Pensioner rescued from flat fire in Leyton

Pensioner rescued from flat fire

Pensioner rescued from flat fire

First published in Waltham Forest
Last updated
East London and West Essex Guardian Series: Photograph of the Author by , Senior reporter

An elderly woman was rescued from her flat when it caught fire.

It happened in Etloe Close, Leyton, at around 8.45pm on Tuesday.

Fire-fighters helped her from the property and gave her oxygen. She was then taken to hospital by ambulance and treated for smoke inhalation.

A small part of her flat was damaged.

A spokesman for the London Fire Brigade said: "The fire is believed to have been caused by a tea towel left on an electric hob."

Watch Manager Rod Wainwright, from Leyton fire station, who attended the scene, said: “Never leave anything that could catch fire on top of your hob, even when it’s switched off.

"Hobs can be accidentally left on, or can be turned on by mistake – so it’s best to keep it clear at all times.

"Make sure you have a working smoke alarm too, as it will alert you to a fire very quickly, giving you time to escape your home without getting hurt.”

Two fire engines from Leyton fire station attended and brought the fire under control at just after 9pm.
 

Comments

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree