The hunt is still on to find four teenagers after a man was "stabbed in the bum" at a Tube station.

At the height of rush hour on Thursday (August 3) a group of youths were seen fleeing Leytonstone Underground station, leaving a bloody mess on the eastbound platform just before 7pm.

Police say the victim, a 26-year-old man from east London, was having a fight with the youths before he got stabbed.

He was found suffering with a stab wound and taken to hospital for treatment. He has since been discharged.

East London and West Essex Guardian Series:

Police cordon off the station

Trains did not stop at Leytonstone while officers cordoned off an area around a bench on the platform, which was strewn with blood-stained clothes.

British Transport Police are now appealing for information on the four suspects, who are all white and aged around 15 to 18-years-old.

Three of the suspects have short brown hair and one of them has short fair hair.

The first suspect was wearing a black hooded puffa jacket with a motif on the left-hand side, blue jeans and black trainers.

The second suspect was wearing a grey tracksuit with a white t-shirt with a large blue Adidas logo on the front, and carried a small black man-bag over his left shoulder.

The third suspect was wearing a black jacket with a red top underneath and jeans.

The fourth suspect was wearing a black jacket, grey tracksuit bottoms and trainers.

Investigating officer, Det Con Steve Best said: “We launched an investigation following the assault at Leytonstone underground station and I would like to hear from anyone who may have information about what happened.

"If you recognise the descriptions of the offenders, or have any other information, please call me on 0800 40 50 40 or text 61016, quoting reference number 491 3/8/17.”

Many rush hour commuters witnessed the aftermath, with some onlookers claiming they saw the victim immediately after the stabbing.

After the attack, Rafiq Khan, who works at the newsagents by the ticket barriers, said he saw the group run out of the station, heading towards Fairlop Road.

He said: "I saw some girls and some boys near the barrier and run off.

"After a few minutes the police came.

"They were all young and they looked white.

"Afterwards we found out that somebody got stabbed at the platform.

"We are shocked, they way they ran out makes us all scared and fearful."