyone?
If we're talking safeguarding - here's an interesting little story. One of the changes implemented by the new leadership was to get rid of the keypad entry system on the main entrance, presuming I suppose that the one on the gate was enough. A little while ago a member of staff got quite a shock when getting playground equipment from a shed in the playground - there was a man asleep in there. He was a polite, apologetic homeless man who had managed to break in to shelter for the night. What if he hadn't been only wanting somewhere to kip? Presumably by then they had all the safeguarding paperwork in place. Had they done a risk assessment before removing the entry system? Have they reviewed it? Well - the entry system has not been reinstated - what they did was to lock the carpark to staff - during the day - round the back of the building. Does that make sense to anyone? leytonoldboy2
  • Score: 8

12:57am Sat 19 Jul 14

radio123 says...

One day, my mum told me to get my sister from school. When I came in I was so shocked about the way the school has changed. I left five years ago and now there is a big difference. I thought I was in a new school. When I used to go to school, I used to feel safe. I feel sorry for the kids who are here now as they did not have a good time in Dawlish as I did. In my time we used the other gate in Jesse Road. There was a barrier and yellow zig-zag lines. Now I've seen children walking into the roads at home-time using narrow and crowded pavements. The parents and kids are really frustrated! I came home asking my mum what happened to my old school. My mum told me Newport school is in charge and that they can do whatever they wish. There is a rude headteacher who never listens. This new management ruined the school and I hope the hard federation will be withdrawn as Dawlish doesn't need this dictator coming from nowhere.
One day, my mum told me to get my sister from school. When I came in I was so shocked about the way the school has changed. I left five years ago and now there is a big difference. I thought I was in a new school. When I used to go to school, I used to feel safe. I feel sorry for the kids who are here now as they did not have a good time in Dawlish as I did. In my time we used the other gate in Jesse Road. There was a barrier and yellow zig-zag lines. Now I've seen children walking into the roads at home-time using narrow and crowded pavements. The parents and kids are really frustrated! I came home asking my mum what happened to my old school. My mum told me Newport school is in charge and that they can do whatever they wish. There is a rude headteacher who never listens. This new management ruined the school and I hope the hard federation will be withdrawn as Dawlish doesn't need this dictator coming from nowhere. radio123
  • Score: 10

1:46pm Mon 21 Jul 14

EastisEast says...

This is not the Prue Barnes and team that I recognise from Newport, which I know to be a happy and successful school with a zero tolerance of bullying from anyone, let alone the Head. All of the staff seem to be 100% behind the leadership team there; and the children doing very well according to the latest results, and their recent play "Pirates of the Curry Bean" was brilliant, with the children showing great confidence and enjoyment. Not sure a production like that would have evolved from a "regime" as described here. By the personal nature of a lot of the comments, I can only assume they were written by people with a personal agenda or axe to grind.

However I do agree with "Running" that the parents should have been told at an earlier stage how badly the school was failing, and given the full picture of why change is necessary, and what options the council has.
This is not the Prue Barnes and team that I recognise from Newport, which I know to be a happy and successful school with a zero tolerance of bullying from anyone, let alone the Head. All of the staff seem to be 100% behind the leadership team there; and the children doing very well according to the latest results, and their recent play "Pirates of the Curry Bean" was brilliant, with the children showing great confidence and enjoyment. Not sure a production like that would have evolved from a "regime" as described here. By the personal nature of a lot of the comments, I can only assume they were written by people with a personal agenda or axe to grind. However I do agree with "Running" that the parents should have been told at an earlier stage how badly the school was failing, and given the full picture of why change is necessary, and what options the council has. EastisEast
  • Score: 0

1:46pm Mon 21 Jul 14

EastisEast says...

This is not the Prue Barnes and team that I recognise from Newport, which by and large, I know to be a happy and successful school with a zero tolerance of bullying from anyone, let alone the Head. All of the staff seem to be 100% behind the leadership team there; and the children doing well according to the latest results, and their recent play "Pirates of the Curry Bean" was brilliant, with the children showing great confidence and enjoyment. Not sure a production like that would have evolved from a "regime" as described here.

However I do agree with "Running" that the parents should have been told at an earlier stage how badly the school was failing, and given the full picture of why change is necessary, and what options the council had.
This is not the Prue Barnes and team that I recognise from Newport, which by and large, I know to be a happy and successful school with a zero tolerance of bullying from anyone, let alone the Head. All of the staff seem to be 100% behind the leadership team there; and the children doing well according to the latest results, and their recent play "Pirates of the Curry Bean" was brilliant, with the children showing great confidence and enjoyment. Not sure a production like that would have evolved from a "regime" as described here. However I do agree with "Running" that the parents should have been told at an earlier stage how badly the school was failing, and given the full picture of why change is necessary, and what options the council had. EastisEast
  • Score: 1

8:28pm Mon 21 Jul 14

Hutch321 says...

Wouldn't it be a good idea for the someone with greater authority than the Council and an independent stance to visit both Newport and Dawlish to try to uncover the truth? Eastiseast seems to have had a good experience but that is not the testimony of so many parents and teachers. I've said it before and I'll say it again: to simply dismiss accusations and concerns is dangerous. This has been the subject of many a debate in the media in recent years. When will we learn to stop ignoring the voice of those who feel suppressed? An independent investigation is called for.
Wouldn't it be a good idea for the someone with greater authority than the Council and an independent stance to visit both Newport and Dawlish to try to uncover the truth? Eastiseast seems to have had a good experience but that is not the testimony of so many parents and teachers. I've said it before and I'll say it again: to simply dismiss accusations and concerns is dangerous. This has been the subject of many a debate in the media in recent years. When will we learn to stop ignoring the voice of those who feel suppressed? An independent investigation is called for. Hutch321
  • Score: 12

10:04am Tue 22 Jul 14

runningupthathill says...

EastisEast wrote:
This is not the Prue Barnes and team that I recognise from Newport, which I know to be a happy and successful school with a zero tolerance of bullying from anyone, let alone the Head. All of the staff seem to be 100% behind the leadership team there; and the children doing very well according to the latest results, and their recent play "Pirates of the Curry Bean" was brilliant, with the children showing great confidence and enjoyment. Not sure a production like that would have evolved from a "regime" as described here. By the personal nature of a lot of the comments, I can only assume they were written by people with a personal agenda or axe to grind.

However I do agree with "Running" that the parents should have been told at an earlier stage how badly the school was failing, and given the full picture of why change is necessary, and what options the council has.
EastisEast says... "By the personal nature of a lot of the comments, I can only assume they were written by people with a personal agenda or axe to grind."

The truth is that all but one of the teachers who were at Dawlish when Mr Reader left have now gone; many parents are upset about the new regime, feeling unwelcomed, unsupported and intimidated; many children have been anxious and upset. Now you may say change always upsets people - "you can't make an omelette without breaking eggs," etc. - but you must be completely bemused as to why the wonderful leadership team you describe have not managed change more skilfully at Dawlish and kept everyone on-side. After all, a school is not an omelette and children are not eggs to be broken.
I wonder why you doubt the sincerity of the people who have made comments here. Do you have some sort of "personal agenda" yourself?
[quote][p][bold]EastisEast[/bold] wrote: This is not the Prue Barnes and team that I recognise from Newport, which I know to be a happy and successful school with a zero tolerance of bullying from anyone, let alone the Head. All of the staff seem to be 100% behind the leadership team there; and the children doing very well according to the latest results, and their recent play "Pirates of the Curry Bean" was brilliant, with the children showing great confidence and enjoyment. Not sure a production like that would have evolved from a "regime" as described here. By the personal nature of a lot of the comments, I can only assume they were written by people with a personal agenda or axe to grind. However I do agree with "Running" that the parents should have been told at an earlier stage how badly the school was failing, and given the full picture of why change is necessary, and what options the council has.[/p][/quote]EastisEast says... "By the personal nature of a lot of the comments, I can only assume they were written by people with a personal agenda or axe to grind." The truth is that all but one of the teachers who were at Dawlish when Mr Reader left have now gone; many parents are upset about the new regime, feeling unwelcomed, unsupported and intimidated; many children have been anxious and upset. Now you may say change always upsets people - "you can't make an omelette without breaking eggs," etc. - but you must be completely bemused as to why the wonderful leadership team you describe have not managed change more skilfully at Dawlish and kept everyone on-side. After all, a school is not an omelette and children are not eggs to be broken. I wonder why you doubt the sincerity of the people who have made comments here. Do you have some sort of "personal agenda" yourself? runningupthathill
  • Score: 13

11:00pm Tue 22 Jul 14

TeacherForLife says...

