Wolves virtually clinched the League 1 title after edging to a flattering 3-1 win at Leyton Orient this afternoon at a sold out Brisbane Road.

The league leaders opened the scoring through Richard Stearman's header before Bakary Sako put clear daylight between the sides. 

But Orient produced an excellent response and were deservedly rewarded with a goal from Dean Cox at the start of the second half.

Russell Slade's side threw everything at Kenny Jackett's side but were denied a point by a superb performance from visiting keeper Carl Ikeme. Wolves sealed the win in injury time through a James Henry strike.

The O's made two changes to the side beaten at Crawley on Friday. Gary Sawyer came into the defence in place of the injured Elliot Omozusi while John Lundstram started ahead of Lloyd James. Kevin Lisbie again missed out with a hip and groin injury.

After a quiet opening, the visitors struck the first decisive blow with a goal in the 17th minute. Michael Jacobs sent in a corner which was flicked on by Danny Batth and Stearman headed home at the far post.

The breakthrough lifted Wolves and the away side went close to extending their lead but Sako's shot was saved by Jamie Jones.

Orient created their first opportunity when Mathieu Baudry headed over Cox's cross.

But the hosts felt they should have had a penalty when David Mooney's strike appeared to be blocked by Stearman's arm.

The O's were punished as they fell further behind in the 32nd minute. Nouha Dicko laid the ball off to Sako and he struck a firm effort into the net.

Orient needed a lifeline and almost got one but Mooney's low effort was saved by Ikeme.

Slade's side came agonisingly close to getting a goal back but Ikeme did superbly to tip Nathan Clarke's header over the bar. 

The hosts thought they had got on the scoresheet before the break when Chris Dagnall nodded in after Romain Vincelot headed against the bar but it was ruled out for offside. 

Orient carried on from where they left off at the start of the second half but Dagnall and Mooney were both denied by saves from the impressive Ikeme.

The O's would not relent and were handed a way back into the match when Cox rifled the ball into the bottom corner of the net after the visitors had failed to clear the danger.

Wolves created a decent chance through Dicko but no-one was able to get on the end of his ball across the goal.

Orient spurned a golden opportunity when Ikeme dropped a cross but Mooney blasted his shot high and wide of the target. 

Dicko was looking very dangerous on the break and the striker struck a volley which forced Jones into a save.

The O's made their first change when Shaun Batt was brought on in place of Dagnall. 

Wolves nearly added a third goal through Dave Edwards but his rasping drive forced Jones into an excellent save. 

An incredible goalmouth scramble saw Wolves survive another Orient attack. Batt headed against the bar and Mooney followed up but his header was pushed round the post by Ikeme.

Slade made his second substitution when he introduced James in place of Vincelot. This was quickly followed by Yohann Lasimant as the French attacker replaced Mooney. 

Orient were handed five minutes of injury time to find an equaliser but Wolves sealed the points through Henry's powerful strike to all but clinch the title in front of their jubilant fans. 

Leyton Orient: Jones; Sawyer, Clarke, Baudry, Cuthbert; Cox, Lundstram, Vincelot (James, 75), Odubajo; Mooney (Lasimant, 83), Dagnall (Batt, 66)

Subs not used: Larkins, Gorman, Simpson, Ness

Wolves: Ikeme; Golbourne, Stearman, Batth, Ricketts; Sako (Evans, 83), Price, McDonald, Edwards, Jacobs (Henry, 74); Dicko (Clarke, 74)

Subs not used: McCarey, McAlinden, Ebanks-Landell, Doherty

Referee: Neil Swarbrick

Attendance: 8,161