Leyton Orient's automatic promotion hopes were hit after they could only manage a 0-0 draw at bottom side Notts County this afternoon.

Notts County came out fired up after being thrashed 6-0 last weekend but it was a game that was devoid of quality on a very bad playing surface.

Orient struggled to create clear cut chances and could not argue with the result as third-placed Brentford closed the gap on them in the League 1 promotion race. 

The O's made one change to the side which defeated Colchester United with top scorer David Mooney ruled out due to a rib injury. Chris Dagnall returned to partner Kevin Lisbie in attack while Jamar Loza was brought onto the bench.

Orient had a big scare in the opening minutes when a mistake by Scott Cuthbert let in debutant Nathan Tyson but the O's defender recovered to help stop the striker from finding the target.

The hosts' strong start continued when Gary Liddle went close as his long-range strike was pushed round the post by Eldin Jakupovic. 

The O's created their first opportunity from Nathan Clarke's long throw but Dagnall failed to connect properly from close range and the ball was easily saved by Bartosz Bialkowski. 

Russell Slade's side produced an excellent move involving Moses Odubajo and Dagnall but the eventual effort from Dean Cox floated over the bar. 

Odubajo struck the crossbar with a fierce effort but the referee had already blown up for a foul against the visitors.

The hosts went close at the end of the first half when Callum McGregor fired in a spectacular volley which hit the roof of Jakupovic's net. 

The O's had an opportunity after the restart but Dagnall's header, from a Gary Sawyer cross, lacked power and was easily saved.

Notts County responded and went close through Jamal Campbell-Ryce but his powerful strike flew past the post. 

Lloyd James fired in a long distance shot but the midfielder's effort flew harmlessly over the hosts' bar as the match edged towards the hour mark. 

Orient went close when Romain Vincelot sent in a cross-shot but Bialkowski tipped the ball over for a corner. 

Notts County came within inches of opening the scoring after Tyson sent in a cross but Campbell-Ryce drilled a low shot just past the post. 

The visitors made their first change in the final 20 minutes when Shaun Batt was introduced in place of Dagnall.

Winger Cox found himself in a decent position but his shot was straight into the arms of the keeper. 

Notts County were finishing the match the stronger side and Hayden Mullins had an opportunity but could only volley wide of the target.

Cox had a late effort which he lashed wide as Orient's three-match winning run ended with a disappointing draw at Meadow Lane. 

Notts County: Bialkowski; Dumbuya, Smith, Leacock, Sheehan; Campbell-Ryce, Liddle, Mullins, Grealish; Tyson, McGregor

Subs not used: Spiess, Waite, Murray, Fotheringham, Hollis, Boucaud, Dixon

Leyton Orient: Jakupovic; Omozusi, Clarke, Cuthbert, Sawyer; Cox, Vincelot, James, Odubajo; Lisbie, Dagnall (Batt, 72)

Subs not used: Larkins, Lasimant, Bartley, Loza, Simpson, Ness

Referee: Graham Salisbury

Attendance: 4,680 (867)