Children as young as ten are being taught dangers of gangs

London Ambulance service has shown a decline in the number of stabbings and shooting attended in 2014

London Ambulance service has shown a decline in the number of stabbings and shooting attended in 2014

First published in News
Last updated
East London and West Essex Guardian Series: Photograph of the Author by , Reporter

Children as young as ten are being educated by police about the dangers of gangs after police discovered they are being used to carry drugs and weapons.

This year London Ambulance Service (LAS) has attended 40 incidents in which someone has been shot or stabbed in the borough.

Last year, it was 102.

Waltham Forest Police officers put the fall in the figures to anti-gang education programmes, among other initiatives.

PC Richard Graham, an engagement and projects officer, said: “We have to look at the difficulties and dangers facing children.

"There used to be a focus on stranger danger, but over the last few years we have focused on gangs.

“Often gang members will get a primary school child to hold a knife or drugs to avoid being caught by police.

“The children are introduced into gang life at a very early age.”

There are a number of projects being run aimed at getting Waltham Forest gang members away from their current lifestyle.

Pc Graham added: "Another example was the football game at [Leyton] Orient with gang members.

"We brought members from opposite gang members together and held training sessions with them."

“There is also the safe and secure project aimed at getting whole families out of the borough.

“You can’t just leave a gang they will hurt you and threaten your family.

“They have men and women that they call ‘generals’ who are basically the muscle to keep gang members in line.”

A Freedom of Information Act request submitted to LAS shows there has been weapon related incidents across the borough.

In Forest ward last year, there were 18.

PC Graham said: “We cannot afford to be complacent.

“There will be ebbs and waves for each area. Sometimes there will be two or three stabbings in quick succession because of a ‘beef’ or argument with one particular gang.

“We have to keep educating young people and trying to identify vulnerable children to keep them from going into gang life.”

Comments (16)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

4:17pm Tue 15 Jul 14

Villagecranberry says...

Where are the parents of the children in all this? Why are they not supervising them?
Where are the parents of the children in all this? Why are they not supervising them? Villagecranberry
  • Score: 2

11:04pm Tue 15 Jul 14

Sharlott says...

There's a bit of gang activity on the Rivenhall estate in Snaresbrook at the moment. Nothing seems to be being done about it and its making the residents lives a misery. A lot of descent people are thinking about moving.
There's a bit of gang activity on the Rivenhall estate in Snaresbrook at the moment. Nothing seems to be being done about it and its making the residents lives a misery. A lot of descent people are thinking about moving. Sharlott
  • Score: 3

11:12pm Tue 15 Jul 14

SpursSupporter1 says...

Do you really expect people to believe that crime has gone down don't make us laugh and more importantly don't insult the publics inelligence
Do you really expect people to believe that crime has gone down don't make us laugh and more importantly don't insult the publics inelligence SpursSupporter1
  • Score: 4

8:42am Wed 16 Jul 14

stickmanny says...

SpursSupporter1 wrote:
Do you really expect people to believe that crime has gone down don't make us laugh and more importantly don't insult the publics inelligence
That comment needs some evidence to back it up (please spare us the anecdotes).
[quote][p][bold]SpursSupporter1[/bold] wrote: Do you really expect people to believe that crime has gone down don't make us laugh and more importantly don't insult the publics inelligence[/p][/quote]That comment needs some evidence to back it up (please spare us the anecdotes). stickmanny
  • Score: -1

9:18am Wed 16 Jul 14

Villagecranberry says...

stickmanny wrote:
SpursSupporter1 wrote:
Do you really expect people to believe that crime has gone down don't make us laugh and more importantly don't insult the publics inelligence
That comment needs some evidence to back it up (please spare us the anecdotes).
The evidence is from the police themselves! They admit they have been fiddling the crime figures for years.
[quote][p][bold]stickmanny[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]SpursSupporter1[/bold] wrote: Do you really expect people to believe that crime has gone down don't make us laugh and more importantly don't insult the publics inelligence[/p][/quote]That comment needs some evidence to back it up (please spare us the anecdotes).[/p][/quote]The evidence is from the police themselves! They admit they have been fiddling the crime figures for years. Villagecranberry
  • Score: -4

9:51am Wed 16 Jul 14

stickmanny says...

Oh boy that does sound like reliable evidence yes lets trust that then.

Fool.
Oh boy that does sound like reliable evidence yes lets trust that then. Fool. stickmanny
  • Score: 1

12:10pm Wed 16 Jul 14

Villagecranberry says...

stickmanny wrote:
Oh boy that does sound like reliable evidence yes lets trust that then.

Fool.
If they admit to showing the figures less than they are in reality, then certainly this is evidence and the only foolishness is to believe otherwise.
[quote][p][bold]stickmanny[/bold] wrote: Oh boy that does sound like reliable evidence yes lets trust that then. Fool.[/p][/quote]If they admit to showing the figures less than they are in reality, then certainly this is evidence and the only foolishness is to believe otherwise. Villagecranberry
  • Score: -3

4:03pm Wed 16 Jul 14

stickmanny says...

http://www.ons.gov.u
k/ons/rel/crime-stat
s/crime-statistics/p
eriod-ending-decembe
r-2013/stb-crime-sta
ts-dec-2013.html

Crime reported by a sample of 50,000 people (not Police figures) down 15% over the previous year.

The Police figures are wrong. You are wrong.

It is so clear a monkey could understand it. You don't want to understand it, which is why you are so confused.
http://www.ons.gov.u k/ons/rel/crime-stat s/crime-statistics/p eriod-ending-decembe r-2013/stb-crime-sta ts-dec-2013.html Crime reported by a sample of 50,000 people (not Police figures) down 15% over the previous year. The Police figures are wrong. You are wrong. It is so clear a monkey could understand it. You don't want to understand it, which is why you are so confused. stickmanny
  • Score: 3

5:04pm Wed 16 Jul 14

Villagecranberry says...

stickmanny wrote:
http://www.ons.gov.u

k/ons/rel/crime-stat

s/crime-statistics/p

eriod-ending-decembe

r-2013/stb-crime-sta

ts-dec-2013.html

Crime reported by a sample of 50,000 people (not Police figures) down 15% over the previous year.

The Police figures are wrong. You are wrong.

It is so clear a monkey could understand it. You don't want to understand it, which is why you are so confused.
I understand and know that people find it impossible to report a crime now as all the police stations have been sold off for a start.

Those figures you quote come from the police who have massaged them first.

You can go around with your head in the clouds wearing Cranberry Tinted Spectacles, but on a week by week basis on this site are reports of murders, shootings, stabbings, robberies, rapes, all in this Borough, not Mexico.

Most people are afraid to wander out at night!
[quote][p][bold]stickmanny[/bold] wrote: http://www.ons.gov.u k/ons/rel/crime-stat s/crime-statistics/p eriod-ending-decembe r-2013/stb-crime-sta ts-dec-2013.html Crime reported by a sample of 50,000 people (not Police figures) down 15% over the previous year. The Police figures are wrong. You are wrong. It is so clear a monkey could understand it. You don't want to understand it, which is why you are so confused.[/p][/quote]I understand and know that people find it impossible to report a crime now as all the police stations have been sold off for a start. Those figures you quote come from the police who have massaged them first. You can go around with your head in the clouds wearing Cranberry Tinted Spectacles, but on a week by week basis on this site are reports of murders, shootings, stabbings, robberies, rapes, all in this Borough, not Mexico. Most people are afraid to wander out at night! Villagecranberry
  • Score: -2

5:34pm Wed 16 Jul 14

stickmanny says...

1. Nothing to do with the figures I quoted. Nothing to do with the Police. They were not involved in collecting them. Got it?

2. No they don't. They really, really don't

3. Cranberry Tinted Spectacles always a laugh. Where do I buy some?

4. And what a shame that is. Fear generated by the likes of this site, you, and the papers you read.
1. Nothing to do with the figures I quoted. Nothing to do with the Police. They were not involved in collecting them. Got it? 2. No they don't. They really, really don't 3. Cranberry Tinted Spectacles always a laugh. Where do I buy some? 4. And what a shame that is. Fear generated by the likes of this site, you, and the papers you read. stickmanny
  • Score: 2

5:37pm Wed 16 Jul 14

stickmanny says...

And here's another one to chew on. Crime is going down across the Western world. Nearly every city or country where the fall is seen took lead out of petrol about 20 years beforehand.
And here's another one to chew on. Crime is going down across the Western world. Nearly every city or country where the fall is seen took lead out of petrol about 20 years beforehand. stickmanny
  • Score: 0

6:50pm Wed 16 Jul 14

Villagecranberry says...

stickmanny wrote:
And here's another one to chew on. Crime is going down across the Western world. Nearly every city or country where the fall is seen took lead out of petrol about 20 years beforehand.
People are concerned about Waltham Forest and neighbouring boroughs, not the 'Western World' although maybe they should be considering most of the World seems to be here these days.
[quote][p][bold]stickmanny[/bold] wrote: And here's another one to chew on. Crime is going down across the Western world. Nearly every city or country where the fall is seen took lead out of petrol about 20 years beforehand.[/p][/quote]People are concerned about Waltham Forest and neighbouring boroughs, not the 'Western World' although maybe they should be considering most of the World seems to be here these days. Villagecranberry
  • Score: -3

7:02pm Wed 16 Jul 14

stickmanny says...

You should be concerned about your mind. Have you been heavily exposed to lead?
You should be concerned about your mind. Have you been heavily exposed to lead? stickmanny
  • Score: 0

12:53am Thu 17 Jul 14

Villagecranberry says...

stickmanny wrote:
1. Nothing to do with the figures I quoted. Nothing to do with the Police. They were not involved in collecting them. Got it?

2. No they don't. They really, really don't

3. Cranberry Tinted Spectacles always a laugh. Where do I buy some?

4. And what a shame that is. Fear generated by the likes of this site, you, and the papers you read.
In answer to 3.

Try the internet.
[quote][p][bold]stickmanny[/bold] wrote: 1. Nothing to do with the figures I quoted. Nothing to do with the Police. They were not involved in collecting them. Got it? 2. No they don't. They really, really don't 3. Cranberry Tinted Spectacles always a laugh. Where do I buy some? 4. And what a shame that is. Fear generated by the likes of this site, you, and the papers you read.[/p][/quote]In answer to 3. Try the internet. Villagecranberry
  • Score: -2

7:56am Thu 17 Jul 14

DaveInTheForest says...

stickmanny wrote:
You should be concerned about your mind. Have you been heavily exposed to lead?
Ah, the usual Stickmanny approach: moral indignation, a volley of meaningless statistics, then accusations of mental illness.

It's the same every time. As it is usually immigration or crime that gets him/her started, I really wonder if he/she works for one of those Government departments which troll websites trying to change public perception on certain issues. Of course, he/she will deny it and, as usual, accuse me of some sort of mental illness.
[quote][p][bold]stickmanny[/bold] wrote: You should be concerned about your mind. Have you been heavily exposed to lead?[/p][/quote]Ah, the usual Stickmanny approach: moral indignation, a volley of meaningless statistics, then accusations of mental illness. It's the same every time. As it is usually immigration or crime that gets him/her started, I really wonder if he/she works for one of those Government departments which troll websites trying to change public perception on certain issues. Of course, he/she will deny it and, as usual, accuse me of some sort of mental illness. DaveInTheForest
  • Score: -3

10:03am Thu 17 Jul 14

Villagecranberry says...

DaveInTheForest wrote:
stickmanny wrote:
You should be concerned about your mind. Have you been heavily exposed to lead?
Ah, the usual Stickmanny approach: moral indignation, a volley of meaningless statistics, then accusations of mental illness.

It's the same every time. As it is usually immigration or crime that gets him/her started, I really wonder if he/she works for one of those Government departments which troll websites trying to change public perception on certain issues. Of course, he/she will deny it and, as usual, accuse me of some sort of mental illness.
Are you sure you are not poisoned by lead as that is what he accuses people with a different view?
[quote][p][bold]DaveInTheForest[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]stickmanny[/bold] wrote: You should be concerned about your mind. Have you been heavily exposed to lead?[/p][/quote]Ah, the usual Stickmanny approach: moral indignation, a volley of meaningless statistics, then accusations of mental illness. It's the same every time. As it is usually immigration or crime that gets him/her started, I really wonder if he/she works for one of those Government departments which troll websites trying to change public perception on certain issues. Of course, he/she will deny it and, as usual, accuse me of some sort of mental illness.[/p][/quote]Are you sure you are not poisoned by lead as that is what he accuses people with a different view? Villagecranberry
  • Score: -2

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree