Send photos, video and news by texting GUARDIAN SERIES to 80360 (cost 10p), or email us
Leyton Orient boss insists Millwall striker Shaun Batt was a constant threat against Stevenage
Russell Slade described new striker Shaun Batt as a constant threat after his debut against Stevenage.
The Millwall forward, who joined on loan for a month last week, produced an impressive performance in the O's 1-0 win on Saturday. Batt, whose pace and power caused Stevenage numerous problems, was brought in primarily because of his availability in the Johnstone's Paint Trophy.
Orient boss Slade said: "He's [Batt] got that pace and is an awkward customer. He's not played an awful lot of games but he was a constant threat throughout the game to be honest. My plan was always to bring him off after 65 minutes because he's not had so many games and may well play some part in Tuesday's match."
The 25-year-old was happy to get 65 minutes under his belt after not featuring much this season for Millwall.
Batt said: "It was nice to finish with the three points. Ideally I would like to have scored as well but I was happy to contribute to the win which is ultimately the most important thing.
"I've not started a game for a while and I did well to get through 65 minutes. Hopefully I can go again on Tuesday and keep building up my match fitness. It has been quite frustrating at Millwall to be on the bench and not starting. That was the main thing for me to come here, start some games and hopefully score some goals to push Leyton Orient up the league.
"Russell just pulled me aside and said don't worry about pacing myself for the 90 minutes. He wanted me to just go from the first whistle and when I blow up I blow up. He wanted me to be horrible and get in behind and do what I'm good at. I've always been the one in the channels doing the hard work and picking up the loose balls, closing down defenders. That's the game that suits me really."
Batt is out of contract this summer and admits this move is a decent opportunity to earn a permanent deal in the summer.
The former Peterborough striker said: "I'm out of contract at the end of the season. I've had a long injury layoff and missed the last two seasons and haven't played a lot of football so hopefully I'll get myself back in the shop window and earn myself a contract for next season. It's been a good start so far and I definitely wouldn't rule it out [joining the O's]. I've settled in well and the manager's been good to me and the players have as well."
Comments are closed on this article.