As a member of the Newport Community, I would like to offer my own opinion as way of balance. Firstly, don't confuse high expectations for being a bully. In everything that the staff and management of Newport do, the children come first. Always. We want the children in our care to be successful, independent and happy learners, who leave our school with the brightest future possible. This year, 99% of our year 6 leavers achieved Level 4 or higher (around 78% level 5 or higher), so this might suggest that the staff and management are doing something right. Ofsted has rated the school 'outstanding' because of the achievement that the pupils make. They also gave the rating because in the lessons observed, all teaching was either good or outstanding. But importantly, they also gave the rating because they judged the school management to be outstanding. The 'bully' that others are denegrating, is the reason I joined the school. Prue's belief that every child has the right to a high class education regardless of where they come from or how much money they have, is the reason she remains in state education. Children and their futures is the driving force behind everything that she does. To question that, is unfair to her and the children at Newport.
Does she run a tight ship? Of course she does. She took a failing school and turned it round into an outstanding one. Did people leave? Yes, but only because they didn't share the same vision or they had to work harder.
The comments above all discuss the community feel of Dawlish, which is understandable, it is something to cherish in London. But there is very little comment about the level of education that the students of Dawlish are curently leaving with. When people state that they are not achieving floor targets, what you are saying (in the case of Dawlish) is that 52% of the year 6 children are not reaching government expectation. That's roughly 16 children who are not adequately ready for the next level of education. 16 children who will struggle through their secondary schooling and may not achieve their true potential. That is when it does become an issue of safe-guarding because the school is failing to give the children the future they deserve. Which is why the council has stepped in and offered a solution.
It may not be the solution that some seek, and that is why it has gone to consultation. The parents and staff of Newport received written notification about the consultation process and to imply that the school has disabled the website on purpose is non-sensical.
School mergers are fraught with emotion, but name calling and insinuations are no way to deal with the issue.
As a member of the Newport Community, I would like to offer my own opinion as way of balance. Firstly, don't confuse high expectations for being a bully. In everything that the staff and management of Newport do, the children come first. Always. We want the children in our care to be successful, independent and happy learners, who leave our school with the brightest future possible. This year, 99% of our year 6 leavers achieved Level 4 or higher (around 78% level 5 or higher), so this might suggest that the staff and management are doing something right. Ofsted has rated the school 'outstanding' because of the achievement that the pupils make. They also gave the rating because in the lessons observed, all teaching was either good or outstanding. But importantly, they also gave the rating because they judged the school management to be outstanding. The 'bully' that others are denegrating, is the reason I joined the school. Prue's belief that every child has the right to a high class education regardless of where they come from or how much money they have, is the reason she remains in state education. Children and their futures is the driving force behind everything that she does. To question that, is unfair to her and the children at Newport. Does she run a tight ship? Of course she does. She took a failing school and turned it round into an outstanding one. Did people leave? Yes, but only because they didn't share the same vision or they had to work harder. The comments above all discuss the community feel of Dawlish, which is understandable, it is something to cherish in London. But there is very little comment about the level of education that the students of Dawlish are curently leaving with. When people state that they are not achieving floor targets, what you are saying (in the case of Dawlish) is that 52% of the year 6 children are not reaching government expectation. That's roughly 16 children who are not adequately ready for the next level of education. 16 children who will struggle through their secondary schooling and may not achieve their true potential. That is when it does become an issue of safe-guarding because the school is failing to give the children the future they deserve. Which is why the council has stepped in and offered a solution. It may not be the solution that some seek, and that is why it has gone to consultation. The parents and staff of Newport received written notification about the consultation process and to imply that the school has disabled the website on purpose is non-sensical. School mergers are fraught with emotion, but name calling and insinuations are no way to deal with the issue. TeacherForLife
  • Score: 4

11:09pm Tue 22 Jul 14

leytonoldboy2 says...

