CHINGFORD: Anger as death crash driver sentencing moved (From East London and West Essex Guardian Series)
Send photos, video and news by texting GUARDIAN SERIES to 80360 (cost 10p), or email us
CHINGFORD: Anger as death crash driver sentencing moved
A MOTORIST who admitted driving carelessly before a crash which killed a motorcyclist has had his sentencing date changed so he can plan his son’s wedding.
The move was branded “ridiculous” and “a slap in the face” by Marne Watts, the father of Mo Watts, 20, who was killed last year in Hatch Lane, Chingford.
As the request was granted at Snaresbrook Crown Court, Mr Watts said he jumped up and shouted ‘my son will never get married, because he is dead’.
Mr Watts jnr was killed on August 21, 2009. His motorbike collided with a van and he died at the scene after suffering internal injuries.
Van driver David Sinclair, 55, of Cecil Avenue in Barking, earlier admitted a charge of careless driving and was due to be sentenced on July 9.
But last week his barrister Karen Dempsey told Snaresbrook Crown Court that Mr Sinclair’s son was due to be married on July 10 and he wanted to prepare the day before.
Judge Louise Kamill brought the hearing forward a week, and it is now due to be held on July 1.
“It’s so insensitive, I could not believe it,” Mr Watts said. “They didn’t have to mention it was for a wedding, it’s rubbing salt in the wound. Our family has been devastated but changing dates to suit them is ridiculous.”
Mr Watts jnr, a former Heathcote Secondary School pupil, was studying aerospace engineering at the University of Hertfordshire and was the first in his family to go to university.
He was on his way home to Bernwell Road in Chingford, after visiting his mum, when the tragic accident happened.
Mr Watts, a builder, said he expected Sinclair to receive a driving ban, a fine, community service or a combination of all three.
“It’s totally inadequate for what happened to me and my family,” he said. “I didn’t want retribution but this is just a slap in the face.”
Mr Watts said the rest of his family were “absolutely incensed” by the change of date and it had wrecked a commemoration event he was planning as he is due to erect his son’s headstone in the next few weeks.
Comments are closed on this article.