Leyton Orient earned a 2-2 draw at London rivals Brentford after a late Lee Cook strike in their contentious clash this evening.

The visitors got off to a dream start when former Brentford midfielder Martin Rowlands struck a brilliant 30-yard free-kick into the top corner. But the Bees grabbed a quick equaliser when Paul Hayes found the net from close range.

Brentford took the lead before the break with a controversial goal. Goalkeeper Jamie Jones appeared to be impeded by an opponent and Clayton Donaldson took advantage to tap into an empty net. 

The Bees had to play the last half hour with ten men after Jake Bidwell was sent off for a second booking. Brentford conceded a penalty in the last 20 minutes but David Mooney's effort was saved by Simon Moore. 

However the O's rescued a deserved point when Cook fired home to the delight of the away fans in the 86th minute.

The O's made five changes to the team beaten at Doncaster on Saturday. Mooney returned to the side in place of Ade Azeez while Cook and Rowlands came in for Dean Cox and Anthony Griffith.

Scott Cuthbert missed the game through injury and Mathieu Baudry came back into the defence while Lloyd James replaced Leon McSweeney. Elliot Omozusi was named on the bench one day after rejoining Orient following his release from prison. 

Orient had a huge scare in the opening minute when Ben Chorley gave the ball away and Adam Forshaw raced through but he somehow blasted wide with only Jones to beat.

But it was the visitors who stunned the Bees with a spectacular opener after six minutes. Rowlands struck a superb free-kick from outside the area into the top corner and ran the length of the pitch to celebrate the goal against his former club.

The lead did not last long as Brentford equalised just ten minutes later. Orient failed to clear a corner and Hayes managed to direct the ball home from close range. 

Orient constructed a decent attack, following a fine pass from Mooney, when Cook raced down the left wing and passed inside to Jimmy Smith but the midfielder's strike flew over Moore's crossbar. 

The visitors forced another effort on goal but Rowlands' fierce shot failed to find the target.

Brentford came close from a powerful free-kick by Sam Saunders which stung the fingers of Jones who palmed it round for a corner. 

The O's fell behind from the set piece when Jones insisted he was fouled and Donaldson tapped the ball into the unguarded net. The Orient keeper was booked for his protests as Brentford took the lead for the first time. 

Russell Slade's side nearly equalised before the break but Smith's header was denied by a brilliant save from Moore.

Brentford nearly extended their lead ten minutes into the second half when Donaldson controlled the ball but his fierce effort was brilliantly saved by Jones.

The O's first chance after the break came from Gary Sawyer's cross but Mooney's header lacked power and was easily held by Moore.

The Bees were reduced to ten men with half an hour remaining when Bidwell was shown a second yellow card for pulling back Smith. 

Omozusi came on for his first first game back at Orient in place of James.

Orient were handed a lifeline when Charlie MacDonald went down in the area after a Lee Hodson challenge and the referee pointed to the spot. But Mooney's penalty was pushed away after a spectacular save from Moore.

The visitors had another opportunity minutes later when the ball fell to MacDonald but his shot was parried by the Bees keeper. 

Affy Obafemi was brought on for MacDonald in the 79th minute as the O's kept the pressure on as they searched for an equaliser.

Orient grabbed a hard earned draw when Cook found space and struck a fine effort into the corner of the net. 

Brentford: Moore; Craig, Dean, Hodson, Bidwell, Forshaw; Saunders (Diagouraga, 73), Douglas, Adeyemi (Barron, 62); Donaldson, Hayes (Logan, 68)

Subs not used: Lee, Trotta, Forrester, Kiernan

Leyton Orient: Jones; Sawyer, Chorley, Baudry, Odubajo; Smith, Cook, Rowlands, James (Omozusi, 69); Mooney, MacDonald (Obafemi, 79)

Subs not used: Griffith, Symes, Grainger, Lee, Vanderhyde

Referee: P Tierney