Freedom of Information request reveals criminals in London were cautioned for rape, assault and a series of sexual offences

Rapists, drug smugglers, and arsonists cautioned by police

Rapists, drug smugglers, and arsonists cautioned by police

First published in News
Last updated
East London and West Essex Guardian Series: Photograph of the Author by , Reporter

Criminals involved in cases of rape, wounding with intent, and drug smuggling were cautioned by police in London last year, new figures show.

Figures obtained by Conservative London Assembly member Tony Arbour under the Freedom of Information (FoI) act show the Metropolitan Police gave out 29,560 cautions across the capital in 2013/14. 

Cautions were given in two cases of rape and for a total of 286 sexual offences, almost 1,400 cases of  grevious bodily harm (GBH), and 4,957 offences relating to theft and handling stolen goods. 

A total of 301 drug traffickers were cautioned and the overall number of cautions handed out has increased from the previous year by 562.      

Mr Arbour, who obtained the figures from The Mayor's Office for Policing and Crime (MPOAC), said criminals were being "let off" and has urged the police to publish crime figures regularly. 

The majority of cautions, 13, 975, were given for offences involving violence against a person, despite cases of domestic abuse rising across all London boroughs. 

A spokesman for the Metropolitan Police said: "A caution is a serious matter; they are not taken lightly and we are conscious of the consequences that this judicial disposal can have on a person's future.

"It should also be recognised that they are used predominately to deal with first time offenders and as an alternative to court appearance where guilt is admitted."

Breakdown of cautions

Rape  - 2

Other sexual offences  - 284

Wounding/GBH - 1,356

Assault with injury - 5,345

Arson - 23

Criminal damage to a property - 1, 032

Drug trafficking - 301

Theft from shops - 2,992

Comments (13)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

8:16am Tue 22 Jul 14

Villagecranberry says...

But let's us not forget that reported crime is down.

The reality being, people are so disillusioned with the police and their attitudes to victims that they cannot be bothered to report crime these days. Even when they try and report a crime it is far more difficult.

Stations are closed, and you get fobbed off on the phone.

Street crime and anti social behaviour at an all time high. At the Bakers Arms these days, people openly smoking cannabis and other stuff in and around the back alleys even at the back of the mostly closed Police Office.
But let's us not forget that reported crime is down. The reality being, people are so disillusioned with the police and their attitudes to victims that they cannot be bothered to report crime these days. Even when they try and report a crime it is far more difficult. Stations are closed, and you get fobbed off on the phone. Street crime and anti social behaviour at an all time high. At the Bakers Arms these days, people openly smoking cannabis and other stuff in and around the back alleys even at the back of the mostly closed Police Office. Villagecranberry
  • Score: 8

3:05pm Tue 22 Jul 14

tjm01 says...

How on earth any of these crimes result in a caution is beyond me, rape is without doubt the worst crime ever and must on conviction carry a long custodial sentence, todays criminals must be laughing there way through life, no wonder there are so many repeat offenders, lets face it they have little to worry about if they get caught

It matters not if they are first time offenders Rape/Other sexual offences,wounding/G.
B.H,Assault with injury,Arson, & Drug Trafficking are all custodial offence,s which if the courts issue sentences which fit the crime will see these peoeple off the streets for very long time
How on earth any of these crimes result in a caution is beyond me, rape is without doubt the worst crime ever and must on conviction carry a long custodial sentence, todays criminals must be laughing there way through life, no wonder there are so many repeat offenders, lets face it they have little to worry about if they get caught It matters not if they are first time offenders Rape/Other sexual offences,wounding/G. B.H,Assault with injury,Arson, & Drug Trafficking are all custodial offence,s which if the courts issue sentences which fit the crime will see these peoeple off the streets for very long time tjm01
  • Score: 4

3:40pm Tue 22 Jul 14

Villagecranberry says...

tjm01 wrote:
How on earth any of these crimes result in a caution is beyond me, rape is without doubt the worst crime ever and must on conviction carry a long custodial sentence, todays criminals must be laughing there way through life, no wonder there are so many repeat offenders, lets face it they have little to worry about if they get caught

It matters not if they are first time offenders Rape/Other sexual offences,wounding/G.

B.H,Assault with injury,Arson, & Drug Trafficking are all custodial offence,s which if the courts issue sentences which fit the crime will see these peoeple off the streets for very long time
Logic of plankton I am afraid.
[quote][p][bold]tjm01[/bold] wrote: How on earth any of these crimes result in a caution is beyond me, rape is without doubt the worst crime ever and must on conviction carry a long custodial sentence, todays criminals must be laughing there way through life, no wonder there are so many repeat offenders, lets face it they have little to worry about if they get caught It matters not if they are first time offenders Rape/Other sexual offences,wounding/G. B.H,Assault with injury,Arson, & Drug Trafficking are all custodial offence,s which if the courts issue sentences which fit the crime will see these peoeple off the streets for very long time[/p][/quote]Logic of plankton I am afraid. Villagecranberry
  • Score: 3

6:44pm Tue 22 Jul 14

ColinOrient says...

CAUTIONS for crimes like this - just how low can this country sink? The criminal is now the protected one, with his huge list of human rights on his side. Meanwhile, Mr & Mrs Pensioner, if you cannot pay your council tax, good old "British" law will soon see you banged up inside. No wonder the good ones are considering emigrating.
CAUTIONS for crimes like this - just how low can this country sink? The criminal is now the protected one, with his huge list of human rights on his side. Meanwhile, Mr & Mrs Pensioner, if you cannot pay your council tax, good old "British" law will soon see you banged up inside. No wonder the good ones are considering emigrating. ColinOrient
  • Score: 6

11:43pm Tue 22 Jul 14

SpursSupporter1 says...

The authorities should be ashamed of them selves how can justice ever be done in allowing a Rapist or like to walk away a caution, I just cant understand how Britain can become so lawless
The authorities should be ashamed of them selves how can justice ever be done in allowing a Rapist or like to walk away a caution, I just cant understand how Britain can become so lawless SpursSupporter1
  • Score: 1

6:05am Wed 23 Jul 14

tjm01 says...

Villagecranberry wrote:
tjm01 wrote: How on earth any of these crimes result in a caution is beyond me, rape is without doubt the worst crime ever and must on conviction carry a long custodial sentence, todays criminals must be laughing there way through life, no wonder there are so many repeat offenders, lets face it they have little to worry about if they get caught It matters not if they are first time offenders Rape/Other sexual offences,wounding/G. B.H,Assault with injury,Arson, & Drug Trafficking are all custodial offence,s which if the courts issue sentences which fit the crime will see these peoeple off the streets for very long time
Logic of plankton I am afraid.
I take it you disgree and if so please explain why
[quote][p][bold]Villagecranberry[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]tjm01[/bold] wrote: How on earth any of these crimes result in a caution is beyond me, rape is without doubt the worst crime ever and must on conviction carry a long custodial sentence, todays criminals must be laughing there way through life, no wonder there are so many repeat offenders, lets face it they have little to worry about if they get caught It matters not if they are first time offenders Rape/Other sexual offences,wounding/G. B.H,Assault with injury,Arson, & Drug Trafficking are all custodial offence,s which if the courts issue sentences which fit the crime will see these peoeple off the streets for very long time[/p][/quote]Logic of plankton I am afraid.[/p][/quote]I take it you disgree and if so please explain why tjm01
  • Score: 2

8:07am Wed 23 Jul 14

Villagecranberry says...

tjm01 wrote:
Villagecranberry wrote:
tjm01 wrote: How on earth any of these crimes result in a caution is beyond me, rape is without doubt the worst crime ever and must on conviction carry a long custodial sentence, todays criminals must be laughing there way through life, no wonder there are so many repeat offenders, lets face it they have little to worry about if they get caught It matters not if they are first time offenders Rape/Other sexual offences,wounding/G. B.H,Assault with injury,Arson, & Drug Trafficking are all custodial offence,s which if the courts issue sentences which fit the crime will see these peoeple off the streets for very long time
Logic of plankton I am afraid.
I take it you disgree and if so please explain why
No , I agree with everything you say.
[quote][p][bold]tjm01[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Villagecranberry[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]tjm01[/bold] wrote: How on earth any of these crimes result in a caution is beyond me, rape is without doubt the worst crime ever and must on conviction carry a long custodial sentence, todays criminals must be laughing there way through life, no wonder there are so many repeat offenders, lets face it they have little to worry about if they get caught It matters not if they are first time offenders Rape/Other sexual offences,wounding/G. B.H,Assault with injury,Arson, & Drug Trafficking are all custodial offence,s which if the courts issue sentences which fit the crime will see these peoeple off the streets for very long time[/p][/quote]Logic of plankton I am afraid.[/p][/quote]I take it you disgree and if so please explain why[/p][/quote]No , I agree with everything you say. Villagecranberry
  • Score: 1

11:38am Wed 23 Jul 14

stickmanny says...

Villagecranberry wrote:
But let's us not forget that reported crime is down.

The reality being, people are so disillusioned with the police and their attitudes to victims that they cannot be bothered to report crime these days. Even when they try and report a crime it is far more difficult.

Stations are closed, and you get fobbed off on the phone.

Street crime and anti social behaviour at an all time high. At the Bakers Arms these days, people openly smoking cannabis and other stuff in and around the back alleys even at the back of the mostly closed Police Office.
"But let's us not forget that reported crime is down. "

Nearly correct. The Crime Survey ask 50,000 people every year about crime committed towards them.

Not crime they tried to report, just crime committed towards them.

They add it all together and publish the results every year.

This year crime is down 14% down over last year.
[quote][p][bold]Villagecranberry[/bold] wrote: But let's us not forget that reported crime is down. The reality being, people are so disillusioned with the police and their attitudes to victims that they cannot be bothered to report crime these days. Even when they try and report a crime it is far more difficult. Stations are closed, and you get fobbed off on the phone. Street crime and anti social behaviour at an all time high. At the Bakers Arms these days, people openly smoking cannabis and other stuff in and around the back alleys even at the back of the mostly closed Police Office.[/p][/quote]"But let's us not forget that reported crime is down. " Nearly correct. The Crime Survey ask 50,000 people every year about crime committed towards them. Not crime they tried to report, just crime committed towards them. They add it all together and publish the results every year. This year crime is down 14% down over last year. stickmanny
  • Score: -4

8:38pm Wed 23 Jul 14

DaveInTheForest says...

stickmanny wrote:
Villagecranberry wrote:
But let's us not forget that reported crime is down.

The reality being, people are so disillusioned with the police and their attitudes to victims that they cannot be bothered to report crime these days. Even when they try and report a crime it is far more difficult.

Stations are closed, and you get fobbed off on the phone.

Street crime and anti social behaviour at an all time high. At the Bakers Arms these days, people openly smoking cannabis and other stuff in and around the back alleys even at the back of the mostly closed Police Office.
"But let's us not forget that reported crime is down. "

Nearly correct. The Crime Survey ask 50,000 people every year about crime committed towards them.

Not crime they tried to report, just crime committed towards them.

They add it all together and publish the results every year.

This year crime is down 14% down over last year.
utter b0ll0cks (as usual)
[quote][p][bold]stickmanny[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Villagecranberry[/bold] wrote: But let's us not forget that reported crime is down. The reality being, people are so disillusioned with the police and their attitudes to victims that they cannot be bothered to report crime these days. Even when they try and report a crime it is far more difficult. Stations are closed, and you get fobbed off on the phone. Street crime and anti social behaviour at an all time high. At the Bakers Arms these days, people openly smoking cannabis and other stuff in and around the back alleys even at the back of the mostly closed Police Office.[/p][/quote]"But let's us not forget that reported crime is down. " Nearly correct. The Crime Survey ask 50,000 people every year about crime committed towards them. Not crime they tried to report, just crime committed towards them. They add it all together and publish the results every year. This year crime is down 14% down over last year.[/p][/quote]utter b0ll0cks (as usual) DaveInTheForest
  • Score: 3

7:11am Thu 24 Jul 14

stickmanny says...

Fool
Fool stickmanny
  • Score: -1

4:22pm Sun 27 Jul 14

Linzi1 says...

Unbelievable, violence, robbers & nonces get cautioned! Yet I get bird twice for calling a 'sort of' ex a fat bastar* because his friend stalked me! Albeit I called him this name many many times, also breaching a court order but it was a TWO WAY argument! Come on old bill get your fuc*ing priorites in order! Filth get away with everything, its easier for corrupt old bill to nick decent people! Thank god my husband & myself along with the rest of my family are emigrating on a permanent basis on 30th July 2014! Good riddance to shi* England!!! LINZI BRINDLE nee DOZE
Unbelievable, violence, robbers & nonces get cautioned! Yet I get bird twice for calling a 'sort of' ex a fat bastar* because his friend stalked me! Albeit I called him this name many many times, also breaching a court order but it was a TWO WAY argument! Come on old bill get your fuc*ing priorites in order! Filth get away with everything, its easier for corrupt old bill to nick decent people! Thank god my husband & myself along with the rest of my family are emigrating on a permanent basis on 30th July 2014! Good riddance to shi* England!!! LINZI BRINDLE nee DOZE Linzi1
  • Score: 2

12:54pm Mon 28 Jul 14

tjm01 says...

Linzi1 wrote:
Unbelievable, violence, robbers & nonces get cautioned! Yet I get bird twice for calling a 'sort of' ex a fat bastar* because his friend stalked me! Albeit I called him this name many many times, also breaching a court order but it was a TWO WAY argument! Come on old bill get your fuc*ing priorites in order! Filth get away with everything, its easier for corrupt old bill to nick decent people! Thank god my husband & myself along with the rest of my family are emigrating on a permanent basis on 30th July 2014! Good riddance to shi* England!!! LINZI BRINDLE nee DOZE
This country will without doubt be a better place without you, but I bet you and your kindred will come scuttling back if you need health care, or worst still need to sign on again

I thought idiots like you were a thing left in the 1970s
[quote][p][bold]Linzi1[/bold] wrote: Unbelievable, violence, robbers & nonces get cautioned! Yet I get bird twice for calling a 'sort of' ex a fat bastar* because his friend stalked me! Albeit I called him this name many many times, also breaching a court order but it was a TWO WAY argument! Come on old bill get your fuc*ing priorites in order! Filth get away with everything, its easier for corrupt old bill to nick decent people! Thank god my husband & myself along with the rest of my family are emigrating on a permanent basis on 30th July 2014! Good riddance to shi* England!!! LINZI BRINDLE nee DOZE[/p][/quote]This country will without doubt be a better place without you, but I bet you and your kindred will come scuttling back if you need health care, or worst still need to sign on again I thought idiots like you were a thing left in the 1970s tjm01
  • Score: 0

8:25pm Mon 4 Aug 14

Linzi999 says...

tjm01 wrote:
Linzi1 wrote:
Unbelievable, violence, robbers & nonces get cautioned! Yet I get bird twice for calling a 'sort of' ex a fat bastar* because his friend stalked me! Albeit I called him this name many many times, also breaching a court order but it was a TWO WAY argument! Come on old bill get your fuc*ing priorites in order! Filth get away with everything, its easier for corrupt old bill to nick decent people! Thank god my husband & myself along with the rest of my family are emigrating on a permanent basis on 30th July 2014! Good riddance to shi* England!!! LINZI BRINDLE nee DOZE
This country will without doubt be a better place without you, but I bet you and your kindred will come scuttling back if you need health care, or worst still need to sign on again

I thought idiots like you were a thing left in the 1970s
Never been on the dole in my life, always had my own businesses. My husband is also a very wealthy man so are my parents & since 1990 Ive had private healthcare & our child went to private school in England! Wish England was still in the 1970's, it was good then! Enjoy living in the scum of Waltham Forest! Adios
[quote][p][bold]tjm01[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Linzi1[/bold] wrote: Unbelievable, violence, robbers & nonces get cautioned! Yet I get bird twice for calling a 'sort of' ex a fat bastar* because his friend stalked me! Albeit I called him this name many many times, also breaching a court order but it was a TWO WAY argument! Come on old bill get your fuc*ing priorites in order! Filth get away with everything, its easier for corrupt old bill to nick decent people! Thank god my husband & myself along with the rest of my family are emigrating on a permanent basis on 30th July 2014! Good riddance to shi* England!!! LINZI BRINDLE nee DOZE[/p][/quote]This country will without doubt be a better place without you, but I bet you and your kindred will come scuttling back if you need health care, or worst still need to sign on again I thought idiots like you were a thing left in the 1970s[/p][/quote]Never been on the dole in my life, always had my own businesses. My husband is also a very wealthy man so are my parents & since 1990 Ive had private healthcare & our child went to private school in England! Wish England was still in the 1970's, it was good then! Enjoy living in the scum of Waltham Forest! Adios Linzi999
  • Score: 4

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree