ADDRESS: Mopsies Park, Timberlog Close, Off Timberlog Lane, Basildon. Essex SS14 1PF Tel: 01268 558299
CAPTAIN: Michael Gray
HISTORY: Originally called Basildon Cricket Club, it has been in existence since before the second world war. During the War when all the young men were away it went into decline and was reformed in 1948. It played at the Old Rectory in Cranes Farm Road, now the site of the Ford and Fiat Tractor Plant.
It moved to Benfleet Recreation ground when the New Town began taking shape and moved back to Basildon in 1962. In 1968 The Basildon Cricket Club was formed as a result of a merger between two of the New Towns club, Basildon Cranes and Basildon Cricket Club and made Mopsies Park their headquarters.
Naturally enough the merger of these two clubs was strengthened further by the addition of several well known local players from other clubs, this produced a club of considerable strength.
In 1982, the dream of many club members was realised when the new club house was opened, by then Essex players Stuart Turner and Brian Hardie.
In 1997, with the demise of Pitsea Cricket Club a further merger took place which again strengthened the membership. At present there is an abundance of cricket at Basildon. The club currently fields 5 teams at the weekends for its members. It also plays regular weekday games and fields under 11, 13, 15 and 16 youth sides. It also holds a highly successful cricket week in July.