'Discarded mattress' caused Leyton house fire

The scene of the fire in Walnut Road

The scene of the fire in Walnut Road

First published in Waltham Forest East London and West Essex Guardian Series: Photograph of the Author by , Senior reporter

A FAMILY escaped a house fire thought to have been caused by a mattress in their front garden catching alight.


Fire-fighters were called to the scene in Walnut Road, Leyton, just after 4am Wednesday morning (November 21).


It is believed that the blaze spread from the mattress to the ground floor of the home, which was part damaged.


Two men, a woman and a child were woken by a fire alarm and managed to escape the property before the emergency services arrived.
 

Crew Manager Chris Doone, who attended the incident, said: “At this stage we believe that the fire started in a mattress and divan that were in the garden.


"It’s important that you don’t let rubbish build up outside your home and get it removed as it can easily become a fire hazard."


He added: "Thankfully the family had a working smoke alarm and were alerted to the fire and were able escape the property.


"It’s really important that you have a working smoke alarm in your home as they can buy you vital time to escape if there is a fire.”


The blaze was brought under control by just after 5am.


Ten fire-fighters from Leyton attended the scene.


An investigation into the circumstances of the blaze has been launched.

Comments (2)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

11:44pm Wed 21 Nov 12

G_Whiz says...

A mattress does not just 'catch alight'

Maybe a neighbour was fed up with, what was probably, an ugly eyesore?
A mattress does not just 'catch alight' Maybe a neighbour was fed up with, what was probably, an ugly eyesore? G_Whiz
  • Score: 0

8:42am Thu 22 Nov 12

Miss Magoo says...

So true G_Whiz, such clutter is an absolute eyesore.

I live about a 12 minute drive from a council tip so any rubbish I have I bundle up (even managing to saw down two old sofas into managable bundles) and I take it there straight away.

I understand it may be more difficult for those who don't have transport to do this but I have several car owners down my road who are too lazy to drive to the tip and instead leave coffee tables, carpet, sofas, whole beds, chairs, etc, mouldering away in their front garden for a year or more.

I am however glad the family were able to escape without harm or injury.
So true G_Whiz, such clutter is an absolute eyesore. I live about a 12 minute drive from a council tip so any rubbish I have I bundle up (even managing to saw down two old sofas into managable bundles) and I take it there straight away. I understand it may be more difficult for those who don't have transport to do this but I have several car owners down my road who are too lazy to drive to the tip and instead leave coffee tables, carpet, sofas, whole beds, chairs, etc, mouldering away in their front garden for a year or more. I am however glad the family were able to escape without harm or injury. Miss Magoo
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree