Leyton Orient's automatic promotion hopes suffered another setback after conceding a 90th minute equaliser in their 1-1 draw at home to Oldham Athletic.

It was a pretty indifferent first half but the hosts grabbed the opener just before the break when Scott Cuthbert headed home.

The second period was similarly unconvincing and Orient were punished late on when Korey Smith hit a spectacular volley into the net in the 90th minute.

The O's made two changes to the side held by Walsall. Kevin Lisbie returned up front in place of Chris Dagnall while Marvin Bartley replaced the suspended Romain Vincelot. 

It was a notable game for Dean Cox as the winger made his 200th appearance for Orient. 

Oldham made a decent start and forced Eldin Jakupovic into a save from Jonson Clarke-Harris' header.

The visitors threatened again through David Worrall but his effort was deflected out for a corner by Eldin Jakupovic. 

Russell Slade was forced into an early change as Bartley pulled up with an injury and Jamie Ness took his place. 

Oldham had a decent opportunity through Clarke-Harris but he fired his effort straight at Jakupovic.

The O's finally came to life on the half hour mark as Cox broke down the left but Kevin Lisbie headed his cross wide of the target.

Orient went close again through another Cox delivery but Moses Odubajo fired the ball into the side netting. 

Oldham should have done better from an attack when Danny Philliskirk fired straight at Jakupovic from inside the area. 

Philliskirk fired in another effort as the visitors finished the half in the ascendancy. 

But the O's grabbed a crucial opener before the break when Cox sent in a corner and Cuthbert headed past Paul Rachubka.

It could have got even better when David Mooney's shot was saved by the visiting keeper.

The visitors tested Jakupovic after the restart when Gary Harkins' curling free-kick was pushed around the post.

Orient came so close to doubling their lead through Cuthbert again but his header was superbly saved by Rachubka.

The O's had a scare from an Oldham attack as former Orient striker Charlie MacDonald was denied by Jakupovic and Cuthbert blocked the follow up effort from Philliskirk.

Mooney carved out an opportunity for himself but the Irish striker's lob floated just over the away crossbar.

Slade made a second change as he brought on Dagall for a tiring Lisbie and this was quickly followed by Robbie Simpson for Mooney.

Oldham had a great chance to equalise in the last five minutes when MacDonald blasted wide of Jakupovic's post. 

But the O's were punished in the 90th minute when Smith struck a stunning volley into the net to deny Slade's side a precious win. 

Leyton Orient: Jakupovic; Omozusi, Clarke, Baudry, Cuthbert; Cox, James, Bartley (Ness, 20), Odubajo; Lisbie (Dagnall, 75), Mooney (Simpson, 86)

Subs not used: Jones, Sawyer, Lasimant, Gorman

Oldham: Rachubka; Grounds, Wilson, Lockwood, Brown; Harkins, Philliskirk, Smith, Wesolowski (Dayton, 62); Clarke-Harris (MacDonald, 62), Worrall (Millar, 77)

Subs not used: Oxley, Dunfield, Winchester, Gafaiti

Referee: Lee Collins

Attendance: 3,645