Firefighters have issued a warning to smokers after a discarded cigarette is believed to have sparked a house fire.

Two fire engines and ten firefighters were dispatched to a terraced home in Pevensey Road, Forest Gate, last Friday (August 4).

A man left the property before the arrival of the brigade and he was treated at the scene for smoke inhalation by London Ambulance Service crews.

Half of the ground floor was damaged by fire.

London Fire Brigade (LFB) fire investigators believe the most likely cause of the fire was a discarded cigarette.

An LFB spokesman said: “If you're a smoker it’s absolutely vital you ensure your cigarette is completely out when you’ve finished smoking it.

“If you do not, you risk causing a fire which could not only destroy your home, but also cost you your life.”

The brigade also advised smokers to never smoke in bed, ensure cigarettes are disposed of safely and to only smoke outdoors if possible.