Macauley Bonne scored twice for Leyton Orient as they comfortably returned to winning ways away from home with a 2-0 victory at Woking.

Bonne, who spent part of last season on loan at the Cards, scored a brace in the second half as Orient recovered from their midweek horror show to pick up all three points.

The performance was a massive improvement on that last time out, which saw Orient beaten 6-1 at Bromley.

Steve Davis made two changes to the starting line-up for the trip to the Laithwaite Community Stadium, with Jobi McAnuff and James Dayton coming in for Romuald Boco and Josh Koroma.

Orient started on the front foot, but without really testing Nathan Baxter in the Woking goal.

The O’s nearly went ahead in bizarre circumstances early on, with Josh Staunton almost heading into his own goal from a ball back by Joe Ward but the ball dropped the wrong side of the post.

Bonne then fired over the top as Orient looked to turn the screw, with David Mooney then seeing his ball across goal just evade McAnuff at the far post.

However, Orient allowed their hosts to grow into the game – with Richard Orlu heading wide before Jamie Philpot curled just wide of the far corner in the best chance of the half.

Dayton almost marked his return to the starting XI with a goal, but curled a free-kick in a dangerous area narrowly wide just before the interval.

Orient came out with intent early in the second half, with a long ball picking out Dayton who saw his fierce volley well saved at his near post by Baxter.

Alex Lawless then fired just over the top after some neat play from the O’s, before Davis’ men broke the deadlock after 50 minutes.

Ex-Woking player Jake Caprice burst down the right-hand side before his low cross picked out Bonne at the near post, and the striker continued from where he left off on Tuesday night to side-foot home from close range.

Orient showed no sign of the side who lost 6-1 at Bromley on Tuesday, with some great defending from the central defensive duo of George Elokobi and Josh Coulson keeping the Cards at bay as Inih Effiong seeing an effort blocked.

As the game progressed gaps opened up in the home defence, with Baxter doing well to punch clear Dayton’s inswinging free-kick before Elokobi could head in with ten minutes to go.

A long ball from Charlie Grainger in the O’s goal then almost supplied Bonne with a second goal, but the striker’s header went straight at Baxter before Lawless saw a goalbound strike blocked by the home defence.

However, Orient went on to wrap up the points eight minutes from time.

David Mooney sent Bonne through down the left, and after beating Louis Ramsay he slotted beyond the diving Baxter and into the far corner from a tight angle.

It was a solid performance from the Matchroom Stadium outfit, with Woking registering their first shot on target in stoppage time as Grainger made a comfortable save from a Joe Ward effort.

Next up for Leyton Orient is a trip to the Silverlake Stadium on Saturday, with Eastleigh going into the game on the back of a 2-0 win against promotion favourites Tranmere Rovers.

Woking: Baxter, Ramsay, Ralph, Staunton, Orlu, Bawling (Banton 72), Isaac, Effiong, Philpot, Ferdinand (Carter 62), Ward. Subs not used: Mason, Wynter, Young.

Leyton Orient: Grainger, Caprice, Widdowson, Lawless, Elokobi, McAnuff (Koroma 89), Lee (Clay 68), Bonne, Mooney, Coulson, Dayton (Boco 90). Subs not used: Sargent, Sendles-White.