Well, to (mis)quote Mandy Rice-Davis 'You would say that, wouldn't you?'
Well, to (mis)quote Mandy Rice-Davis 'You would say that, wouldn't you?' leytonoldboy2
  • Score: 4

8:44am Wed 23 Jul 14

runningupthathill says...

TeacherForLife, your loyalty to your employer is praiseworthy and I have no reason to doubt your sincerity, just as I have no reason to doubt the sincerity of others who have posted comments.
I take it you are saying that all the staff who have left or are leaving from Dawlish either did not "share the vision" or were unwilling to work harder. I wonder how you know this. Is there an exit form on which all staff who left either gave "don't share the vision" or "don't want to work harder" as their reason for leaving? Or were staff asked to leave if the management identified one (or both) of these two thought-crimes? Or is mind-reading involved here?
I also wonder exactly what "the vision" is and why it has proved so unpopular amongst the teaching staff at Dawlish.
I'm scratching my head here, trying to make sense of it all.
TeacherForLife, your loyalty to your employer is praiseworthy and I have no reason to doubt your sincerity, just as I have no reason to doubt the sincerity of others who have posted comments. I take it you are saying that all the staff who have left or are leaving from Dawlish either did not "share the vision" or were unwilling to work harder. I wonder how you know this. Is there an exit form on which all staff who left either gave "don't share the vision" or "don't want to work harder" as their reason for leaving? Or were staff asked to leave if the management identified one (or both) of these two thought-crimes? Or is mind-reading involved here? I also wonder exactly what "the vision" is and why it has proved so unpopular amongst the teaching staff at Dawlish. I'm scratching my head here, trying to make sense of it all. runningupthathill
  • Score: 6

3:15pm Wed 23 Jul 14

leytonoldboy2 says...

It is not we who confuse bullying with high expectations, we are very aware of the difference. Bullying is to use superior strength or influence to intimidate someone, typically to force them to do something. In this case the ‘something’ is often to shut up, stop asking us to look after your child, stop asking us difficult questions about education, stop giving us your point of view altogether, especially when you’re challenging ours. Those are nothing to do with high expectations.
Your figures are unbelievable by which I mean no-one believes them to reflect the true abilities of the children. How do you prepare those children for the disappointment, frustration and embarrassment when they go to secondary school and the teachers expect one thing and get something altogether different? Local secondary schools used to like to get Dawlish children because their test results were not inflated, they had an ability to think for themselves and an enthusiasm for learning. Many go on to be very high achievers, reflecting well on the schools they come from.
It is also, judging from the behaviour, very difficult to believe the motivation is to help children. Don’t you ever wonder if you might be wrong in following your leader so devotedly, when so many fear and despise her? Is this what you wanted from choosing teaching for life? Of course you are in favour at the moment and you are probably being told it’s necessary to keep secrets, to deflect criticism, to have ’little chats’ with people, to present things in a particular light—because the end justifies the means. Those things are not right and will never get the best from people, whatever their age.
Whatever story you have in your head that justifies what’s going on—you need to unpick it and start thinking for yourself, Teacherforlife, or you will become extremely battle-weary. There will always be people like us—who value truth, openness and kindness, to challenge you.
It is not we who confuse bullying with high expectations, we are very aware of the difference. Bullying is to use superior strength or influence to intimidate someone, typically to force them to do something. In this case the ‘something’ is often to shut up, stop asking us to look after your child, stop asking us difficult questions about education, stop giving us your point of view altogether, especially when you’re challenging ours. Those are nothing to do with high expectations. Your figures are unbelievable by which I mean no-one believes them to reflect the true abilities of the children. How do you prepare those children for the disappointment, frustration and embarrassment when they go to secondary school and the teachers expect one thing and get something altogether different? Local secondary schools used to like to get Dawlish children because their test results were not inflated, they had an ability to think for themselves and an enthusiasm for learning. Many go on to be very high achievers, reflecting well on the schools they come from. It is also, judging from the behaviour, very difficult to believe the motivation is to help children. Don’t you ever wonder if you might be wrong in following your leader so devotedly, when so many fear and despise her? Is this what you wanted from choosing teaching for life? Of course you are in favour at the moment and you are probably being told it’s necessary to keep secrets, to deflect criticism, to have ’little chats’ with people, to present things in a particular light—because the end justifies the means. Those things are not right and will never get the best from people, whatever their age. Whatever story you have in your head that justifies what’s going on—you need to unpick it and start thinking for yourself, Teacherforlife, or you will become extremely battle-weary. There will always be people like us—who value truth, openness and kindness, to challenge you. leytonoldboy2
  • Score: 9

