A gang of men who tied up their victims during a violent burglary have been jailed for a total of 63 years.

Five men were sentenced at Snaresbrook Crown Court today (Monday, September 11), for aggravated burglary, grievous bodily harm, possession of a firearm with intent and false imprisonment.

The sentences follow an incident in Walthamstow in December last year, in which a group of suspects broke into a home.

Those jailed were:

  • Mohammed Ramjhun, 32, of Seaford Road, Ealing was jailed for eight years
  • Usman Deen, 29, of Seacole Close, Ealing was jailed for eight years
  • Hoopang Wong, 30, of Byron Way, Ealing was jailed for 12 years
  • Andy Chu, 33, of Southdown Avenue, Ealing was jailed for eight years
  • Kazm Kareem, 36, of no fixed abode, was jailed for 12 years

Kazm Kareem was found guilty of the offences following an eight-day trial at the same court, which concluded in June. The other four defendants pleaded guilty at an earlier hearing.

A sixth man, Aso Mohammed Ghadr, 32, of Kedleston Walk, Bethnal Green, stood trial with Kazm Kareem and was found guilty of conspiracy to commit aggravated burglary and was jailed today for 15 years.

He was found not guilty of a separate charge of intimidation of a witness.

The sentences relate to a burglary at a home in Warner Road, Walthamstow, on December 29 last year, which began when the gang broke into the property at around 4.55am.

Three victims were in the property at the time. The burglars tied two of the victims up, and one was stabbed twice. They were threatened with a firearm and the suspects demanded money.

One of the victims called police for a short time to say burglars were in the house without giving the door number, and two officers visited the street.

After a short search, they came to a property with an open door and lights on.

Upon entering the building, one officer found one of the victims lying on his stomach with his arms and legs bound on the landing.

This victim shouted that the intruders were armed with a gun. At this point the officer saw three suspects and a second victim who had blood on him.

When the officer drew his Taser, Wong, Ramjhun and Deen got on the floor as instructed, but Chu and Kareem attempted to flee and ran down the main stairs towards the front door.

The second officer, stood in the doorway, also drew his Taser and detained the men.

A firearm, which was later found to be an imitation, was recovered from the scene along with a number of knives.

The injured victim was taken to an east London hospital suffering wounds to his back, neck and right arm. He still has restricted movement of that hand.

The initial five defendants were arrested on suspicion of aggravated burglary, and charged the following day.

Aso Mohammed Ghadr was arrested in March 2017, three months after the raid and charged in April.

Detective Constable Lee Warrington of the Met's Flying Squad said: "This was a terrifying burglary in which these defendants used extreme violence.

“Their victims awoke to a nightmare scenario of intruders inside their home and they are still traumatised by the events of that night.

"The officers were at the scene very quickly and were faced with a horrific scene, but they acted extremely quickly and decisively to bring the situation under control and used proportionate force to detain the suspects, despite being heavily outnumbered.

"I would like to pay tribute to the victims for their bravery, courage and support throughout our investigation.

“These offenders have shown no remorse and I hope that the fact that they will collectively have 63 years to reflect on their actions brings a measure of comfort to their victims."