Leyton Orient climbed back into the automatic promotion places in League 1 after a 2-0 win at Shrewsbury Town tonight. 

Russell Slade's side had to wait until the 28th minute for their first effort on target but they made it count as Moses Odubajo scored from a tight angle. 

Orient were never at their fluent best but a late Tamika Mkandawire own goal sealed a crucial victory which took them above Wolves in the table.

The O's handed a debut to Hull City goalkeeper Eldin Jakupovic after he joined on loan this afternoon. Orient also gave a first appearance to Norwich City striker Jamar Loza alongside the returning Kevin Lisbie.

Midfielder Marvin Bartley recovered to take his place in the side with Jamie Ness dropping down to the bench alongside fit again Robbie Simpson and Spurs striker Shaq Coulthirst. 

The hosts created the first decent opportunity when Tom Eaves set up Aaron Wildig but he fired his effort wide of the target.

Paul Parry found himself in plenty of space in Orient's half but he blasted his shot well over the crossbar.

The O's opened the scoring with their first attack of the game as they ruthlessly punished the Shrews. Loza released Odubajo and the winger rounded keeper Chris Weale before tucking the ball home from an acute angle. 

Shrewsbury should have done better from a decent attacking position but Nicky Wroe's long-range strike drifted wide of Jakupovic's post. 

The visitors went close to adding a second goal just after the restart but Dean Cox's shot was pushed round the post by Weale. 

The home side spurned a great opportunity to equalise when Eaves raced clear but he fired his shot narrowly past the post.

Slade made his first substitution when he brought on Yohann Lasimant in place of debutant Loza.

Orient launched another attack which should have resulted in a goal but Odubajo's volley, from Cox's cross, was blocked by Weale and Lasimant's follow up was cleared by a defender. 

The Shrews were still looking a threat and  Wildig went close as he curled a shot from outside the area just past Jakupovic's post.

Cox had an opportunity from outside the area but the winger's strike was always rising over the top of the bar. 

Paul Parry fired over a free-kick from just outside the box as the hosts pressed for an equaliser in the last 15 minutes.

The O's made a second change late on as Simpson came on in place of goalscorer Odubajo. 

Orient sealed the points in the 87th minute when Mkandawire headed Cox's corner into his own net to the delight of the small group of travelling fans. 

Ness was brought on for his first league appearance late on in place of Bartley as the O's picked up a valuable three points in their quest for promotion. 

Shrewsbury Town: Weale; Woods (Grandison, 76), Mkandawire; Winfield, Jacobson; Parry (Hall, 84), Taylor, Wroe (Bradshaw, HT), McAllister, Wildig; Eaves 

Subs not used: Anyon, Jones, McQuade, Marsden

Leyton Orient: Jakupovic; Omozusi, Clarke, Baudry, Cuthbert; Cox, James, Bartley (Ness, 89), Odubajo (Simpson, 84); Lisbie, Loza (Lasimant, 57)

Subs not used: Sawyer, Larkins, Gorman, Coulthirst

Referee: Scott Mathieson

Attendance: 4,194 (144 Orient fans)