Crostyx Under-12 girls secured a third place finish at the Essex tournament held at Redbridge Hockey Club at the weekend.

The side were in a tough group with Old Loughts A, Blue Hornets B, Colchester and Chelmsford.

Lucy Leel netted in the first match but Crostyx were beaten 2-1 by Colchester.

They improved against Chelmsford and clinched a 4-0 win. Leel grabbed a hat-trick and there was also a goal for Clara Johnson.

Old Loughts were up next and the game was closely contested. Ruby James and Siena Crossley worked well in the Crostyx defence and the match ended goalless.

A 2-0 win against Blue Hornets B followed thanks to another goal from Leel and a strike from Helene Standring.

The victory saw Crostyx progress from their group and they took on Blue Hornets A in the semi-final. Crostyx conceded three goals early on and, despite grabbing a consolation, they were beaten 3-1.

They went on to win the third place play-off 1-0 thanks to a goal from Clara Johnson.

Meanwhile, Crostyx Under-10 boys competed in the In2 Hockey National Championships and finished in fourth.

The side’s first match ended in a 1-0 defeat to Blue Hornets A but an impressive display followed against Blue Hornets B and Crostyx claimed a 3-0 win.

Upminster were up next and an early goal from Zak Sheikh put Crostyx in front. However, Upminster fought back and a late goal helped them complete a 2-1 victory.

Crostyx responded with wins against Chelmsford and Colchester and, in their final match against local rivals Old Loughtonians, they were beaten 2-1.

The result meant Crostyx finished fourth but the side know that a top two spot at this level is attainable and that is the aim for next season.

Despite being crowned Division 2C champions last week, Crostyx ended their season with a 2-1 win against Colchester Seconds. 

Alys Hackett broke the deadlock in the opening five minutes as she fired home from the edge of the D.

Colchester netted a reply but a late goal from Carrie Curtis secured the victory.

Elsewhere, a depleted Crostyx ladies’ Seconds suffered a disappointing 8-0 defeat against Romford.