Waltham Abbey dog owner's warning after tracking missing pet down

East London and West Essex Guardian Series: Lady Lady

A dog owner who tracked her missing pet to a house where she fears it was used for fighting is warning others to be vigilant.

Danielle Bateman, 21, returned to her home in Crooked Mile, Waltham Abbey, after a shopping trip on Monday to find her beloved three-year-old Staffordshire bull terrier Lady missing.

She said: “I went out to Tesco and came home to find the front door open. There was a bit of wood missing.

“My other dog, a Rottweiler, Roxy, was still there and they normally do everything together.”

She put up missing posters and spoke to neighbours, who told her they had seen her dog being put into a black four-wheel drive.

On Wednesday afternoon, she had an anonymous call giving her an address in Broxbourne, Hertfordshire.

She said: “I went down with a friend. The house was disgusting and messy.

“My friend knocked on the door and the woman who answered tried to hide the dog and shut the door.

“But he put his foot in the door and said ‘that’s my dog.’

“The woman said she’d found her and phoned the police, but they’d bought her a lead.

“They had another Staffie at the home.”

She said Lady was injured and fears she had fought with another dog while being kept in the house.

She added: “She had scratches all over her and she’s not the same dog – she’s nervous and shaken up.

“She’s got a really big scratch on her head. The dog warden came down and said her hair probably won’t grow back there.

“I want to make other dog owners aware.”

Comments (7)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

12:13pm Fri 1 Feb 13

G_Whiz says...

Anyone tell the Police?

Criminal Damage, Theft, cruelty to an animal. and even witnesses!

Lot's of obvious questions, and info missed from this story. Come on Clare, can we have an update!
Anyone tell the Police? Criminal Damage, Theft, cruelty to an animal. and even witnesses! Lot's of obvious questions, and info missed from this story. Come on Clare, can we have an update! G_Whiz

1:01pm Fri 1 Feb 13

Cornbeefur says...

Good news that she got the dog back but has she reported the matter to the police?

It is not right taking the law in her own hands and circumventing procedure.
Good news that she got the dog back but has she reported the matter to the police? It is not right taking the law in her own hands and circumventing procedure. Cornbeefur

1:39pm Fri 1 Feb 13

Alan_1976 says...

Cornbeefur wrote:
Good news that she got the dog back but has she reported the matter to the police?

It is not right taking the law in her own hands and circumventing procedure.
Make up your mind...
Call the police,

Don't call the police.

Have a cup of tea and don't involve the police,

Don't do anything until you've called the police.

Does your instruction vary based upon the prevailing wind direction or upon whether nurse gave you the blue pill or the red pill?
[quote][p][bold]Cornbeefur[/bold] wrote: Good news that she got the dog back but has she reported the matter to the police? It is not right taking the law in her own hands and circumventing procedure.[/p][/quote]Make up your mind... Call the police, Don't call the police. Have a cup of tea and don't involve the police, Don't do anything until you've called the police. Does your instruction vary based upon the prevailing wind direction or upon whether nurse gave you the blue pill or the red pill? Alan_1976

1:52pm Fri 1 Feb 13

Cornbeefur says...

Alan_1976 wrote:
Cornbeefur wrote:
Good news that she got the dog back but has she reported the matter to the police?

It is not right taking the law in her own hands and circumventing procedure.
Make up your mind...
Call the police,

Don't call the police.

Have a cup of tea and don't involve the police,

Don't do anything until you've called the police.

Does your instruction vary based upon the prevailing wind direction or upon whether nurse gave you the blue pill or the red pill?
I did not have my dog stolen.
[quote][p][bold]Alan_1976[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Cornbeefur[/bold] wrote: Good news that she got the dog back but has she reported the matter to the police? It is not right taking the law in her own hands and circumventing procedure.[/p][/quote]Make up your mind... Call the police, Don't call the police. Have a cup of tea and don't involve the police, Don't do anything until you've called the police. Does your instruction vary based upon the prevailing wind direction or upon whether nurse gave you the blue pill or the red pill?[/p][/quote]I did not have my dog stolen. Cornbeefur

1:56pm Fri 1 Feb 13

Alan_1976 says...

Cornbeefur wrote:
Alan_1976 wrote:
Cornbeefur wrote:
Good news that she got the dog back but has she reported the matter to the police?

It is not right taking the law in her own hands and circumventing procedure.
Make up your mind...
Call the police,

Don't call the police.

Have a cup of tea and don't involve the police,

Don't do anything until you've called the police.

Does your instruction vary based upon the prevailing wind direction or upon whether nurse gave you the blue pill or the red pill?
I did not have my dog stolen.
By that response I'll assume today is a special yellow pill day
[quote][p][bold]Cornbeefur[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Alan_1976[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Cornbeefur[/bold] wrote: Good news that she got the dog back but has she reported the matter to the police? It is not right taking the law in her own hands and circumventing procedure.[/p][/quote]Make up your mind... Call the police, Don't call the police. Have a cup of tea and don't involve the police, Don't do anything until you've called the police. Does your instruction vary based upon the prevailing wind direction or upon whether nurse gave you the blue pill or the red pill?[/p][/quote]I did not have my dog stolen.[/p][/quote]By that response I'll assume today is a special yellow pill day Alan_1976

2:34pm Fri 1 Feb 13

LakeBreeze says...

I'm very glad the dog was recovered, but I'm concerned as to why these neighbours who actually witnessed the dog being put into the black car by total strangers did not call the police?

The thieves would still have driven away but at least an immediate reporting of the suspicious activity and a description of the vehicle/number plate might have apprehended these people much earlier, and the dog recovered sooner.

There's a saying, something like "For bad deeds to flourish, all that's necessary is for good people to do nothing."
I'm very glad the dog was recovered, but I'm concerned as to why these neighbours who actually witnessed the dog being put into the black car by total strangers did not call the police? The thieves would still have driven away but at least an immediate reporting of the suspicious activity and a description of the vehicle/number plate might have apprehended these people much earlier, and the dog recovered sooner. There's a saying, something like "For bad deeds to flourish, all that's necessary is for good people to do nothing." LakeBreeze

5:00pm Fri 1 Feb 13

Johnny Boy says...

A Rottie and a Staffie. Why do these dogs have such a bad reputation. Just a thought !
A Rottie and a Staffie. Why do these dogs have such a bad reputation. Just a thought ! Johnny Boy

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree