Leyton Orient stunned Premier League Aston Villa after snatching a shock 1-0 win in the Capital One Cup second round.

Russell Slade's side more than held their own at Villa Park but the match appeared to be heading to extra time until substitute Romain Vincelot headed home a dramatic 87th minute winner. 

The O's made a host of changes for the tie with Nathan Clarke, Jobi McAnuff, Vincelot and Darius Henderson all left out of the side.

David Mooney took over the captaincy and led the attack alongside Jay Simpson. Former Villa defender Shane Lowry was handed the opportunity to impress for the O's while goalkeeper Gary Woods returned following his penalty heroics at Plymouth in the last round.

Paul Lambert handed a debut to Joe Cole while striker Darren Bent made his first start for the club in more than a year.

Leandro Bacuna fired in the first shot of the game but his effort was blocked by Mathieu Baudry.

Cole found space on the edge of the area but the former West Ham midfielder's curling effort was straight into Woods' arms. 

Villa dominated possession and territory in the opening 25 minutes but were struggling to break down a very disciplined Orient side. 

The hosts went close to opening the scoring when Bent was put through on goal but Woods made a vital block with his feet to deny Villa a goal.

Orient had an opportunity on a rare attack but Mooney could only head wide from Elliot Omozusi's cross. 

The O's were growing in confidence and Mooney played in Dean Cox but two efforts from the winger were blocked by defenders. 

Kieran Richardson fired an ambitious strike wide of Woods' post early on in the second half.

Bacuna should have done better when he received the ball in on goal but his touch let him down and it rolled through to the keeper. 

Orient made their first change as Scott Cuthbert was introduced in place of Gary Sawyer.

The hosts went close from a corner but Nathan Baker headed narrowly over the crossbar.

Slade made another substitution with striker Chris Dagnall coming on in place of Mooney.

Orient came so close to taking the lead but Baudry's header was brilliantly pushed onto the bar by Shay Given.

From the next attack Simpson put the ball into the net from close range but Villa were relieved to see the offside flag go up. 

The visitors had another opportunity from a corner but Baudry could not direct his header on target this time. 

With time running out Bent had a chance but the striker blasted his effort high and wide. 

Bent was handed an even better opportunity with a pass releasing him but he struck his shot into the side netting.

Orient made their final change with less than ten minutes remaining when Vincelot replaced Marvin Bartley.

Villa were really pushing for a late winner but Baker headed over the bar. 

But the O's stunned Aston Villa in the 87th minute when Bradley Pritchard's cross was headed home by Vincelot for a remarkable winner.

Aston Villa: Given; Richardson, Baker, Senderos, Hutton; Grealish, Bacuna, Westwood, Cole (Weimann, 62), Sanchez; Bent

Subs not used: Guzan, Clark, Agbonlahor, Delph, Herd, N'Zogbia

Leyton Orient: Woods; Omozusi, Baudry, Lowry, Sawyer (Cuthbert, 62); Cox, Bartley (Vincelot, 83), James, Pritchard; Mooney (Dagnall, 66), Simpson

Subs not used: Legzdins, Clarke, Lee, Henderson

Referee: Chris Boyeson

Attendance: 17,918