1:12pm Thu 24 Jul 14

EastisEast says...

"Your figures are unbelievable by which I mean no-one believes them to reflect the true abilities of the children. "

Any Newport parent or child reading this please don't take this as "proof" that you/your child did not deserve the grade he/she got. This is one person's opinion stated as fact, but with no evidence, and not given in the spirit of kindness at all. Newport teachers, I am sure you (as well as the Dawlish teachers) have worked hard this year to do the best for the children you teach. Well done on achieving these results.
"Your figures are unbelievable by which I mean no-one believes them to reflect the true abilities of the children. " Any Newport parent or child reading this please don't take this as "proof" that you/your child did not deserve the grade he/she got. This is one person's opinion stated as fact, but with no evidence, and not given in the spirit of kindness at all. Newport teachers, I am sure you (as well as the Dawlish teachers) have worked hard this year to do the best for the children you teach. Well done on achieving these results. EastisEast
  • Score: 2

7:11pm Thu 24 Jul 14

Important Education says...

I am welcoming the hard federation because my children's education comes first and Dawlish school is failing. Prue Barnes can make Dawlish outstanding. The reason Dawlish parents are angry about the federation is because they did not know that Dawlish is failing for four years. Parents are only concentrating about the changes because they thought the school was a good school. Now we are welcoming Newport School as they are are our Neighbour and our community.
I am welcoming the hard federation because my children's education comes first and Dawlish school is failing. Prue Barnes can make Dawlish outstanding. The reason Dawlish parents are angry about the federation is because they did not know that Dawlish is failing for four years. Parents are only concentrating about the changes because they thought the school was a good school. Now we are welcoming Newport School as they are are our Neighbour and our community. Important Education
  • Score: 3

9:50pm Fri 25 Jul 14

mammapee says...

Important Education, I was very pleased when my daughter started at Dawlish because I think it is a good school but you said it’s failing. I have heard of failing schools and I don’t really know what you mean? Is “failing” your opinion or is Dawlish Primary School failing officially? How did you find this out?
Important Education, I was very pleased when my daughter started at Dawlish because I think it is a good school but you said it’s failing. I have heard of failing schools and I don’t really know what you mean? Is “failing” your opinion or is Dawlish Primary School failing officially? How did you find this out? mammapee
  • Score: 0

10:31pm Fri 25 Jul 14

Important Education says...

Mamapee, I am a parent at Dawlish school too . Yes the fact that Dawlish Primary School is failing is not my opinion it is a fact .There is an article in the Waltham Forest Guardian stating this.
Here is the link
http://www.guardian-
series.co.uk/news/10
876416.Vast_majority
_of_primary_schools_
reach__tough__target
/
Mamapee, I am a parent at Dawlish school too . Yes the fact that Dawlish Primary School is failing is not my opinion it is a fact .There is an article in the Waltham Forest Guardian stating this. Here is the link http://www.guardian- series.co.uk/news/10 876416.Vast_majority _of_primary_schools_ reach__tough__target / Important Education
  • Score: 0
Post a comment

Remember you are personally responsible for what you post on this site and must abide by our site terms. Do not post anything that is false, abusive or malicious. If you wish to complain, please use the ‘report this post’ link.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree