Allardyce seeks assurances over West Ham job following takeover rumours (From East London and West Essex Guardian Series)
Send photos, video and news by texting GUARDIAN SERIES to 80360 (cost 10p), or upload here
Hammers boss told job is safe by owners
10:35am Thursday 2nd June 2011 in Sport
NEW West Ham boss Sam Allardyce has sought assurances over his position from club co-owner David Sullivan, following rumours of a takeover bid by AirAsia chief Tony Fernandes.
Allardyce has lost his job on two occasions as a result of ownership changing hands, at both Blackburn Rovers and Newcastle United, but he has been assured that Sullivan and business partner David Gold are in it for the long haul at Upton Park.
“My information, having spoken to David Sullivan, was that he did not want to sell West Ham football club, because it is his club,” Allardyce told Sky Sports News. “It is the club he has always supported.
“That was one of the reasons I took the job, because I didn’t want any fractions in terms of change of ownership.
“My reputation has already suffered wrongly by new ownerships at Newcastle and Blackburn dispensing of my services when there was no real credibility in that other than the fact that they were new owners and didn’t want me.
“It wasn’t down to results, it wasn’t down to the way I have performed as a manager, so, if that’s the case and that materialises then obviously I am surprised at that.”
Fernandes announced on his Twitter feed that a bid had been made for the Hammers, but the claims have been denied by both Sullivan and Gold.
Comments are closed on this article.