Leyton Orient snatched a dramatic last minute equaliser to rescue a 1-1 draw at home to Eastleigh in the National League.

The O’s wasted a glorious chance to take the lead in the first half when David Mooney chipped his penalty wide of the target.

This proved costly just before the break when the hosts conceded a penalty of their own and Ayo Obileye fired in.

But Orient left it late as Craig Clay fired home deep into eight minutes of injury time to maintain their unbeaten home record.

The O’s made one change to the side which won at Woking with Clay coming into the midfield in place of the injured Charlie Lee.

Captain Mooney had the first opportunity for the hosts but the striker’s shot from a tight angle was blocked by goalkeeper Graham Stack.

O’s keeper Charlie Grainger was fortunate to get away with a poor clearance after James Constable fired wide from distance.

Orient were awarded a penalty just after the half hour mark when Sam Wood recklessly challenged James Dayton in the area. But the hosts spurned the chance to take the lead with Mooney chipping an awful spot-kick wide of the post.

The hosts went close before the break but Mooney sent his header from Alex Lawless’ cross past Stack’s far post.

Eastleigh were given a penalty of their own at the end of the half after Lawless tripped Mark Yeates. The visitors punished Orient and made no mistake as Obileye slotted home the opening goal.

Obileye almost scored again at the start of the second period but his header cannoned back off the post.

The O’s had another scare when Yeates’ low strike was not held by Grainger but Chris Zebroski’s follow-up effort was saved.

Eastleigh were looking increasingly dangerous and Yeates fired in another effort after cutting inside but it was straight at the Orient keeper.

The hosts made a double change with about 20 minutes remaining as Josh Koroma and Romuald Boco replaced Mooney and Jobi McAnuff.

Orient’s frustration was growing and a free-kick which sailed over the bar from James Dayton did not help their cause.

Substitute Boco fired in an ambitious shot from distance but the strike rose over Stack’s crossbar.

Due to an injury to Stack, there were six minutes of injury time allocated at the end of the match.

Lawless also fired in an effort from well outside the area but his shot rose over the target.

The O’s put the ball in the net in stoppage time but Macauley Bonne was offside.

But in the final minute of injury time Orient snatched a point after Boco’s header was blocked and Clay’s deflected strike crossed the line, despite a desperate attempt to clear the ball, which sparked wild celebrations from the home fans.

Leyton Orient: Grainger; Caprice, Coulson, Elokobi, Widdowson; Dayton, Clay, Lawless, McAnuff (Boco, 69); Bonne, Mooney (Koroma, 69)

Subs not used: Sargeant, Sendles-White, Ochieng

Eastleigh: Stack; Obileye, Boyce, Howe, Wood (Green, 61); Constable, Togwell, Hollands, Yeates; Zebroski (McAllister, 71), Williamson (Matthews, 76)

Subs not used: Flitney, Miley

Referee: Neil Hair

Attendance: 4,373