Chris Dagnall made an instant impact as the new striker came off the bench to score twice as Leyton Orient won 2-1 at Crewe in League 1 this afternoon. 

After a scrappy first half, the hosts opened scoring in the 53rd minute when Byron Moore netted from close range.

But Chris Dagnall marked his debut with a goal when the striker netted Orient's equaliser just 15 minutes after coming on at the break. It got even better seven minutes later when Dagnall struck again for the O's winner.

It was a dramatic turnaround from the East Londoners as they completed a superb comeback which took them five points clear of third-placed Wolves in the race for automatic promotion. 

The O's made one change to the side which thrashed Carlisle United with Jamie Ness making his first league start in place of the injured Marvin Bartley.

New signing Dagnall was named on the bench after the former Barnsley striker joined on Thursday. Midfielder Romain Vincelot was also fit to be selected as a substitute following his knee injury.

Crewe forced the first effort on goal but Bradden Inman's long-range strike was easily saved by Eldin Jakupovic.

The visitors created their first opportunity after a long pass from Lloyd James but Kevin Lisbie's effort was blocked by keeper Ben Garratt. 

Jakupovic was called into action again when he made a decent save to keep out Ajay Leitch-Smith's half-volley. 

It was a pretty untidy first half with both sides struggling to hold onto the ball. But the visitors wasted a decent chance when Dean Cox's cross was headed wide by Moses Odubajo. 

Chuks Aneke had a late opportunity in the first half but the striker's effort was deflected behind for a corner.

The O's thought they should have had a penalty when Odubajo appeared to be shoved in the area by Matt Tootle but the referee waved play on. 

Orient made a bold change at half-time with Dagnall introduced for his debut in place of the ineffective Robbie Simpson. 

Russell Slade's side had an early chance in the second half to get an opener but Ness' half-volley was deflected over the bar. 

The O's fell behind in the 53rd minute when Aneke's shot was saved by Jakupovic but fell perfectly for Moore to tap into the empty net.

But substitute Dagnall celebrated a memorable debut when the striker ran onto Cox's long ball and fired in an equaliser for Orient.

The visitors made their second change when Vincelot was brought on in place of Ness. 

It took just just seven minutes for Dagnall to net his second goal of the game when the striker turned in Mathieu Baudry's knockdown from close range to the delight of the away supporters.

Crewe searched for an equaliser and increasingly went direct but the visitors' defence held firm.

There was a late scare for Orient but Uche Ikpeazu's shot was deflected wide as the O's held on for another vital three points. 

Crewe: Garratt; Mellor, Davis, Ellis, Tootle; Moore (Pogba, 84), Osman (Evans, 86), Grant, Inman; Aneke, Leitch-Smith (Ikpeazu, 74)

Subs not used: Martin, Ray, Guthrie, Waters

Leyton Orient: Jakupovic; Omozusi, Clarke, Baudry, Cuthbert; Cox, Ness (Vincelot, 61), James, Odubajo; Lisbie, Simpson (Dagnall, HT)

Subs not used: Sawyer, Larkins, Lasimant, Loza, Coulthirst

Referee: Andy  Woolmer

Attendance: 4,830 (504 Orient fans)