Leyton Orient were knocked off the top of League 1 by Wolves despite a fortunate 2-1 home win over Colchester United this afternoon.

Orient led 1-0 at the break after a stunning volley from David Mooney. But Colchester were the better side and deservedly levelled after 79 minutes through a Marcus Bean header.

The hosts snatched a late winner, which was very harsh on the visitors, when Moses Odubajo raced clear and fired home to send the Orient fans wild. 

The O's made two changes to the side which defeated Swindon last weekend. Mathieu Baudry was ruled out with a hamstring injury and Gary Sawyer was brought in with Scott Cuthbert switching to centre-back.

Former Colchester striker Kevin Lisbie was also recalled to the side with Chris Dagnall having to settle for a place on the bench.

The visitors made a decent start to the contest and forced their first effort on goal through Freddie Sears but the former West Ham United forward's volley was straight at Eldin Jakupovic. 

Orient grabbed the opening goal after 21 minutes when Dean Cox sent in a cross and Mooney struck a superb volley into the net. 

It was a welcome breakthrough for the hosts who had struggled to find their fluency in the opening 20 minutes of the game. 

The hosts went close to extending their lead when Lisbie fired in a shot but Sam Walker managed to turn it round the post for a corner. 

Mooney had a long distance effort on goal but Walker got down to make a comfortable save. 

Dominic Vose attacked on the break for Colchester but dragged his shot harmlessly wide of Jakupovic's post. 

The visitors ended the half strongly and went close again through Craig Eastmond but his header looped over the bar. 

The O's were indebted to Jakupovic at the start of the second half when the Bosnian keeper made a couple of vital saves to deny Gavin Massey from equalising. 

Colchester were enjoying the better of the match after the restart and Orient needed an injection of energy to regain control of the clash. 

Cox had an opportunity for the hosts but the winger's curling effort was straight at Walker. 

Russell Slade made his first change when he introduced Shaun Batt for goalscorer Mooney. 

The visitors were still threatening to score an equaliser and fired in another effort from Jabo Ibhere but it was too close to Jakupovic.

Orient made a second change when Marvin Bartley replaced Lloyd James.

Colchester earned a deserved equaliser with 11 minutes remaining when substitute Bean headed home. 

But Slade's side restored their lead after 83 minutes when Batt released Odubajo and the winger sprinted clear to fire the ball into the bottom corner of the net. 

The O's made their final change late on when Dagnall replaced former Colchester striker Lisbie.

There were five minutes of injury time for United to find the equaliser they deserved but Orient held on for a vital win in their quest for automatic promotion. 

Leyton Orient: Jakupovic; Omozusi, Clarke, Cuthbert, Sawyer; Cox, James (Bartley, 74), Vincelot, Odubajo; Lisbie (Dagnall, 89), Mooney (Batt, 68)

Subs not used: Larkins, Lasimant, Bartley, Simpson, Ness

Colchester United: Walker; Dickson, Eastman, Okuonghae, Wilson; Vose (Bonne, 67), Eastmond (Bean, 60), Wright (Sanderson, 85), Massey; Sears, Ibehre

Subs not used: Cousins, Morrison, Olufemi, Sesay 

Referee: David Webb

Attendance: 6,323