Leyton Orient slumped to a shock 2-1 home defeat to Chesterfield in their League 1 opener this afternoon.

The script for the new season was torn up early on when Romuald Boco fired the visitors into an unexpected lead. 

Orient fell further behind with Eoin Doyle adding the second goal before debutant Darius Henderson pulled one back late on. But Russell Slade's side could not find an equaliser as last year's play-off finalists suffered a disappointing start to the campaign.

The O's handed first appearances to three summer signings with goalkeeper Adam Legzdins, defender Shane Lowry and midfielder Bradley Pritchard all starting. Henderson, Jay Simpson and Jobi McAnuff were all named on the bench.

The newly-promoted visitors got off to the ideal start after seven minutes when Boco drilled a low shot past Legzdins into the bottom corner of the net.

Orient had a let off when they almost conceded a second goal after Doyle raced through and fired a shot which cannoned off the O's post.

The hosts created their first decent opening but David Mooney was denied by the legs of Lee. Orient kept up the pressure and Dean Cox's fierce strike was parried by the keeper and Kevin Lisbie could only send the follow up straight at Lee.

Orient should have done better after an incisive attack saw Elliot Omozusi's cross headed wide of the post by Pritchard. 

Chesterfield threatened again through Gary Roberts but his strike was deflected just wide by one of his team-mates. 

The O's spurned a glorious opportunity after 40 minutes when Lee spilled a cross but Lisbie could only fire straight at the relieved keeper. 

Lowry could only blast his strike well over the bar early on in the second period for the hosts.

Chesterfield nearly doubled their lead as they broke clear and Doyle was denied by an excellent save from Legzdins. 

Slade made a double substitution with more than half an hour remaining as Simpson and McAnuff came on for their debuts in place of Lisbie and Pritchard. 

The visitors wasted another chance to extend their advantage when Doyle could only head straight at Legzdins. 

Former Nottingham Forest striker Henderson was introduced as a substitute for his O's debut in place of Mooney. 

Chesterfield doubled their lead 11 minutes from time when Doyle lobbed Legzdins before making sure the ball crossed the line.

But Orient pulled one back shortly afterwards when Lee failed to hold a free-kick and Henderson fired home from close-range.

The O's pressed for an equaliser but could not find one and suffered a poor start to a season where they have installed as one of the promotion favourites. 

Orient: Legzdins; Omozusi, Clarke, Baudry, Lowry; Cox, Vincelot, James, Pritchard (McAnuff, 59); Mooney (Henderson, 71), Lisbie (Simpson, 59)

Subs not used: Sawyer, Bartley, Batt, Woods

Chesterfield: Lee; Jones, Cooper, Evatt, Darikwa; Humphreys, Ryan, Morsy, Roberts, Boco; Doyle

Subs not used: Chapman, Hird, Raglan, Johnson, Banks, Dawes, O'Shea

Referee: Mike Bull 

Attendance: 5,619